Twisties through the Pass

GuyM

Street Tracker
My buddy and I enjoyed one heck of a good ride on one of my favorite roads. Nearly 300 miles out and back, but full of fun riding here in Washington State. Our objective was Washington Pass, up on highway 20, an east-west road that runs mighty close to Canada, right across the Cascade Mountains. The pass is only open about 8 or 9 months each year, due to incredibly deep snow and extreme avalanche danger. Here's a few photos of our ride:

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

Triumph.jpg

The Scrambler ran great, plenty of power all the way up the pass and 52 mpg. My buddy, following on his 1000cc V-Strom said the Norman Hyde pipes sounded great too. Probably the last big ride of the season, as fall rapidly approaches with cooler weather. I'll ride most of the year, but only short hops in the cold.

Regards, Guy

GuyM

Street Tracker
Yeah, I average around 40 - 45 in mixed city/country riding, but the little Scram has consistently been able to milk out 50 - 54 mpg out on the open road. Then again, I don't push her real hard & fast. Last winter I installed the Norman Hyde "silencers" from New Bonneville, and early this spring I had the bike tuned, with a little carb work. I think that helped too, although it did better than 50 mpg a few times stock too.

If I get out on the interstate or somewhere, riding fast, 75+ mph, milage seems to drop off pretty bad. On the state highways, cruising at 60 - 65 mph the Scram does pretty well.

I love that road... The WSP loves it too! While we were heading up, me leading, a state trooper came around the corner. I saw him dip his head, checking the mobile radar with two bikes coming at him... I didn't look at my speedometer, but my buddy said his GPS indicated we were doing 59 mph at the time. I think we disappointed the Trooper!