Truck Owners Out There?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I still have a little time left here on my tour in Japan but I will definitely be getting a truck when I return. It will be 20 years since I have called the USofA home as far as where I have been hanging my hat and I'm kind of out-dated on the happenings on the simple things. I'm looking at that RAM2500...seems like a really nice truck and have been reading good things about it. How about anyone else; any truck owners in here to agree with me or call me a moron because of what I'm looking at? Let's hear what trucks you own and why is that the best or worse vehicle to consider.

rodburner

Rocker
I doubt you can go wrong with any of the new pickups by any manufacturer. All the diesel models get 20+mpg and several will pull incredible loads.Just decide what you will need it for,towing,hauling etc and get the package. They are ALL too big to park in a normal parking space though.:D
I drive a 91 Mazda B2600 and it does everything I need a truck to do,plus 30mpg. I've never owned a vehicle that cost more to buy than my house.:lol:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
You are not kidding...I am seeing the prices on some of these new trucks and I am floored by it. Wasn't there a time when you got a truck to throw shit in the back and use it to death? Now they are glamorized out with more shit on it than a luxury car! Give me something I can hose down...outside and inside!

mark66

TT Racer
I pretty much agree with Rodburner, figure out what your needs will be and start from there. Myself I drive a 2003 Chevy 4 wheel drive short bed with a towing package. Bought the short bed because I really didn't need the extra space of a full length bed, I'm not a contractor, and I can park easily in any spot. Turning radius on it is short. I used the smaller pickups, Mazda, for 6 years prior to this one, and found I wanted a little more room (inside and out) so went for the full size truck when I bought this last one. And as far as manufacturers, I think Rod is right, their all pretty much equal......Mark

loxpump

Rocker
You are not kidding...I am seeing the prices on some of these new trucks and I am floored by it. Wasn't there a time when you got a truck to throw shit in the back and use it to death? Now they are glamorized out with more shit on it than a luxury car! Give me something I can hose down...outside and inside!

You can still get that truck that you can treat like a truck, just don't buy a new one. Like Bonnies, there's a lot of of good used ones out there that still have years of life left in them and you won't have to worry about being the first one to scratch the bed. For $900.00, I got a 1978 Ford F150, extended cab, and with the 400 V8 engine not only does it pull like a horse it gives me a whopping 10-15 mpg. Runs great but when it does have a problem I don't need to call a computer programmer to diagnose it.

Bonniebret

Rocker
I have a 2002 F150. I bought it new and with regular maintenance it's been very reliable mechanically. My only complaint from a performance standpoint is the turning radius is HUGE. 2-3 point turns are always happening. However now things are starting break. The driver side power door lock solenoid went out, the spring on the slide out cup holder broke and bits of rotted out black foam occasionally blow out of the vents. But hey, it's paid for.

nohawk

Rocker
I bought a '93 f150 a few months back for 1500. 300ci six,AC and thats about it. Solid truck for next to nothing.

whyme

TT Racer
I have a Honda Ridgeline. Not much of a bed but enough for me. Car like ride and interior. I really like it, but it is kind of ugly. A have 4 friends who bought one after they drove mine. If you plan on big hauling I would look for a nice 4-door domestic.

I bought a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab. I got the 4 banger because I commute 100 miles a day to work. I've averaged between 29 and 30 mpg, and the Bonnie fits in the bed.
The mid size pickups now are about the same size as the 90's full size.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I'm with slick willy. These newer trucks are huge. I really liked my 90 GMC Sierra, V6 5speed. Got about 21-22 on the road and 18 in town. Unfortunately I fed it to the elements and the paint went south quick on it, then the seats.

it all depends on what you want a truck for. I really liked my buddie's Mazda 2600. Basically a Ford Ranger. It also had a V6, but more HP in it. And I'm becoming a fan of automatic transmissions in trucks.

If you're going new, ask to see the cheapest truck on the lot and go from there. I never had a need for an xtra cab anything or 4WD.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I bought a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab. I got the 4 banger because I commute 100 miles a day to work. I've averaged between 29 and 30 mpg, and the Bonnie fits in the bed.
The mid size pickups now are about the same size as the 90's full size.

