Wallaby Run

Late last year a couple of us rode down the coast to have a beer with a friend who was staying at his holiday van for a week. While the riding in this area is good we took it easy, 10 / 15 km/h over the posted speed limit. Unfortunately two fatals had been reported on the same road over the previous couple of weeks so the boys were out to stomp on speed. While we had a good but uneventful ride, the thing you may find interesting is the wild life at the park site. The Wallabies come and go as they please, they are wild from the bush, but have come to associate people with easy food and we not being much of a gun carrying society don’t shoot them. They mainly stay on the edge of the van park so they can scamper quickly if dogs etc bother them. Bird life is abundant the length of the Australian East Coast, while we were having some lunch a flock of Rainbow Lorikeets came in to demand a meal. They will land on your head and shoulders if you sit or stand still. At about 3.00pm we headed back on the two hour ride home with one beer stop at Berry (another of those pubs all bikers have to stop at for a chat).
Apologies to those who may have seen these photos on another forum once frequented by someone like me.

This is an old buck, just looking for a handout, or a quick naughty if an obliging female stands still long enough.

P9130030.jpg

This is a female with a joey sticking out of her pouch.

CopyofP9130024.jpg

Another female with joey's back legs sticking out of her pouch.

P9130008.jpg

The Rainbow Lorikeets cleaning up some bread.

P9130013.jpg

Hey otherwise I was down your way at Hyams Beach last month. Was amazing to actually see some roos come out of the bush and wander on beach, but only saw once as normally there are a lot of people walking dogs there. Another similar area is Mackeral beach, where you also see metre plus goannas as well wandering around. Dogs not allowed there so is realy cool. At night the beach is a mass of soldier crabs as far the eye can see. We still have a lot of Emus near me, and see them more now that they are developing the ADI site. Guess because there losing more habitat.

LINDY

Two Stroke
Thanks for posting, I allways enjoy seeing places that I will probably never get to go. But one can dream about it, and the pictures help make those dreams alittle more realistic!

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Kevin, I can imagine what the old fella's thinking....."Bloody Kevin. He promised me the caravan park would be full of birds, bastard."

whyme

TT Racer
Nice pics. When I was up in Cairns we woke up after arriving late at night. I could not believe the birds (both kinds actually) that were flying around. Beats the pigeons and seagulls we have here.

I have a pic somewhere of a wallaby sitting on a barstool....i think it was called Fisher Island? Beautiful country you have there!

Very cool photos! They seem friendly, or they pests that get into stuff?

When they live on the fringe of civilization like that mob they tend to ignore people as long as you don't walk directly up to them. Normally about 1 mtr is their comfort zone, unless you are offering food then they will come to your hand. They can annoy people by emptying garbage bins, but they aren't as bad as the possums.

I have a pic somewhere of a wallaby sitting on a barstool....i think it was called Fisher Island? Beautiful country you have there!

Probably Fraser Island. The largest sand isle in the world, or so they say. Did you feed the dingos, or did you leave your kids at home;)

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Very cool photos! They seem friendly, or they pests that get into stuff?

They're a problem in some places. The horny young males can get real friendly and try to hump your leg. Many years ago while we were having a picnic in the bush, one tried it on my 9 year old daughter. They grab hold with those short little front legs and are a bugger to extricate.
You've gotta watch those hindlegs though as they can disembowel you in one swift downward stroke. Real cute!

Probably would have been Frazer Island in southeast Queensland, whyme.

whyme

TT Racer
yeah...that was it. Did a little diving around there and out to the reef. We visited a friend from the states in Bundaberg too. He was living there for a bit.