what is happening to us

This isn't just an American problem. My wife and I often notice this when we take the boys out to dinner. We will look around and see folks eating their dinner but not even looking up to recognize each others presence much less actually speaking to one another. This isn't just the kids I'm talking about...parents too. It seems we are getting lost in the world of gadgetry and technology and sometimes the old way is indeed the best way. Sitting down together at the dinner table and actually speaking with each other....away from the boob tube and all Buck Roger devices out of hands reach and turned off. Sometimes I wonder the whole "social media" is actually another device that ultimately isolates even more from each other but that is definitely a rant of mine that I am not going to get into and believe it or not, it affects the military community as well.

My wife and I found ourselves as well as our son doing this. And for this reason, my wife and I have put in place a rule where there are no electronic devices, toys or books allowed at the table. Regardless if it's breakfast, lunch or dinner.

It just surprises me when we go out to dinner what other people let their kids watch on their ipads, iphones, dvd players....

fender

Street Tracker
My wife and I found ourselves as well as our son doing this. And for this reason, my wife and I have put in place a rule where there are no electronic devices, toys or books allowed at the table. Regardless if it's breakfast, lunch or dinner.

It just surprises me when we go out to dinner what other people let their kids watch on their ipads, iphones, dvd players....

We have the same rule in place at our house. They can put the devices down while eating and doing homework. I always give them shit when they're watching TV but texting the entire time. I should start to turn it off on them to see if they even notice.

strokerlmt

same rule on the devices at meal time + the only reality TV is "survivor". The f^%$%^&g Kardashans are banded for life. Meaning as long as I am alive those assholes will not be on my screen. Lately the news is so scripted and just plain horrible......love the "some people may want to not watch the segment" ....what a crock of shitte. I usually get news at work on my laptop BBC.
Nuff said
LMT

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Sometimes I wonder the whole "social media" is actually another device that ultimately isolates even more from each other but that is definitely a rant of mine that I am not going to get into and believe it or not, it affects the military community as well.

One of the downsides of social media - as well as forums and other cyber presences - is that people are able to present a completely contrived persona without the risks associated with actual human interaction. Everything posted can be reviewed and massaged to only project the desired image. It's human interaction without the humanity part and allows for idealized versions of the true self. For these reasons alone, I won't engage in such things like facebook and actually strive to be as real as possible on the 2 or 3 forums in which I participate.

As one of the partners in our company (15 person environmental consulting firm), I regularly have to interview potential job candidates. For those under the age of 30, the lack of face-to-face communication skills is both astounding and nearly universal. Often, the person interviewing can hardly string enough words together to form a complete sentence - despite how good they may look on paper. And these young adults are college graduates. I don't think all the time spent texting, facebooking, or otherwise electronically jerking off on any other form of social media helps these folks one iota when they're trying to communicate how their skills or experiences set them apart from the other candidates...

Regards,

--Rich

strokerlmt

I have Facebook becauseeeee my wife and daughters wanted it BUT my rule is they update it at "my direction" so I have no idea what is happening. Texting is so I can communicate with my girls. The rest I have refused to do, instadick, twitterwaught whatever ;-)))

LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I started a FB page when the 9.0 earthquake hit over here. I made a private page so family could see the boys and keep up with what was going on. It was a tremendous value under those conditions and now I have my own private page for riding as well. A total of I think 12 friends...I know...I'm a fucking recluse!

This is a military issue as well believe it or not. Regulations cite that emails and all forms of social media devices are considered avenues where customs & courtesies must still continue and not just specifically within the chain of command. I don't even want to attempt the time I have had to spend with a young troop because of them acting like a fucktard on FB.

"Would you act or say that to the person if you were face to face with them?" ...insert blank stare...

"If you wouldn't do it in person then what makes you think it is alright to do it on a computer?"...insert the loss of eye contact to me

You would not believe how serious this issue can become depending on the violation. It is a nightmare and I don't even want it anymore. It was awesome when we thought Japan was going to create another Godzilla from the Pacific and there was no other communication but the fucking thing is a nightmare and a headache....a nightmare headache!!! How is that for emphasizing! HA!

DandyDoug

750cc
I recently ( reluctantly) joined "Faceplace" I think you get how i feel about it:sheep:

My reason for joining was to keep in contact with my oldest grandson from Germany, he is spending a year as an exchange student in South Africa and Faceplace was the best way to stay in touch.

I am appalled at the number of people whom i have never met nor would choose to meet who are constantly trying to get me to Friend them. Jeesh what a stupid waste of cyberspace.:sheephqr:

strokerlmt

I am so old school.....I have had a leather bound address book for 30 years. It was 1 1/4 thick it is now 3 inches thick, tired, glued, but everyone I know is in it. because I can't remember shit I carry an old detective style notebook and I write things down there. I am a huge fan of the "simple" uncomplicated life. I want to enjoy the time I have left here....nuff said.....
LMT

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I figure the shit I *have* to remember, someone will remind me. So I don't write anything down. Living free!!!

koifarm

Hooligan
No it's not just you
I've got behind a shit load of drivers with a phone attached to their ear...
However what I notice more are young women, usually driving a compact car, who I never see take the phone away from their head...
In addition, I do a lot of interstate and have followed a few of them for hours watching them talk.... Wtf takes that long on a call... While driving.....