What was your first bike?

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
So what was the first bike you bought with your own money? Please include a pic if you can.

Here's a pic of the first bike I bought. Well not the exact same bike, but you get the picture.

She's a 1974 Honda XL100 K0. I worked all summer long when I was barely 14 to pay for her.

RETROBIKES2010114.jpg

koifarm

Hooligan
First bike

'60 Triumph Cub, wish I still had that one.....wore it out driving the Arizona deserts and mountains....this one was not the one I had, I bought it used with a good amount of wear on it but still a tough little bike....

9508.jpg

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Cool first ride there Koi... I only wish I could say I started on '60 Triumphs. But unfortunately, they were a little before my time. I also had Honda riding older brothers that influenced me greatly.

T-boy

Rocker
That Cub is a sweetheart, Koi! My best friend in high school had one. I took many a spin on that baby when he'd let me. My first bike was a '71 Yamaha DT360. Used it to commute to college. Much cheaper on gas than my '65 Impala SS.

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Cool first ride there Koi... I only wish I could say I started on '60 Triumphs. But unfortunately, they were a little before my time. I also had Honda riding older brothers that influenced me greatly.

The Cub was just a random lucky find, I was walking home from the bus stop after school and it was parked in a guys driveway with a "for Sale" sign on it. I stopped and checked, it was $200 which at the time was a bunch of money. I was able to talk the guy into holding it for me, went home, dug out my savings, I asked my Dad for $50 and had the purchase price. I had worked for two summers mowing and watering lawns to make the bucks....it was supposed to be savings for college....but convinced my dad it would be great transportation for me as well as using it when I went off to college (ASU). It was.

1988 Kawasaki EX500. Bought it new. Crashed and totaled it 6 months later.

Not mine, but same year and paint scheme.

DSC03024.jpg

Replaced it with my Dad's BSA A75 Rocket3.

Not my first bike, but I had some of the most fun I've ever had on a KLR 250 just like this one (same paint, same year, etc)

9129_0_1_2_klr%20250_tiberiusbrutus.jpg

My dad originally bought the bike for himself to ride with me and my brother on our dirt bikes, but I outgrew the XR100 I was riding so my dad handed the keys over to me. I was about 13-14 years old. The KLR was street legal, and my dad had it tagged, but I was was still years away from a driver's license. This is where the fun came in. I rode that damn thing all over the place. There was a network of trails and creeks near my house, and I could get to a lot of places off-road, but I'd take it on-road all of the time. I used to pick up my buddy, and we'd go all over the place. It was a hell of a lot of fun. I got yelled at by the cops a few times, but mostly with the helmet on etc they never knew how young I was.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Honda Ct 70

No way! This was my first bike too except in blue. The bike was quite a few years old when my pop showed up with it but to a six year old, I was king shit! I would buy this bike again when I return just for nostalgic reasons.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
1972 Bultaco Matador SD (Six Days)

At age 24, this was my first motorcycle. It taught me that 36" handlebars don't fit between trees 33" apart.
And, of course, I wish I still had it!

Bultaco%2520Matador%2520SD.JPG

Last edited:
1964 Honda CB-160. No pix of it but it was all black hmmmm :chin: hmmmmm could that be why I love the looks of my Bonneville black????? Rode it everywhere, on road, off road then traded it for a "trail bike".

Thrux181

Scooter
Mine was a Honda 50, the one that looked like a scooter. Road it on the roads, dirt, gravel, woods, through the edge of ponds and just about any where. That was 1968. On a side note, of all the bikes I've had I wish I still had my new X 75 Hurricane.