WOT problems

Craigore

TT Racer
Stretched her legs on a nice 200 mile trip from my parents house

anyway, notice when I try to accellerate fast and really crack the throttle, there is a little surge and then the bike picks up. Doesn't do this if accellerating evenly throught however.

You think that my main is too small or is this a limitation of the carbs not being large enough themselves?

Ps- I have 145 mains in there, 2 shims, k&n pods

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Have you done any airbox/pipes mods? What do the RPMs do during this phenomenon? It might be that your clutch is slipping if you have the stock springs. You'd see the revs build fast without the speedo matching, under WOT, then the speed will build. Stop doing WOT until you get new clutch springs.

Craigore

TT Racer
I have Emgo pipes, stock carbs, and no airbox. I sold my tach :(

I thought it was clutch slipping too, sounds like I will have to get some new springs?

Weird, bike only has 4,000 miles on it.

coopv2

Street Tracker
sounds like fuel surge or stumble. I cant believe there are guys running 145-150 mains, seems way to rich. after my dyno run I dropped down from my guess of 138 main to 127, that is with dual opening unrestricted airbox, unifilter, modified stock carbs
but with out a dyno run with the gas analyzer, I would suggest to reset your float levels. in case they are too low, Sync the carbs, and get a tune on the dyno. cant go wrong then.

Craigore

TT Racer
sounds like fuel surge or stumble. I cant believe there are guys running 145-150 mains, seems way to rich. after my dyno run I dropped down from my guess of 138 main to 127, that is with dual opening unrestricted airbox, unifilter, modified stock carbs
but with out a dyno run with the gas analyzer, I would suggest to reset your float levels. in case they are too low, Sync the carbs, and get a tune on the dyno. cant go wrong then.

the float levels should be fine, and I synched last fall... hmmm
Am gonna get on that dyno ASAP!

nohawk

Rocker
I think BlueJ is right. I have about the same set up you have but 140 mains and had the problem. Replaced clutch springs and all is good.

Craigore

TT Racer
Question for the pros: do you have to remove the basket to get at the springs or can you just undo the 4 bolts holding the "spring holding plate" on?

I'll have to call my dealer to see if they have a new gasket. HEY, Mobil1 4t is on sale for $8/qt at Autozone...

Last edited:

Craigore

TT Racer
the ferrule on my clutch cable has broken so as a last resort I'm going to try to adjust it to spec as suggested in the manual.

I'm friggin broke right now

yellowrubiu

Street Tracker
the ferrule on my clutch cable has broken so as a last resort I'm going to try to adjust it to spec as suggested in the manual.

I'm friggin broke right now

I had the same exact problem after I installed my clutch lifter dressup kit. It turned out to be the cable was too tight and there wasn't enough slack to allow the clutch to fully engage. After a little adjustment to allow for some slack everything went back to normal.

nohawk

Rocker
Question for the pros: do you have to remove the basket to get at the springs or can you just undo the 4 bolts holding the "spring holding plate" on?

I'll have to call my dealer to see if they have a new gasket. HEY, Mobil1 4t is on sale for $8/qt at Autozone...

You don't remove anything but the cover and the four bolts and springs. Have your new gasket ready and clean off the old gasket material without gouging the butter soft case. I can't remember the tourque on the spring bolts but it isn't much, something like 8 in/lbs, so use a good wrench. I like the cheap pointer types.

Kframe

Street Tracker
CV carbs don't like it when you whack the throttle wide open from a 1/4 open cruising position. Makes 'em stumble.
A slightly slower twist to full throttle solves this 'problem'.
-K