What sort of Kilometres have folk got

Just coming up on 45000 klms. No real probs. Lost count of the tyres. Ikon suspension went in at 10000 klms. Thunderbike performace kit went in at 15000 klms. 904 kit with Sth Bay Street Pro head & Keihin 39mm FCR carbs (plus steering dampner & nark kit) went in at 37000 klms. & Excell Rims at 40000 klms. All are still running strong.

JBarn3

moped
I've racked up 15,000 kilometers on my Scram. I've replaced the tires once. Tread wasn't gone, but I got a nail in the rear and it split the inside so the tire kept pinching and tearing tubes. I had a float stick, so the carb was flooding the airbox. Other than that no real issues.

My only experience to date with the Hinkley twins was a 2002 America we sold with 106,000km and a 2004 790cc Speedmaster I recently sold with 58,000km. Neither bike required valve adjustment during our ownership and neither bike faultered, leaked oil or did anything except run faultlessly. By comparison we own three R1200GS's. Please don't ask about BMW reliability particularly to do with electronics or rear diff longevity! The solid nature of our past Hinkley twin experience was a big factor in my decision to order in a new Scrambler. The stealership reckon it will be here early July. Can't wait!

Another Ozzie! never saw you arrive. Will show your post to a friend of mine, he has a BMW and I am trying to get him to buy a Bon, as he does like them but reckons BMW more reliable, and he dont want to go back to a chain.

Another Ozzie! never saw you arrive. Will show your post to a friend of mine, he has a BMW and I am trying to get him to buy a Bon, as he does like them but reckons BMW more reliable, and he dont want to go back to a chain.

I don't mean to hyjack this thread, but...

OK, so he wont go back to a chain... is he nuts? Our first Bonneville America (the one previously mentioned that we sold at 106,000km) still had it's orginal rear sprocket at 106,000km and only one front sprocket which replaced the stocker at 63,000km. The bike was on its third chain at time of sale. Total cost, approximately (from memory) about $400. We used a genuine OEM front sproket which cost around $120 and two o-ring chains cost about $140 each. The first chain came with the bike! The main reason for this longevity of parts was the Scottoiler we fitted to this bike as well as high quality OEM sprockets.

Of the 3 R1200GS that are currently running in our rental fleet www.aussiebiker.com.au , two have required new diffs both before 80,000km. The other BMW has only only done 30 something thousand kms at this point. Cost of a new diff is about $1700. With the obvious cost benefits, you might remind your friend that gearing changes are a simple affair on the Scrambler whereas the BMW does not have this option plus the chain drive system makes for lighter overall weight without the quirkiness associated with drive shafts.

Last edited:

jenkspj

Scooter
100,000 miles / 160,000 km

There is a guy in California who has a basic, little modified 2001 Bonnie: one of the first in the USA.

As of today is is 300 miles shy of 100,000 miles.

No issues, no dramas, the usual and expected consumable and wear items consumed and worn. Original clutch, it still uses no oil, is utterly reliable. As he said, his T160 would have gone through 4 engine re-builds by now.

Seems realistic to think a new Bonneville motor is good for 250,000 miles before it needs any real work. That is if you don't tune it too much. The bike is capable of achieving 160bhp bored out to 1200cc, with EFI and a Turbo, but they don't last long at that power level.....