What is the best tire make and size combination ?

Kappy

Two Stroke
Hi there ,

I bought Avon Roadrunners and they are nice yet also crap, as my bike starts wobbling above 110km/h in winding roads. So I have decided to replace those Avons (2000km on them only) as it is just to scary for me.
As I want to go for size 140 instead the normal 130 I need advice what would be the best suitable tire make and tire combination for the T100?

Would be happy to get ideas ?

KR Ivo

I'll start off by saying I don't ride track and I don't ride at max on the highway. I just like to ride and travel.

The stock tires lasted about 8000 miles. I replaced them with "laser techs". They lasted about 6000 miles. I now have "Shinko" 705s and at 20000+ miles on the bike, it is hard to see any wear on them. Along with the mileage, they handle very well at the pace I ride.

They may leave something to be desired on the track or extreme canyon carving, but I have no intention to put them to that test.

For the $$$$$$ they have been the best tire I've had on my Bonneville so far.

LA_Geezer

Scooter
I've gotta admit that the tread wear on my 2011 Speedmaster's rear OEM tire seems a bit excessive for the mere 4000 miles on it; the front tire, OTOH, looks new. Both the front and rear are OEM Metzlers and do perform satisfactorily, but the OEM Dunlops on my '07 Honda made 10K miles before replacement was needed. I don't think I'll have that kind of luck on the Triumph.

Skeeter

Rocker
i went to a 140 sport demons from perilli. they were nice but wore too quick for me, i live in souhtern AZ so they didnt hold up to the long straight roads and heat, i just replaced them with dunlop m550s i think theyre called.
but goin to a 140 looks good on our bikes, not too fat but not too skinny

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
I have the sport demons too mate and need to replace the rear tyre can I go a
140/70r17 on the rear? Mine is the mag wheel version and I think a bit bigger tyre would look trick and not effect handling much cheers and I look forward to your reply Ben Dickens.

I last had Pirelli Sport Demons, the rear (130/90) was just about worn out at 5000 miles of mostly gentle riding. They are very good, confidence-inspiring tires. The front still has a few thousand miles left on it, and I just replaced the rear with a Dunlop GT501 (140/80), on which I've not ridden yet, and which has had positive reports.

slimtriumph

Scooter
I just put the Sport Demons on the rear of mine also. I went with a 130/70/17. The reason I went this size is to get some of the Accel I lost from the 18t front sprocket. For me the 130/70 is a happy medium It gives me the Accel I was missing but still lowers the rpms a bit at +65mph highway speeds. Tire feels like it has tons more grip then the Bridgestone Battleax I took off.

I just put the Sport Demons on the rear of mine also. I went with a 130/70/17. The reason I went this size is to get some of the Accel I lost from the 18t front sprocket. For me the 130/70 is a happy medium It gives me the Accel I was missing but still lowers the rpms a bit at +65mph highway speeds. Tire feels like it has tons more grip then the Bridgestone Battleax I took off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that a smaller tire (130/70 instead of 130/80) would increase the rpms at any given speed: Smaller diameter > less circumference > less distance travelled per revolution of the rear wheel > higher rpm required to maintain speed.

slimtriumph

Scooter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that a smaller tire (130/70 instead of 130/80) would increase the rpms at any given speed: Smaller diameter > less circumference > less distance travelled per revolution of the rear wheel > higher rpm required to maintain speed.

This is true. But the combo I am using with the 18t front sprocket instead of the 17t that came with it. With the 130/80 tire it took alot of my bottom end away that I didnt like but lowered my rpm at Highway speed and that I did like. By me moving to a 130/70 tire it raised my Highway rpm's a little but gave me back a lot of my bottom end I was missing. So for me it was a happy medium.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I like Metzeler Tourancees or Michelin Anakee tires so that I can ride well on both paved and dirt roads. I have not noticed any significant reduction in ability on paved roads. They both also last very well. I think that the Anakee's may be a bit harsher on pavement.

