Vacant Buildings in the area

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
28 years ago Chrysler was getting bail out money from the Reagan administration so these are not first time or landmark events. What happens though is that some companies will move back in but often re-build so you have a hodge podge of abandoned buildings along side newly constructed ones. I think San Francisco is a good example, as well as Pike Place Market in Seattle; Starbucks was able to stay in the market because that is the location of the original store and they have restrictions on what they can sell in that specific store which is designed to protect the market as a whole. Free enterprise is meant towards competition in the market; not a one sided avenue for corporations to dominant targeted markets they want to enter into. When that happens then choice is taken away both for potential proprietors and customers alike.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Our downtown has been dying for years & years... It probably started when Grants moved to town back in the 60's, then Ames, then Kmart (2 stores - evidently, the first one wasn't big enough), now Walmart. People here have no money so they just go where it's cheapest, it's great to shop where you want if you can afford it, otherwise you go where it's cheapest & the people who work at Walmart are people I know who needed jobs. The people downtown making a go of it already have more money than me & wouldn't give me the time of day unless I walked in their store... Clicky town. :) Empty buildings? We got plenty!