What rear tyre for my 2003 T100

Jimnibob

moped
Hi,

I am in the process of customising my Bonneville T100 (2003) fitted with spoked rims and am wanting a similar looking tyre to the one shown in the image, which is fitted with Dunlop Trailmax 140/80 R17.

However, there are lots of different reviews online regarding these and other options including;
  1. Metzeler Tourance 140/80 R17
  2. Bridgestone Battlax BT45 140/80 R17
  3. Avon Roadrider AM 26 140/80 R17
  4. Dunlop Trailmax 140/80 R17
What are people's thoughts and experiences?

Cheers

Attachments

• photo10187.jpg
    photo10187.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 0

ray694

Scooter
I am going to replace the OEM tires on my 2014 T100 with the Metzeler Tourance. They are an 85/15 tire and are going to suit what I want to do (which is some light off road adventures). This will be the first time going with an 85/15 tire, but I have received a lot of positive feedback from people who have used them.

Ray

Texas94fs

Hooligan
What do you plan to do with the bike? How do you ride? Offroad-twisties-commuting? That will really help determine what of those tires would best suit you.

ray694

Scooter
Right at this moment, I ride strictly asphalt, I have ventured onto a gravel road or two, and enjoyed it so much, I want to do more. As far as how I ride, I commute to and from work during the week, occasionally taking the long way home. On the weekend, I will ride through the mountains... a lot of secondary roads....sometimes head downtown....it just depends.... I am not an aggressive rider, but, I love coming out of a turn and twisting the throttle, so I guess as a rider, I'm somewhere in between. My main reason going with the Metzeler Tourance tires is to open up more roads to explore. I hope this answers your question.

I have actually had much success running a weird combination.
Front: Avon Roadrider AM26 in 100/90/19
Rear: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II in 140/70/17--then again...this is my rear take-off from my racebike/trackbike. I have fitted a 150 rear also and it works just fine also.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Right at this moment, I ride strictly asphalt, I have ventured onto a gravel road or two, and enjoyed it so much, I want to do more. As far as how I ride, I commute to and from work during the week, occasionally taking the long way home. On the weekend, I will ride through the mountains... a lot of secondary roads....sometimes head downtown....it just depends.... I am not an aggressive rider, but, I love coming out of a turn and twisting the throttle, so I guess as a rider, I'm somewhere in between. My main reason going with the Metzeler Tourance tires is to open up more roads to explore. I hope this answers your question.

So you're down to metz or avons IMO. Dual sport tires are tricky, what you gain in one area you lose in the other. If you are sincerely going to explore new roads and get off pavement the the tourance is the best bet. But just be honest with yourself about the time you will spend doing so and choose from there.