What's your bone head mistakes...

Flaco

750cc
Got to thinkin' 'bout it after another thread…
What's your bone head mistake w/ wrenchin' on your ride?
Mine: Disconnecting the TPS from the carbs rather the plug!
Turn out good 'cuz I bought new carbs!

Like my Dad used to say, "You live and learn, then you die and forget it all."

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Kick starting a Ducati 450 and probably not getting the compression right. Broke my ankle all the while my Brother is laughing his a$$ off thinking I was just faking it.

monty

Street Tracker
Whilst removing a breather from the upper crankcase of a XT 500, I managed to drop the Allen screw down the hole into the gearbox.......The intention was to simply remove the engine to paint the frame.....not strip the engine to get the Allen screw back...............tits.

Another classic;

Came up alongside a great looking blonde in an open top sports car at a set of traffic lights...Monty pulls to a halt. Trying to look cool. As I go to put my right foot down, the kickstart goes up my trouser leg. I fail miserably to place my foot on the floor and I fall to the floor with the bike on top of me. Lights change, blonde disappears. Monty causes small traffic jam.........more tits.

Monty

Flaco

750cc
Kick starting a Ducati 450 and probably not getting the compression right. Broke my ankle all the while my Brother is laughing his a$$ off thinking I was just faking it.
Wait! A 450 Scrambler! Your exonerated! Notorious for hard starting! Try again!
But when you got 'em started the smiles!

Put Loctite on the nut that holds the speedo cable to the back of the speedometer. I don't know what I was thinking when I did that. Luckily, it didn't bond well and came right off the next time I took it apart.

Had the camshafts out for valve adjustment and reinstalled one of them 180 degrees off. Something was bothering me about it, I checked and re-checked it, realized what I had done and fixed it before anything bad happened.

I once locked both sets of keys inside the car. On a ferry on Delaware Bay, a hundred-plus miles from home. That had a good ending too: a security guard with a slim jim had it open in no time, said it happens all the time.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
I ran the piss out of a 350 honda motor that seemingly wouldn't idle right until it seized. Turns out it didn't have oil in it. The worst (or best) part was that it wasn't even my bike....

monty

Street Tracker
Burned out 3 stators over 3 years before figuring I should shit can the regulator.

I laughed out loud at this. As a Brit, I have no idea what this means but it sounds great.........

I am off to find something to shit can..............just to say I did...

Monty

loxpump

Rocker
My biggest bone head mistake has nothing to do with my bike, but the next runner up is probably going too wide on a turn, hot a culver and flipped my bike totaling it.

Thought I had a huge electrical problem when it turns out I was actually low on gas. Spent money on ignition coils thinking that was the culprit. When I was removing the tank I noticed it was extremely light. Shook it around, barely heard anything. Opened up the cap and saw very little gas. Reinstalled everything, flipped the petcock to reserve (where before it was on the ON position) and the bike ran fine.

Luckily I was able to return the coil for a refund. All because I forgot to reset my odometer.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
cams in wrong. 10 months later of not riding and a significant amount of money finally the motor is going back together, hope to be on her by end of the month

jhillier71

Street Tracker
armour all (sp?) on my tire walls. wanted that cleeeeean look. That crap bled over onto the tread and 2 mins into my Sunday ride I went down taking a left from a stop light. NEVER cleaning my tires again. I knew better but still did it. Don't shine your tires...pass it on :)

Skeeter

Rocker
went into a turn too fast, went off the side of the road and fliped over the bars and landed on my butt. not before i smashed my thumb between the tank and bars. still have a lil dent in the tank from that. that was the only damage. learned alot from that. rode it home with all kindsa weeds and crap hangin from the bike