What Is This Leak On T100?

slowgator

750cc
Upon returning from a weekend ride recently, I noticed what I first thought was an engine oil leak just aft of the oil level window and under the front sprocket cover. Upon closer inspection, it does not appear to be oil or chain debris being forced out from the sprocket cover, but it appears to be leaking from the plate directly below the sprocket cover.

I does not wipe off with a rag and feels sticky to the touch. It appears to be running down under the engine onto the frame and centerstand. Does the T100 have a seperate transmission oil? Might this be what I'm seeing?

Any ideas?

DavidC

Rocker
All one oil for the motorcycle. I knew a guy who had a leak there; behind the front sprocket were a few bolts that held something [can't recall]. One bolt was stripped so it could be no more than finger tight. I believe he helicoiled it and solved the problem. You have a Haynes manual?

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Sticky Crap

It sounds like its chain oil spin off? Do you use wax?? Either way if its sticky- its not engine oil! That would be real slimy!! Not sticky. Open up the ft sprocket cover & spray clean it all. Then if it re-appears, then you can see where its comming from. Have fun in that mesy pit & get bak to all w/ results!

slowgator

750cc
No wax; I use a spray lubricant every 500 miles or so. I thought it may be chain lubricant as well but it really looks like it may be seeping from that plate flange directly under the sprocket cover.

Anyone know what that plate is?

that cover has the gear change mechanism under it. The gear change shaft runs from the shifter on the left side of the bike all the way across the motor to that cover.

There is a gasket, which is replaceable of course. In order to remove that cover, all you need to remove is the sprocket cover. You probably won't even have to dump the oil.

I don't know why it would be sticky, unless it is in fact chain lube. As DavidC said, there is no separate trans oil.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Using a 8mm socket remove the six bolts that hold the front sprocket cover in place. I'd be willing to bet money that you've simply accumulated a bunch of chain lube inside the cover, and it's running out the backside - this is very common on Bonnies.

It'll take you 2 minutes to pull the cover off.. if it's gunked up, clean it and reinstall it - after you wipe away all the goo from around the front sprocket. WD-40 and paper towels will do the trick.

Note: There is no gasket between the front sprocket cover and the transmission housing.

slowgator

750cc
Thanks guys; I'll pull the sprocket cover and clean it out and lay off the lube a bit. That will most likely solve the problem.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Gunk

For kicks ( I use it all the time) try some chainwax after you clean out the pit!
Not only do I find it surerior chain oil, it will help see IF you really do have an oil leak. The crap that builds up in the "pit" is really gross!! I am "going in" sometime soon! Ive found dead bugs & all kinds of crap in there! I think you will find all is just old chain oil? Let all know!

slowgator

750cc
Aye Aye Cap'n

For kicks ( I use it all the time) try some chainwax after you clean out the pit!
Not only do I find it surerior chain oil, it will help see IF you really do have an oil leak. The crap that builds up in the "pit" is really gross!! I am "going in" sometime soon! Ive found dead bugs & all kinds of crap in there! I think you will find all is just old chain oil? Let all know!

Care to recommend a chainwax?

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Actually, I have a can of Chain Wax I'd give you if you were nearby. I found that it leaves a sticky residue on the chain.. I went with what MCN recommended - Bel Ray Chain Lube. No fling!

Just my .02 cents.