Wiring Showing Its Age

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Any suggestions for repairing the wiring harness (other than electrical tape)?

After 9 years, some connections are now a bit exposed and a few of the rubber boots are starting to split open or fall off. Any ideas?

samc

Scooter
di-electric grease and heat shrink tubing on connections. either the spiral stuff or split loom (comes in many sizes, at your neighborhood auto parts store) for wiring runs.

normandy

Street Tracker
If you want to keep it factory use electrical tape. I think T used about 30 rolls to bundle the wires running down the backbone.

Craigore

TT Racer
You can house the cables in a bicycle inner tube (700x18c). cut off the ends and snake the wires through, use electrical tape at the ends. That's what I've been doing on my custom wiring jobs.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
You may be able to buy a used, but good, wiring harness from a bike junkyard. I wonder what a new one costs from Triumph?

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Thanks, guys.

Repairing the rubber boots is my main concern. Does anyone know where to buy replacements, i.e. a good online source?

You can house the cables in a bicycle inner tube (700x18c). cut off the ends and snake the wires through, use electrical tape at the ends. That's what I've been doing on my custom wiring jobs.

Tell me more, please!

Craigore

TT Racer
I got the idea when relocating my rectifier... The electrical tape was annoying on the big bundles of wires, so I started using bicycle tubes instead. This is also not such a PITA method as the tube can easily be cut and discarded if further modifications to the wires is needed- unlike the tape which takes years to remove and is annoying as fuck to reapply.

Craigore

TT Racer
Thanks! Plus it's cost effective (ask the local bike shop if they have any punctured tubes) and also rainproof.