Tyre question??

sprocket42

Scooter
Not much happenin', on the Scrambler thread, so here's a question.
I'm thinking of getting rid of the Bridgestone Trail (death) wing tyres on my scrambler and going for something a little more aggressive like Continental TKC 80's cos in my book if the bike 's called a 'scrambler' it's just got to have knobbly tyres. Also a lot of the roads in Ireland are ,well, really rough.
SO, the question is what size to go for? Only size I can get for the front is 110/80QB-19 will this be OK?
Sizes available for the rear are 130/80T-17 and the slightly fatter 140/80T-17Will the fatter one be OK or are there clearance and fitting issues?
Thanx in anticipation for your help and expertise.

Sprocket42:pick:

rmak

moped
Sproket,
Can't speak from direct experience, but there was a regular contributor in the old rat.net site who ran a 140 rear tire on his Scrambler. Saw photos of it and read the discussion at that time. There didn't seem to be any clearance issues at all.

On the flip side, the local dealer's service guy said he didn't recommend larger rear tire when I asked. He gave no reason. Maybe he didn't have that size in stock.:chin:

Mats

Two Stroke
Hi
I've used a 140/80 Pirelli MT21 in the rear witout any clearence problem.
Front I used a 110/90 Maxxis IT Desert. Didn't have any problem there either although I did change the hexbolts on the mudguard bracket to countersunk cap head bolts. Worked fine. See pic. So if my tyres fit OK the TKC's should too.
Scrambler.jpg
Cheers /Mats

Any of you guys change your own tires? I had the last set swapped at a shop ($120 to mount & balance!) and I'm interested in taking a crack at it myself. I've changed my share of bicycle tires, but they don't require balancing for speeds of 100 mph... Anything I need to know?

trustme

Scooter
Changing your own tyres is no biggy, but some are way stiffer than others in the side wall which can make them a bitch to get on & off . My Pirellis were balanced so I marked the valve postion so when refitted they were still in balance. There is a good tyre changing thread in advrider
Fitted some Mitas eo7 but did not worry about balance as I dont go over 120 kph with them & they seem OK
Generally we get them fitted & balanced as part of the purchase price of the tyres so you only do tyre changes if you swap tyres around on a regular basis.

Mats ;- How do those tyres hang on in the wet . part of the reason I pulled the Mitas off & refitted the Pirellis was because they were not good in the wet . I will refit when the weather improves & rain is the exception rather than the norm

Mats

Two Stroke
Thanks MOSES!

I haven't really pushed them on the wet bitumen as I really didn't expect them to grip especially good then (and I'm a wuss). On the dry they're not too bad.

The rear Pirelli MT21 I've used on a previous bike, a Honda XR650R, so I knew it was a great tyre on the gravel roads and dirt and surprisingly good on asphalt. It wears quick, it lasted just over 2000kms, 1250miles, on the Triumph (1200k to 1500k on the XR!)

The front is really a MX rear, 19" fronts are hard to find if you don't want the expensive TKC80. When new it did supply some exciting moments on paved roads, braking was not to be done to aggressive, then it would lock and skid...
That improved much with wear though. It is, and becomes more so with wear, a rather square section so it's not too confidence inspiring on asphalt.
They are the dogs 'nads on gravel roads though!

I've got Pirelli MT60 front and rear now. Gained at least 25kph in top speed and the turbine like sound is gone too...I'd really like to try the TKC's now..

P8230019Mindre.jpg

Cheers! /Mats

Last edited:

tri boy

Scooter
Hi sproket.
I regularly run 130/80 TKC's on the rear. Have never tried a 140, but can't see a clearance problem.
I'm sold on TKC's on the front, and swap between Mitas E-09, TKC, or Metz Sahara 3 on the rear.

Attachments

• 2008_0418Scrambler0037.jpg
    2008_0418Scrambler0037.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2008_0120Scrambler0008.jpg
    2008_0120Scrambler0008.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
  • 2008_0418Scrambler0036.jpg
    2008_0418Scrambler0036.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0

tri boy

Scooter
I slip them off if I'm in for alot of sealed riding, (and fit old trail wings/ Sahara's etc). So i'm getting about 8-10000 kms easily. The Mitas E-09 has been doing about 50/50 seal /gravel, and looks like its good for at least 7000km.
TKC's up front last for ages.

scolepdx

Scooter
Metzeler Tourances?

I'm thinking about getting rid of my stock tires too. Seems like I seen a lot about Metzeler Tourances. Are they good tires? Right now I'm mostly sealed road, just did my first time in gravel a few weeks back but I'm mostly commuting to work so probably a 80 / 20 sealed vs. off-road is good. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Metezler Tourances, hands down......

I replaced the deathwings with Michelin Anakees and the overall handling was vastly improved..... the tourances are exponentially better especially on wet pavement..

How do the TKC hold in the wet? We are planing a ride from TX to CO and will run along the continental divide. My worry is that the TKC will flame out on the trip to the trail head. Once there I know they will do fine.