PieMan

Two Stroke
I'll start off by saying I don't ride track and I don't ride at max on the highway. I just like to ride and travel.

The stock tires lasted about 8000 miles. I replaced them with "laser techs". They lasted about 6000 miles. I now have "Shinko" 705s and at 20000+ miles on the bike, it is hard to see any wear on them. Along with the mileage, they handle very well at the pace I ride.

They may leave something to be desired on the track or extreme canyon carving, but I have no intention to put them to that test.

For the $$$$$$ they have been the best tire I've had on my Bonneville so far.

It's nice to have a tyre that last's many thousands of miles for economy, and as you say you don't push it on the road, so you don't need softer, sticker, quicker wearing tyres for your normal riding. But, the only way to make a tyre last longer is to use a harder, non sticky rubber compound.

What about when that old grandma pulls out of a junction on you, those more expensive, less economical, softer compound tyres may well pull you up 5-10 feet quicker which could mean the difference between broken bones and a wrecked bike or pulling up with inches to spare and nothing more than "whew, that was a close one".

On a bike, your rubber can be the difference between life and death. It's a gamble that only you can decide. Not wanting to preach, it's just my take on tyres, get the best modern rubber you can for your bike even if you don't go to the limits, you never know when you might need it.

Pirelli Sport Demons are an excellent tyre and I've done many thousands of miles on them. A 140 rear will fit our bikes with no problems.

Skeeter

Rocker
FLACO IS BACK!!!

i still have the sport demons up front, im usein the dunlop GT501 in the rear. just put em on a few weeks ago but havnt ridden more than 150 miles on them, they seem nice.
i also have a 19 tooth front sproket for the lo0ong straight roads of AZ

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Just a point guys remember that mix matching tyres is not so good as both the front and rear work hand in hand. After being at a number of accidents I agree whole heartedly with pieman, choose the best, safe' tyre you can afford and them running out quicker is a small price to pay for safety, if you need them to perform one day u will be glad you spend the extra, just my take on things not gospal, my opinion only and yes I do the same with my car, I always spend on tyres CHEERS Guys

Happy Sports Demon Tyre Owner!

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I like Metzeler Tourancees or Michelin Anakee tires so that I can ride well on both paved and dirt roads. I have not noticed any significant reduction in ability on paved roads. They both also last very well. I think that the Anakee's may be a bit harsher on pavement.

I've used both. Went through a set of Anakees (9k miles, maybe?), and currently running Tourances. 110/80/19 up front and 140/80/17 in the rear. I like them a lot!

I tend to change mine a bit sooner than most blokes, I suspect. I'm with PieMan - the rubber is betwixt you and the road, and I want it to stick!

What about when that old grandma pulls out of a junction on you, those more expensive, less economical, softer compound tyres may well pull you up 5-10 feet quicker which could mean the difference between broken bones and a wrecked bike or pulling up with inches to spare and nothing more than "whew, that was a close one".

In a situation like that, if all you think of is to pull the brakelever to the handlebar, You will wind up with bruises and broken bones, many times. As I ride, I'm always looking for "escape routes" should some idiot do something stupid. Believe me, It's happened numerous times to me in 50+ years of riding/driving and there has always been a way out of/around trouble. My brakes are only to give me time to avoid the obstacle(s) I come upon, and stop at lights/signs.

In the last two years, I've tought 2 members of my family this method of accident avoidence while riding. Just this riding season, I've been riding with my wife when she's twice avoided crashes by steering to the open area, even on her Harley, instead of grabbing maximum brake, which would have caused her to crash.

If riders/drivers would quit relying on brakes/horns and become more situationaly aware while on the road, the accident/fatality rate would be reduced significantly (getting off soapbox now).

My gut feeling is that the "matching tires front and rear" case is overrated if you're not pushing the bike to its performance limits or mounting obvious mismatches. I doubt that riding with a Sport Demon front and a Dunlop GT501 rear for a while is even going to be noticeable to me, other than issues related to tire wear--the front won't be optimal, but it still has enough tread. The bikes come out of the factory with two different tires on them.