What happens to modern classics??

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I have a 2006 T100 and a 2005 Thruxton and love both of them to death for their style and character but my question is this how long are Triumph going to hash out these bikes before they become stale or will they just stop producing them soon? I am not wanting a blue over anything as I love these bikes but what I am trying to say is what is the future of a modern classic? These bikes (Modern Classic Bonneville) came out in 2001 with extra models added to the line up later down the track, but apart from some cast wheels, fuel injection and a bigger engine not a real lot has changed in over a decade. All the other Triumph models, Daytona's, speed triples, Tigers etc have all progressed and improved over the years, performance wise and cosmeticaly which is only natural for any bike, car what ever but when you retro a particlular make/model there seems to be a limit into what can happen as far as changes are concerned making it's run limited. People try to say that these Hinkley Bonnies are not a retro but a new model in their own right but to me they are pretty much a modern/retro version of the bikes built around the 66 - 69 era. The only difference is those bikes were able to change with the times and introduce it's followers to a new bike every year with a slightly new look and changes to performance and handling which keeps the interest and the passion going. I am not saying that change is always for the better that is why we have our favourites (I personally would not like to see a repeat of the mid 70's to 80's Bonnies....Blahhh) but life needs changes to keep it interesting and that is where the modern classic is more of a nostalgic creature with a limited life than it is an actual model range with a future. Ducati did a run with the 1000 sport mono posta and bi posta but that has now stopped because what does the bike develop into before its original concept and character is lost to improvement and that is the question with the modern classic Bonnevilles, what do they develop into??? Do they remain the same looking bike for the next 10 years to come, with more and more just turning up on the streets looking basically the same, Yes I know there are some/lots who personalise their bikes as I have also done myself but it is still basically the same bike as the next blokes, what I am talking about is factory changes or will they eventually start to change and change in a way that all models do, performance, handling, looks until such time they will look like the current sport bikes but because the transition will take over the next thirty years they will still be classed as modern classic ?????

neuroboy

750cc
I mean, what economic reason do they have to change other than minor updates? The bike seems to be selling well, the motors are pretty much bulletproof and, outside of the bonnie and thrux, they arguably have the best "modern bike" line-up of any manufacturer out there.

Also, given that the Japanese manufacturers are having supply issues due to the tsunami and economic issues given a strong yen putting their prices stateside on par with European makes, I don't think Triumph really needs to mess with a successful formula. Hell, the Modern Classics only got EFI last year. . . I'm content with them being deliberate with this line.

I think that was what you were asking, right?

slowgator

750cc
IMHO, "classics" remain unchanged as the following definition suggests:

clas·sic (klsk)
adj.
a. Belonging to the highest rank or class.
b. Serving as the established model or standard: a classic example of colonial architecture.
c. Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.
a. Adhering or conforming to established standards and principles: a classic piece of research.
b. Of a well-known type; typical: a classic mistake.
3. Of or characteristic of the literature, art, and culture of ancient Greece and Rome; classical.
a. Formal, refined, and restrained in style.
b. Simple and harmonious; elegant: the classic cut of a suit; the classic lines of a clipper ship.
5. Having historical or literary associations.

To me, the Bonnie is a wonderful combination of the past and present and for many of us, heavy on sentimentality. I don't see Triumph making any big changes to this winner any time soon.

strokerlmt

I feel the same way about my 03 T-100. Best bike I have ever had. I like seeing Triumph's success turn again. I agree with Nboy, why mess with a good thing. The more successful Tri is with the classics, the better the parts and maintenance will get , the better and more mod parts that will come along. All I hear from the duc owners is that they can't get parts or service on certain models.
LMT

There have been a lot of changes to these bikes over the years, which aren't readily visible.

The internals have had considerable engineering invested to make the motors faster, stronger and more reliable.

Aesthetically, nothing needs to change. The bikes are made to be solid all-around motorcycles, like the bikes of the past. The only things that could change are subtle little details to improve fit and finish.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
They seem to be following a path of offering cosmetic options such as the SE, and 50th anniversary and I would bet they just hope to milk it as long as they can, probably for another decade.

For me it begs the question of where motorcycle design is going, back to a more advanced version of a standard? Did the race for more advancement and horsepower and image ruin it for us and do we need to go back to more "utilitarian" motorcycles that just ride good?

neuroboy

750cc
do we need to go back to more "utilitarian" motorcycles that just ride good?

I'm all for that.

Case in point: the new R1. It used to be the most uncomfortable, hardest to control racer rep (and that's saying a lot given the class). They totally re-engineer it. . . more usable power, beefier exhaust note, less like a piece of torture equipment ergonomically. . . and what happens? Yamaha gets totally reamed by the press because it's a little heavier and the peak power isn't up to snuff with expectations. Total b.s. in my opinion. . . in terms of just having a good, usable, fun to ride bike how much power do you really need?

