Warning: California Evaporitive System

wolfie

Two Stroke
So my bike started running terrible recently, which means that I trailered my bike 700 miles and didn't get to ride the dragon.

It turns out that my Bonnie purchased new in Missouri by me, is a California model, complete with a whole bunch of non-essential hoses and canisters. It also turns out that one of these hoses, the carb vent hose can become pinched with the movement of swingarm. When this happens, the bike loses power intermittently, backfires, and generally runs like crap. This problem only presented when I carried a passenger.

The Triumph mechanic said it's a common problem.

I thought I would give you guys a heads up. Look under your bike. If you have a couple of evap canisters, you have a CA model.

Oxblood

750cc
Doesn't take long to ditch all that junk. I pulled all mine off right after I got my bike in april 2007 and never had a problem. It's pretty amazing how much there is though. I did pack it all into a box in case I did ever need it for some strange reason.

Last edited:

Oxblood

750cc
_MG_5994.JPG

Theres a little bit of air injection stuff here but the rest is evaporative.

REVOLT

Street Tracker
_MG_5994.JPG

Theres a little bit of air injection stuff here but the rest is evaporative.

I remember removing all that crap and throwing it in the garbage can right around 533miles on the clock...right after the '500' mile service...although mine was not a CA model...and I don't think it had as much crap, particularly the canisters...it was a great moment!!!

wolfie

Two Stroke
Well, that wasn't it.

With the bike running, and the wifey on pillion, the bike dies or stutters any time we hit a bump or otherwise compress the suspension. This last check I just had her sit on the back, and jump up and down, which killed it.

I'm thinking electrical, possibly coil or more likely, a faulty sidestand switch.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Regardless, it's going back to the dealership Tuesday as I only have a couple of weeks left on my warranty.

Oxblood

750cc
My bike was dying on me intermittently and when I hit bumps. Figured out today on the side of the road the ground wire on my battery was a bit loose.

loxpump

Rocker
Reminds me of my 1978 Ford pickup, I swear I filled a garbage bag with hoses, and cans, and it never ran better. I wish "they" would just go hug a tree and leave our Bonnies alone.

TheBBR

Scooter
Wolfie,

I had a similar issue with mine and it ended up being the ecu under the seat. They replaced it and pushed the seat pan up a little for added clearance and the problem never resurface. It took a couple trips to the dealership for me to get it straightened out. You should be golden since you logged the complaint before the warranty ended even if it takes a while to get them to fix it right.

A

juggernaut

Scooter
I had a similar issue on my '06 with the main connector into the ignition module. It seemed to cut out occasionally over bumps. I could re-create the problem as well at idle by pressing on the connector.
I solved it by sealing the connection with a liberal application of electrolytic grease. (tune up grease)
The problem never returned.

shinerman

Scooter
As soon as my AI removal bolts come in from newbonneville.com - my mess will be removed too. although I dont seem to have the larger canister on my Black model '08. Thanks for posting

zmilin

Street Tracker
Well, that wasn't it.

With the bike running, and the wifey on pillion, the bike dies or stutters any time we hit a bump or otherwise compress the suspension. This last check I just had her sit on the back, and jump up and down, which killed it.

I'm thinking electrical, possibly coil or more likely, a faulty sidestand switch.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Regardless, it's going back to the dealership Tuesday as I only have a couple of weeks left on my warranty.

read the primary post here...http://www.bonnevilleamerica.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=406074&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD
Granted he has other issue with his bike BUT sounds like you may also have an issue with one or both of the following:
1) loose coil wire
2) faulty ground

I also had an issue similar to yours with my g/f bike. I found a loose coil wire. Been running great since then.

wolfie

Two Stroke
Looks like I'll be hauling her down to Eldorado Springs Saturday as the local KC dealer is staffed with incompetent retards.

I'll give the full version after I've calmed down, but the short version is that if you want an exercise in frustration, go ahead and deal with Engle Motors' service dept. I'll not be gracing that particular establishment with any more of my money.