Why?

The original question is just like "why do people climb mountains, swim large bodies of water, try to break speed records or do cross word puzzles".:yawn: It's what they enjoy.:pick:

It is indeed a state of mind, and it's fine, at least up to a certain level of loudness. What's silly are the excuses people make for doing it: more power (by itself, not enough to justify the cost), loud pipes save lives (nonsense).

Bonniebret

Rocker
To paraphrase Burt Munro :

"Anyone can buy a bike that can go fast but it takes a true individual to take a bike and make it go faster than it was meant to."

slowgator

750cc
Singer Sound...

Nothing wrong with personalizing our stuff; same reason some of us get tattoos, grow our hair or shave our heads, etc. Here's to self-expression!

As far as exhaust systems go, I like the strong and silent type... the Singer sound on the T100 has actually mellowed in its old age...

ddwasher

Scooter
Those were some great replies. Perhaps I would think differently if I had a couple grand burning a hole in my pocket. Took a lot of saving to pay for the bike itself. Or maybe performance upgrades are just not for the pragmatic.

KingBear

Hooligan
Q: Why do some guys hang fake rubber bull testicles from their bumper?
A: Same reason guys need super-loud exhaust: As a substitute for real ones. :loser:

Q: Why do people keep going to the polls knowing all they're gonna get is another Republicat or Demican crook and that nothing will change?
A: Same reason guys buy new exhaust: They fool themselves into thinking if it makes noise and costs more money, it must be better. :nut:

Q: Why does my ass itch all the time?
A: Same reason guys need to buy new exhaust: It's an itch that exists purely for the purpose of scratching it. :hj:

Q: Why do I think that The Miniature Genitalia is a great name for a band?
A: Same reason guys buy loud exhaust: So you can make it your own. :kick:

Oh, were those questions supposed to be rhetorical? :lol2:

strokerlmt

hey King.........have to disagree........
stock mufflers are as someone said.....blowin bubbles thru a straw into milk....
there is a difference in performance with the modifications which some of us enjoy.....
to each "his own" I say......
LMT

adrianwhipp

Two Stroke
When you were a kid you would run around with your arms on invisible bars and go VROOM VRROOOM, right? :ride: Thats the answer!

Also pipes don't have to cost $XXX, mine were free!

Hairy Aeriola and the Headlights!! :rocks:

speedtrip

Scooter
When you were a kid you would run around with your arms on invisible bars and go VROOM VRROOOM, right? :ride: Thats the answer!

Also pipes don't have to cost $XXX, mine were free!

Hairy Aeriola and the Headlights!! :rocks:

My pipes cost me $6700.00 and they threw the bike in for free

tribear

Street Tracker
KingBear:
I dunno, I've wondered the same thing from time to time. It does sometimes seem a bit obsessive, but I get it. I wouldn't mind some TORs but that's as far as I would go. I doubt the claim of improved mileage. If you increase airflow you must increase fuel as well to maintain mixture, so greater performance at the expense of fuel efficiency. I could be wrong.

Negative. Stock for 6 months and 3,000 miles = 38 - 42 mpg
Both bikes piped, boxes moded, big jets = 48 - 52 mpg

sweat:
If you don't understand I can't explain it to you.

Amen brother.

ivar

TT Racer
1. I like the look of the upswepts better.

2. Not into loud, but the Staintunes have a nice sound, unlike the stock pipes.

3. Stainless steel.

4. The urge to remove and bolt on things because I can. :playin:

Not necessarily in that order.

#4 is important for me. I like to believe that I improve things :D (Not always the case , but at least, its different :))

I've also been on lots of other forums, and much of the post stays the same, ie:
- the stock exhaust sucks, should I buy brand X or Y
- the stock seat is as comfortable as a brick
- the stock suspension is crappy
etc, etc...
(And - which oil to use , lol!)

#1 Better sound
#2 Better looks
#3 A little more oomph

Photo-0039.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

#4 Less weight. At least for some