Wheel Noise scrapeing

uk59

Scooter
New Bonneville and just installed a centerstand. When I spin rear wheel by hand I can hear a dragging sound. Slowly move the wheel and I can feel it dragging; there is one place during the 360 degree revolution that stops dragging but reappears after a few inches of wheel travel. Watching the wheel move does not look out of balance. Anyone know what causes this?

uk59

Scooter
Steve819101 & grumpy_1944
The brake pads must be dragging; on the centerstand I ran the motor in first & second gear without noticing any wobble in the wheel.
thanks!

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Hopefully you installed the centerstand OK. I know there's a right side and a wrong side. I know this cuz I fucked up and did it wrong at 1st. Not much clearance even installed right.

you can always check the pads to see if they are wearing evenly. I had a few times my front pads squeaked, but it was no biggie and they stopped.:hung:

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
I'm guessing you are spinning the wheel while up on the centerstand or are you using a bike lift?? You could do a process of elimination. First remove chain and rotate wheel (might be a dirty chain ??, but probably not) this will allow you to pin point the problem easier. If it still drags - remove brake caliper and spin the wheel. If your doing this with the bike on a lift - check to see if the tire is rubbing the centerstand anywhere. Is the tire aligned properly on the bike? If you have a dial indicator you can check wheel and brake rotor run out. No indicator - frabricate yourself some kind of pointer to to try and determine if you have wheel or rotor runout. But a dial indicator would be best. If the wheel still seems to drag with the chain and brake caliper off and up on the centerstand so it's not making contact there - then maybe a wheel bearing going bad? Good luck.

Hedge

American Infidel
I'm guessing you are spinning the wheel while up on the centerstand or are you using a bike lift?? You could do a process of elimination. First remove chain and rotate wheel (might be a dirty chain ??, but probably not) this will allow you to pin point the problem easier. If it still drags - remove brake caliper and spin the wheel. If your doing this with the bike on a lift - check to see if the tire is rubbing the centerstand anywhere. Is the tire aligned properly on the bike? If you have a dial indicator you can check wheel and brake rotor run out. No indicator - frabricate yourself some kind of pointer to to try and determine if you have wheel or rotor runout. But a dial indicator would be best. If the wheel still seems to drag with the chain and brake caliper off and up on the centerstand so it's not making contact there - then maybe a wheel bearing going bad? Good luck.
Although this is the most time consuming advice on this page it is the 100% correct way to take on this problem if you want to get to the bottom of this without bringing it into the dealer. If for nothing else you will learn an awful lot about the rear of your bike with the process that John described. I would follow his directions and you will surely get to the bottom of this . . . even if it is just a bad break pad.

uk59

Scooter
ThruxTonUp & Hedge
I'll be taking your advice this weekend hopping to discover the cause of this problem. I'll post and let you know what I find.
Thanks,
David