I didn't realize that the trucks have gotten that much bigger and thanks for the heads up on that. For whatever reason, you never see trucks on the road here in Japan so it is hard to keep up with what is going on. I definitely do not need half of a yacht to pull into the local parking area.

I'm with slick willy. These newer trucks are huge. I really liked my 90 GMC Sierra, V6 5speed. Got about 21-22 on the road and 18 in town. Unfortunately I fed it to the elements and the paint went south quick on it, then the seats.

it all depends on what you want a truck for. I really liked my buddie's Mazda 2600. Basically a Ford Ranger. It also had a V6, but more HP in it. And I'm becoming a fan of automatic transmissions in trucks.

If you're going new, ask to see the cheapest truck on the lot and go from there. I never had a need for an xtra cab anything or 4WD.

I don't care for 4WD...not something I would really use but I do want a standard for driving in different conditions. It's mainly a truck for the weekend warrior...bikes, snowmobiles, landscaping, and the other 1001 odds and ends that a truck is perfect for. I guess it will come down to price...military cars and sales offers a really good service with really good discounts for those of us stationed overseas that are wanting a stateside delivery for when we return. But if the used market is that strong both in quality and price...then that is the option I might want to look into. I definitely want to buy American, not looking to flame up a fight just saying my own personal choice. I have always owned Japanese cars but after living here for so long, I have developed a little bit of an attitude on how they sock a tarriff on our imported products but yet they can under sell us in the states. Not really that fair in a fair market trade concept. Thank you for the help though; all these "little" aspects is the kind of things I need to know.

cynr1023

TT Racer
I stole mine from the dealership. brand new 2008 V6 Ram 1500. Gets about 19-22 on the highway. As basic as you can get, standard tranny, push down door locks and roll up windows. It's a little tall to be putting the bike in the back but I don't do it that often so it's not that annoying. The only reason I got it was to get me out of the inclement weather and to move the scooter around if I needed to, and it does a bang up job of that. I just wish the wife and daughter wouldn't drive it so much and fuck it up.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Ext Cab Long Bed with the Cummins turbo diesel engine and a 5spd manual trans. 2wd, but loaded, other than having a rubber floor instead of carpet. It's a great truck that I rarely drive (I have a Honda Fit I bought to drive to death). I have almost 100k miles on the truck and it runs as good as new.

I do look like Shrek sitting inside a walnut shell while driving it...

but it's a great car for my job. It holds a ton of stuff, is nice to drive, and gets 35+ mpg.

badda_bing

Two Stroke
I have a 94 F150 4X4 extra cab. Best investment of my life. it rarely gets driven, the Jeep is the daily winter driver, Thrux in summer. When I need the truck, it is there. Always starts and no problems. Look for a good used truck. Just stay away from anything lifted and with all the pre-requisite stickers.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram V10. 4wd. I hate the thing. It eats up those off road tires and thery are expensive. It gets about 10mpg without a load or tow. And it is much too high off the ground to safely get my street bikes in and out of the bed.
Next truck will be two wheel drive and I am lowering it.
I have had ford F150s in the past. I may go back to one of those.

koifarm

Hooligan
Truckin

I'll put in a word for the Chevy S-10 series extended cab. I've got the smallest 4 banger, it gets 28-30 mpg on the road. I've towed boats, a small camping trailer and a couple of utility trailers one with my bike on it with no problems whatsoever.
I've got an 04, the newer models are a tad bigger but still the same general idea. You can opt for 6 cylinders as well as a larger 4 cylinder if you like. Mine's a five speed manual.
Interestingly enough, they are geared just like Harleys. I was behind a rider on a HD and noticed, amazed, that he shifted at the same time I did and through all five gears exactly the same. Probably just a coincidence but remarkable for sure.

Bonneville09er

Street Tracker
loaded 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRx4 Off-Road package. HEMI. Over 400hp with the DIABLO tuner. gets 19 mpg on the highway. Will go into 4 cylinder. Around town varies, 13 being the average. I have a custom built MC tailer my father built that I have not pulled yet. Bed is small, 5'7", another foot and a half with tailgate open. Obviously I love this truck.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0