What is a new Bonneville ?

strokerlmt

Ok...I'm a dumbass....I' m a newbie......This is probably a stupid question and if the ansa is in the archives tell me soooooooo........

What makes a New Bonnevillle ?
We are all moding everything.....so where are we ????
Is my Bonneville a Bonneville.
Sorry if this is a BS question.........

LMT

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Well the only folks the dude keeps out are douchebags (dumbasses like you are TOTALLY welcome!), so owning a Bonnie isn't a prereq. That said, the "new" could refer to the Hinckley-era Bonnies, or that the site is "new"-er than the "other" site - you decide!

78gold

Two Stroke
New Bonneville,
I found this site by simply typing in New Bonneville when I bought a 2007 Bonnevilleblack.
Simple isnt it.
After roaming around I thought this site and the guys and gals on it were pretty good and I have been here ever since.
To me a new bonnie to me is any classic style bike built in the Hinkley era with or without mods.

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
New Bonneville is the tagline to differentiate this site from one talking about other bikes with the same name. Strictly speaking we should probably talk about Meriden, Bloor and Hinkley Bonnevilles based on where the Triumph HQ was when they were built, but then that would cause confusion with where we were riding and so on. The Hinkley Bonnevilles (2001- ) are "new". The family starts with the 790 and runs via the black, T100, Speedmaster, America, Thruxton and Scrambler to the SE in numerous variants.

While I would never be rude to anyone who wanted to talk about where their old bike is leaking oil from today, I really wouldn't find it that interesting. There also seems to be a natural friction between some Meriden owners who feel their bikes are somehow reduced by the presence of Hinkleys, the tinkerers who'll suggest **** like oil changes every 200 yards against predictions of imeadiate and disasterous acetylene pump failures and Hinckley riders who mostly want to ride. Having this site where the main subject is the Hinckleys is like having a smoking area in the pub, we can indulge ourselves knowing no one will get upset and the classic guys can do their thing in peace.

As to who we are, that's the biggest question. I'm in a minority, I have a Bonneville because it uses BMW R80 level technology with R1100 materials and no previous owners bodges. I couldn't care less about the badge, the company history and what it looks or sounds like, I want simple and tough. At the other end of the scale are owners who treat their bikes like a painters canvas. I don't get it, but they seem to enjoy themselves and do no harm, so I wish them luck.

As to modifications, I'd challenge anyone to find a 12 month old Bonneville outside a dealer that hasn't had something added, removed or changed! It's not that they need it, it's just it's so easy and the parts are out there.

Andy

Jeez 3wheel that was succinct, detailed and yet to the point. Probably most of the same views I have, but expressed in a way I could not have said it. You are in a minority re badge company etc (I reckon to) but you do post some great threads. I am old enough to have owned the old bikes but young enough to prefer to be able to ride bikes hard, more than work on them often, and more often than not the same problems. Can apreciate the oldies to view and if could afford own. But between nostalgia and reliability I know which way my bread is buttered.

Bonniebret

Rocker
I always think of it in the way that the Bonneville had its day in the 70's and then went away. The reemergence or "next generation" would be considered a New Bonneville.

The thing I've noticed is that generally the distain is usually a one way street with the vintage owners. I'm sure the same thing goes on with Corvette and Mustang owners.

The way I see it is everything has to be new at some point. Just hold ont to it long enough and it will become vintage. Hell, it's already starting with me a little. I have an '05 and when I hear about someone having an '09 with EFI I go "Hmmm..." Go figure.

strokerlmt

I had a new Bonneville in 1969 during college years. Road it hard and everywhere. Then a series of Honda's....450,350,250. Then a 30 year bikeless break. It has been great having the new new Bonneville as a hobby distraction from life's stresses and it is truly wonderful riding up the coast on a clear day to Big Sur and back. Always stop at Gorda for a gallon of the most expensive gas in the world. I also enjoy having a bike that can morph thx to Matt, Carlos, Norman Hyde, Brent NewBonneville, Bella, Bill Gatley, Brit Customs............
Press on......
LMT