Want a scrambler :(

MuckSavage

Scooter
Don't let my bonneville hear me, she'll get jealous. I have been eyeing a scrambler for a while. I love the bonneville, of course, but I can't stop dreaming about that scrambler!

Anybody ridden both, and if so, what where your comparisons?

Oh, and anyone have any lines on what the '10 color schemes will be?

Neducati

Two Stroke
Don't let my bonneville hear me, she'll get jealous. I have been eyeing a scrambler for a while. I love the bonneville, of course, but I can't stop dreaming about that scrambler!

Anybody ridden both, and if so, what where your comparisons?

Oh, and anyone have any lines on what the '10 color schemes will be?

Big Ron Burgundy fan here. . .

Don't worry about what your Bonnie might think. I have both and they play very well together. They have different personalities despite sharing so much in common. If you do some searches on this site, I'm sure you'll find a lot has been written about the differences and similarities of the two models. But that's just other people's impressions. What matters most is your opinion and you need to ride both of them for more than a few miles, in varying types of roads, at different speeds, to really get a feel for their differences.

If you're curious about an impression from a well-respected moto journalist who recently bought both bikes, read the "A Tale of Two Triumphs" article by Peter Egan on page 24 of the November, 2009 edition of Cycle World.

Ned

KingBear

Hooligan
Even as I was signing the paperwork for my Bonnie I was casting glances over at the Scramblers. I've never regretted my choice but I do like the Scrammy.

Even as I was signing the paperwork for my Bonnie I was casting glances over at the Scramblers. I've never regretted my choice but I do like the Scrammy.

It was the Scrambler that had me running to the Triumph Dealer, only to find out it was not at the dealer yet. I saw it on the internet back in December '05 and remembered we had a dealer here in Austin. I went there after work that same day, was bummed the Scrambler wasn't there, but bought my Bonnie anyway :D

davevv

moped
It was the Scrambler that got me to seriously look at a Triumph for the first time since I started riding in '61. The dealer didn't have a Scrambler demo, but I did get a ride on a Bonnie. Though it was a nice enough bike, I honestly wouldn't buy a Bonnie. It just felt physically small and I was never really comfortable on it or impressed by it. It actually felt a lot like my old 750 Nighthawk but with a little less power. There were a couple Scramblers on the dealer's floor that I could sit on though, and they did feel better.

I bought my first Scrambler sight unseen in a kind of leap of faith. It was a used '06 that was several hundred miles away and I made the deal over the phone. It quickly became my all time favorite general purpose bike. It fits me well and handles great with plenty of power for anything I want to do. Plus, it looks like a genuine motorcycle (yes I'm an older guy) should and makes me smile every time I see it sitting in the garage even without getting on it for a ride. I still use my Harley for touring because it's more comfortable on long days, but otherwise I'm on the Scrambler. I like it so much that I couldn't resist buying a second one when I ran across it at a great price. It's a red/white '06 just like the first one, and my son rides it nearly every day.

Obviously, the Bonnie is just as good a bike, but it just doesn't flip my switch like the Scram. If we all had the same preferences, they'd only make one bike for everyone. Try one sometime. Maybe it'll work for you too.

Last edited:
It actually felt a lot like my old 750 Nighthawk but with a little less power.

I too used to own a Nighthawk 750, I sold mine back in '98. I was checking the specs on the Nighthawk the other day and was surprised to find out the Nighthawk and the Bonnie's hp rating is very similar, but the bonnie makes the power lower:

Nighthawk Specs:

HP: 65.57 @ 9000
TQ: 41.54 ft. lbs @ 7500

Bonnie Specs:

Maximum Power 67bhp at 7,500 rpm
Maximum Torque 51ft.lbf at 5,800 rpm

Of course, mine makes more power than that :D

koifarm

Hooligan
Yup!

Same here KingBear, it was a tough call at the dealers showroom. Back awhile I had a Honda scram and loved it, so I've got a thing for them....unfortunately my wife wasn't gonna pay for two....:nono:
Aahh well, maybe when she's paid off next year.....

drlapo

Hooligan
yeah the Scrambler is cool and I test ride one every year but never buy one
the drop in power is just too dramatic in comparison to my Thuxton
now if they put the 360 motor in it.....

yeah the Scrambler is cool and I test ride one every year but never buy one
the drop in power is just too dramatic in comparison to my Thuxton
now if they put the 360 motor in it.....

the power difference has a lot more to do with the cams than the phasing of the engine. Stick some good cams in the Scramber and it'd be a lot better runner.

drlapo

Hooligan
open the airbox= $125
new mufflers= $500
cams= $1000
just too much IMO
come on Triumph give us a new and improved Scrambler with a 360 motor, 69hp, high pipes on each side like a firebird Scrambler and some flashy colors

tribear

Street Tracker
I have both. LOVE the 360deg in my Bonnie and I LOVE the 270deg in the Scram. It would kill the Scram's character (IMO) to put a 360deg engine in it. Dumping the airbox or doing the dual entry mod to the airbox woke it up big time....and cheap. It just wanted more air. She got it and the difference is incredible.

drlapo

Hooligan
I have both. LOVE the 360deg in my Bonnie and I LOVE the 270deg in the Scram. It would kill the Scram's character (IMO) to put a 360deg engine in it. Dumping the airbox or doing the dual entry mod to the airbox woke it up big time....and cheap. It just wanted more air. She got it and the difference is incredible.

OK now you've got me thinking

DIRK

750cc
the colurs and specs for the 10's are on the tri site today. you can choose black or the not shiny khaki matt.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
. . If you're curious about an impression from a well-respected moto journalist who recently bought both bikes, read the "A Tale of Two Triumphs" article by Peter Egan on page 24 of the November, 2009 edition of Cycle World.

I really liked that article. You could tell he liked the look of his Bonnie more yet liked riding the Scram more. Makes me reconsider a bit myself....