What is Lean Pop?

I'm trying to figure out what is causing my bike to misfire. I installed an airbox removal kit, Predator exhaust and air injection was removed. I live in Denver so my guess I may be running a bit lean and maybe I'm experiencing this Lean Pop phenomenom I've heard about. It only happens when I throttle lightly from a stop or when I'm cruising slow with low RPM's (1500-2000). It feels like a misfire to me. In fact, the bike has cut off on a couple of these slow throttle from a stop events.

Also, my bike is an '09 EFI model.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
Most of the lean popping I've experienced has been on deceleration.

Another thing that can happen (happened to me last week) is that one or both of the two black vacuum caps on top of the carburetors has deteriorated or come off completely. I took off from my house one day last week with everything fine, idle at 1k RPM, then during a stop at a traffic light I noticed my idle RPM was around 1,500 RPM and was popping badly on one side. I looked down and noticed the vacuum cap had crumbled on my right carb. Stuck a gloved finger on top of the nipple to block the hole and everything returned to normal.

Make sure you don't have any air leaks anywhere in your system, from intake to exhaust tip, including where your headers meet your cans (use silicon exhaust sealant). If all seems well, you may need a remap.

Bonafide

NBR founder
you installed all the exhaust/intake mods (which increased airflow) and did not have your EEC remapped? You do understand when you increase the airflow, you also need to increase the fuel? You computer doesnt know this automatically ... you gotta have it re-programed for the high flowing exhaust/increase intake air.

simpson

TT Racer
you installed all the exhaust/intake mods (which increased airflow) and did not have your EEC remapped? You do understand when you increase the airflow, you also need to increase the fuel? You computer doesnt know this automatically ... you gotta have it re-programed for the high flowing exhaust/increase intake air.

+1

it's all about balance.

-simpson

Goin-Commando

Street Tracker
Quote:
"What is Lean Pop?"

You remember when you were a young boy and everyone was sitting around the dinner table? You were telling a funny story and everyone was laughing and then out of nowhere came that one bad word that you heard your dad say out in the garage earlier that day. Then out of nowhere, with lightining like reflexes, your mom leaned over the table and popped you right in the kisser then said "you to go to your room young man!"....

Lean Pop

:D

not to mention he could burn up his engine like that.

Xchoppers

Two Stroke
I'm trying to figure out what is causing my bike to misfire. I installed an airbox removal kit, Predator exhaust and air injection was removed. I live in Denver so my guess I may be running a bit lean and maybe I'm experiencing this Lean Pop phenomenom I've heard about. It only happens when I throttle lightly from a stop or when I'm cruising slow with low RPM's (1500-2000). It feels like a misfire to me. In fact, the bike has cut off on a couple of these slow throttle from a stop events.

Also, my bike is an '09 EFI model.

You need to have your Triumph dealer load the Arrow 2 into1 map to your ECU.
I have this map in my '09 and my bike runs GREAT!
I have NH Togas with AI still installed and a stock air box.

My pipes aren't all blued up either.
I ran against a few other bikes this weekend at Cambria and none that tried pulled as well as my otherwise stock "09 EFI.

One in particular was ridden by a young guy about 80 lbs. lighter than me and he had trick aftermarket carbs. and intakes and lots of other mods.
The new EFI Bonnevilles are quick!

I ran against a few other bikes this weekend at Cambria and none that tried pulled as well as my otherwise stock "09 EFI. [/I]

One in particular was ridden by a young guy about 80 lbs. lighter than me and he had trick aftermarket carbs. and intakes and lots of other mods.
The new EFI Bonnevilles are quick!

I find that hard to believe. I've seen plenty of dyno runs with both EFI and carb'd bikes, and the EFI bikes don't make any more power than the carb'd bikes do.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Sometimes there's just a goodun built that comes off the assembly line. I know mine goes just fine for me and does mean things to Harleys pulling away from from a light. The "teehee" in me tingles every time I'm in that situation. By the way mine lightly 'burbles' when I decellerate. I kinda like it.

But getting back to the thread... get a remap dude!