Who has relocated their ignition? What to do with old bracket?

wildjester

Scooter
So the title of this thread is pretty self explanatory.

I am relocating my ignition, but want to keep the factory headlight bracket (for now).
I'm looking at the oem bracket and thinking of ways to eliminate it.
Has anyone done this? If so, was it successful? Finally...a any hints/tips?

I am going to either cut it off with a dremel.
or
Grind what look like 4 spot welds, and hope it magically pops off!

Let me know!
Thanks!

I bought a Joker bracket for my '08 EFI scram, but the ignition lock bolts are 6mm, and the Joker bracket has 4mm holes............they say they've never had a problem............

However, back to your question, I intended doing exactly that......lightly drill out the weld, use my dremel with a sanding wheel to smooth out and then powdercoat............my only problem is the Joker hole size...........

Rob

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Jester, I have one of AussieDave's relocation kits - puts the key where it is on most other bikes (but eliminates the use of the Triumph tachometer kit). Honestly, I've not done anything with the original mounting bracket, although if I get around to it I'll probably use a Dremel and cut the thing off. It is ugly; but I've not had anyone comment on it.

AussieDave's relo kit is perfect. Took about two minutes.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Jester, I have one of AussieDave's relocation kits - puts the key where it is on most other bikes (but eliminates the use of the Triumph tachometer kit). Honestly, I've not done anything with the original mounting bracket, although if I get around to it I'll probably use a Dremel and cut the thing off. It is ugly; but I've not had anyone comment on it.

AussieDave's relo kit is perfect. Took about two minutes.

I'm not familia with AussieDave's relo kit. Can you post a pic and a link to his site (if he has one).

Charro

Scooter
So the title of this thread is pretty self explanatory.

I am relocating my ignition, but want to keep the factory headlight bracket (for now).
I'm looking at the oem bracket and thinking of ways to eliminate it.
Has anyone done this? If so, was it successful? Finally...a any hints/tips?

I am going to either cut it off with a dremel.
or
Grind what look like 4 spot welds, and hope it magically pops off!

Let me know!
Thanks!

Yes on my Scram, I drilled out the four spot welds and it popped right off.

Andy

Charro

Scooter
Thanks Andy!
Havn't gotten to it yet, but will before the end of the year.

No problem, you can also unbolt the left bracket from the headlight and swing it around so you can get at those spot welds. But remember to drill LIGHTLY,and go slow.

Andy

Last edited: