What is the latest about the starting/battery/ECU problems in EFI Bonnevilles?

bonnyc

moped
I have seen a lot written on various forums (etc.) about the starting problems that the EFI Bonnevilles have. I haven't yet seen a conclusion, or whether Triumph resolved the problem on the new bikes or not.

For example, see this or this or this, or even on these forums, this.

What I have heard is that Triumph installed larger, but only slightly so, batteries after some point, that they never acknowledged the problem but provided what seem like half-hearted solutions such as an "urban tune" etc.

I do like the bike but I want a bike that is rock steady reliable - the looks and the feel are important but if I have to worry about the bike not starting that trumps everything else. I will use the bike occasionally for a 10 mi commute in heavy-traffic in a city (NYC) and for weekend rides. The bike will be parked in a large public garage with a dedicated bike lot which nevertheless does *not* have a wall socket so keeping a tender on is not an option.

The fact that this problem is widespread, that there is no known clean solution, and that there is every indication that the 2013 model will likely suffer from it are giving me a pause in making the purchase.

Can I request experiences and anecdotes about people who have owned an EFI Bonnevilles for at least an year or so? I just want to know what to expect.

Last edited:

LoVel

Two Stroke
I have had to bump start my Scrambler three times because of this issue. Luckily the motorcycle parking at work is on the second floor of the parking deck.

When I installed a new horn the problem seemed to be fixed. I had to add a relay and ground the new horn.

bonZa

Street Tracker
I think the newer EFI models have a larger battery than compared to the original EFI models

Kirkus51

Hooligan
If you're gonna garage the bike, just get a battery tender (about 60-70 bucks) and keep it plugged in to your bike when you stop. Orrrrr, get a carbed Bonnie. There's a few out there and no problems with starting. Unless your heart is set on a new one I'd favor carbs over FI. Never had a problem with my 07 starting and it runs good every time. Of course I have a tender on it most of the time. I still have the original battery in it.

The only reason Triumph went to fuel injection was EPA regulations.

A Bonnie with either FI or carbs is a great ride. I can't think of a bike with a higher grin factor.

Last edited:

qwenzel

Two Stroke
The whole key with the EFI bikes is keeping the battery fully charged. Riding it 10 miles to work is not enough to fully recharge the battery. It has to be ridden like 20 or more miles, plus I don't think stop and go is the trick either. I know its hard to ride for a long distance in NYC without coming to a stop, but if you try hard I'm sure you can come up with a solution.

The there is always removing the battery and taking it into your house, apartment or whatever and putting it on a charger for awhile and then returning it to the bike.

bonnyc

moped
The whole key with the EFI bikes is keeping the battery fully charged. Riding it 10 miles to work is not enough to fully recharge the battery. It has to be ridden like 20 or more miles, plus I don't think stop and go is the trick either. I know its hard to ride for a long distance in NYC without coming to a stop, but if you try hard I'm sure you can come up with a solution.

The there is always removing the battery and taking it into your house, apartment or whatever and putting it on a charger for awhile and then returning it to the bike.

At the risk of getting flamed, I think that sounds really horrible in a Rube Goldberg-ish way.

Mark

750cc
everything has a problem on the internet, you never hear about stuff that works for the rest of us...so far...touch wood

bonnyc

moped
everything has a problem on the internet, you never hear about stuff that works for the rest of us...so far...touch wood

I looked at threads you have posted on and realized that there has been an extensive discussion of this problem on these forums as well, see here.

Yes, indeed there is a bit of a bias in the average opinion on the internet. People rarely write about things being normal, they are more likely to write about something being wrong. However, so many posts about this problem convince me that it is a widespread problem without any known (clean) solution.

LoVel

Two Stroke
I already have a Honda. It is 41 years old and when the Scrambler will not start I ride the 1972 CB500four. It always starts. :beer:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
You meet the nicest people on a Honda:D

Baxter's had this 72 CB350 that sold for $1,300. Looks really nice

rodhotter

Scooter
just got 2012 bonnie end of last year, on my 06 sportster its said it takes 50 mph and 50 miles to top battery as little to no charging at lo rpm with single phase alternator on a carbd bike, anyone know charging characteristics of the EFI bonnies

dexxter

Scooter
I am burnt out on this subject, after 2 years of a seemingly unsolvable, intermittent starting problem with my '11 Bonneville. I'm not gonna get wrapped up in this conversation again, starting from the beginning, but here is my last post, in which I copied the solution from a guy at Triumphrat.net ("JustPete"). By the way, it was NOT a battery or charging problem -- it was/is the damned ECM. This solution WORKS, at least, for the intermittent problem many of us EFI Bonneville owners have had. Here is my last post from February:

The problem is finally solved (thanks to someone posting the cure on triumphrat.net). As of today, I have started the bike consistently at least 30 times, with no side effects (for the first time in nearly 2 years of ownership).
Here's what my dealer/tech used to rewire a couple of connections on the ECM:

02-02-2013, 08:10 AM #156 (permalink)
JustPete
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville

I don't know the cause of the starting issue but I'm sure Triumph does and can correct if they so desire but....

Remove the BO wire from pin A33 and the YN wire from pin B6 on the ECM connectors. Verify using a meter that you have the correct pins before proceeding.
You first remove the purple lock from the end of each connector, pry gently on the sides and it will pop out. Look inside and you will see a black plastic hook, looks like a shell extractor, very gentle pry this back from the pin to allow the pin to be removed. Use a plastic or wood pick to do this. After removing the pins install blanking pins in their place.
Pull the removed wires through the boots, this will give you enough wire length. Slide a piece of heat shrink over one wire, place the pins on each other and wrap with a fine strand of copper wire. Slide the heat shrink over the pins and shrink. This method will allow return to original if desired.

It's uses the clutch switch as the ground signal and takes the ECM out of the picture.

Pros - it cranks
Still have clutch safety interlock
Still have side stand safety interlock
Neutral light ground signal still linked to ECM
Cons - anytime you hit the starter button with the clutch pulled it will
crank
You should not have to do this, Triumph should have corrected
this for you.