//steps down of soapbox

T100JIP

Scooter
Two Dogs,

I think they have a great thing going with the T100 and Bonnevilles, Thruxtons. I really expect them to cash in an all of them. I would not be surprised to see a "Wild One' edition, though they may not be legally permitted to call it that. Look at the Army green Scrambler, is that the Hollywood icon's bike (Steve McQueen) they patterned it after as in the Great Escape...Yep a Marlon Brando edition is the next logical step...:)
T100JIP

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
It is an interesting point Twodogs makes. Could Triumph mass produce a "classic" bike that has a different look that what we have now? I don't think so from a mass production bike standpoint. The 70's Bonnies are ugly IMO, and as much as I would love to see a post war Triumph styled bike, hard tails won't sell in large quantity. With the current modern classic range Triumph has hit the nail on the head, good classic look with all the new technology available. It will be here till tastes change and we want 80's styled bikes with stupid looking rectangular headlights.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
It would be my expectation that Triumph will continue to build the Bonneville making improvements along the way as long as it keeps selling. At the price they're selling them for, it's my belief that we can expect to see the models around for a long while. Basically, H-D has been bulding the FLH series since forever only making improvements along the way and they are still getting mega bucks for each bike these days.
I don't know about y'all but, I don't really like the Transformer Movie look-a-likes that many newer models are coming out with these days.
It would thrill me to find out that Triumph was designing a 500 single that resembled one they built back in the 40's or 50's. The Modern Classic lineup doesn't have to be limited to just the current Bonneville models ya know? I'd like to see Triumph do a Thruxton like race version of one of the singles also. Full nosecone fairing and all.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Harley has survived making the same 6 bikes for the last 70 years why cant triumph? they at least have their other lines of bikes to keep making the profit and everything.

drlapo

Hooligan
need: better brakes: dump the sliding calipers
better suspension, cartridge?

a bit more HP: higher compression or wilder cams?
could be done at not much additional $

strokerlmt

sport bikes are like Jerry Bruckheimer movies....extremely loud abnoxious, the scenes have no endings, fast chopped clipped edits and they change colors with the next bubble gum flavor for the Xers.
LMT

Heizer

Scooter
This is only tangentially referring to the original post, but modern bikes in general sort of leave me cold. Never been a fan of plastic, in my cars, scooters, or motorcycles, and have spent the last 18 months slowly removing it from my Bonnie.

I don't have anything against new bikes, it's really just an aesthetic choice. Since these Bonnies were the types of bikes that I first remember seeing as a boy, and the Bonnie itself, at least to my eyes, is almost the perfect balance between utility and looks--fashion and function--it's the style that's stuck with me.

I bought a 2009 Bonnie T100 because I love the look of it, and wanted to spend the bulk of my free time riding.

Where they go from here is anyone's guess, but a little part of me would love to see a Modern Classic Speed Twin 500, ala Royal Enfield. And how about a modern Tiger Cub 200 for newer riders?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
They continue building no question...in today's market we have every type of bike for every type of occassion. Or that at least is what they want us to believe. Sport bike, sport tourer, street fighter, cruiser, tourer, and so on and so on. I'm surprised they don't have the deluxe grocery store runner versus the stormin' bar hopper. The modern classic fits into a niche and it is a niche that demands very little change...from the company AND the customer.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
It would thrill me to find out that Triumph was designing a 500 single that resembled one they built back in the 40's or 50's. The Modern Classic lineup doesn't have to be limited to just the current Bonneville models ya know? I'd like to see Triumph do a Thruxton like race version of one of the singles also. Full nosecone fairing and all.

A 500 single Thumper!!!! I'd love to see THAT!
I'd sell my left nut for one of them.

I have the '02 Triumph Centennial T100.
Triumph have produced and successfully marketed the 50th Anniversary Bonneville.
My son says he'll buy the Centennial Bonneville when he's an old fart like me.

Nuff said.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
As far as I was concerned when I got mine it was not only that it looked good, but it was a great standard bike. Good useable HP, comfortable for those rides up in the mountains. Everything my previous metric cruiser wasn't.

The other pluses were you didn't see yourself coming back at you on the hiway. The Bonnies are unique and people ask you about them when you're stopped at a light or gassing up or eating.

A long model run is great since you know there will be parts available for a long, long time.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
As far as I was concerned when I got mine it was not only that it looked good, but it was a great standard bike.

I think this sums it up right here. When you are in the market for a Bonnie, then you want the standard Bonnie...the classic/useable bike that has become famous to the name. It is usually AFTER the purchase when the customers would change this or change that to make it this or make it that. Myself included...I wanted the basic/classic Bonnie when I went looking. The great middle ground is that these bikes are a great canvas to start cutting up and doing what we like to them afterwards.