Triumph's retro Scrambler exudes '60s cool

KingBear

Hooligan
From the Ottawa Citizen, July 9...

Triumph's retro Scrambler exudes '60s cool

By Tim Yip, Canwest News ServiceJuly 9, 2010

The Harley-Davidson Motor Co. knows it. Italian motorcycle manufacturer Ducati knows it. And the legendary British motorcycle company Triumph knows it. Retro-style motorcycles that look like they were pulled from the '50s, '60s and '70s sell well.

Undoubtedly, Triumph's Modern Classic line (comprised of the Bonneville variants, the Thruxton café racer and our test Scrambler) helped the company achieve record Canadian sales in 2009.

In designing the 2010 Scrambler, Triumph pulled every design trick in the book to mimic a 1960s-era bike, starting with the curvaceously-sculpted gas tank from the Bonneville, then adding large, chrome badges, rubber knee pads, fork gaiters, wire wheels (19-inch in front), and iconic twin upswept side exhausts.

Helping complete this time travel magic are faux carb bodies (with a fast idle tab that looks like a choke lever) even though the Scrambler is fuel-injected. The sole giveaway this is a modern machine is the single front disc brake, a detail only the most eagle-eyed vintage motorcycle enthusiasts will spot.

Our demo bike came in fashionable matte paint (which is available on various models and has proven popular) in a shade of green that reminds one of a Second World War military bike, the perfect finishing touch to the bike's vintage look.

Swing a leg over the Scrambler, and the first thing you notice is the simple instrumentation -- a lone speedometer flanked by high beam, turn signal, neutral and low oil warning lights.

There's no tachometer -- one is available -- but really, none is needed. Insert the key into the ignition, which is located on the left fork leg, while the steering lock is located on the steering head -- another throwback to yesteryear -- and the fuel-injected parallel twin settles into a quick idle.

The handlebars are wide and upright, and the saddle is a tad tall. The footpegs, at least for me, are placed precisely where you want to drop your feet when stopping. This forces the rider to splay his or her legs even farther apart, making the Triumph feel slightly awkward at rest.

Those twin, chrome, high exhausts that look so stunning are placed exactly where your right thigh wants to be, but no worries, they're fitted with heat shields and never burn.

Clutch pull is quite light, but the five-speed transmission has a slightly notchy character (this could get smoother as the bike breaks in.) Around town the Scrambler's suspension soaks up potholes admirably. The flat, firm saddle allows the rider to easily move around, and Triumph smartly offers a number of optional saddles.

Thanks to the wide handlebars and the narrow 19-inch front tire, the Scrambler turns into bends with a light touch. On gravel surfaces, the narrow front tire helps the bike track decently, but make no mistake, this Triumph is no off-road racer. It can be put into light off-road service and is capable on groomed surfaces. The single front disc brake requires a firm squeeze to haul the bike down from speed.

With 58 horsepower, the DOHC twin is no powerhouse, but has ample torque for use as a city bike or commuter. This engine prefers short-shifting and, as previously noted, the lack of a standard tachometer isn't missed.

The bike's sweet spot is between 90 and 110 km/h. It will cruise at 120 km/h, but at that speed a slight vibration creeps through the handlebars and the windblast becomes tiresome. The best bet is to stick to the side roads, roll the throttle back, and savour this Brit bike's character and the scenery.

The 2010 Triumph Scrambler is a captivating, smile-inducing ride. For the generation of motorcyclists who know actor Steve McQueen without the aid of a computer search, this retro-roadster is an express ticket to the 1960s. It looks perfectly vintage without any of the pitfalls of owning a restored machine -- leaky engines, fussy carburetors and dodgy wiring. I'd bet if McQueen were still with us today, this would be his motorcycle of choice.

2010 Triumph Scrambler

Type of vehicle: Retro standard

Engine: 865-c.c. air-cooled DOHC parallel twin

Transmission: 5-speed

Power: 58 h.p. at 6,800 r.p.m.; 50 lb.-ft. at 4,750 r.p.m.

Fuel tank: 16 litres

Typical fuel range: 200 km

Price: $9,999

GuyM

Street Tracker
Thanks for posting that. Nice write-up on the Scram. I'd have to agree with it, although mine is a 2006.

Regards, Guy

casper

Two Stroke
I know I have a 2006 Scrambler. Had it for over 2 years now and I like my quirky big Scram.

The 2006 models were all in built in the UK I believe? I think the newer ones are built in Thailand (do correct me if wrong).

Check out my site which is partly dedicated to the Scram.

http://www.freewebs.com/bonnevilles/index.htm

Casper :)

casper

Two Stroke
My bike was made in Thailand? I had no idea. That's a bummer. :(

Roy,

no worries, my brakes were made in Japan and my bike clocks were made in Taiwan!

These days no vehicle is truly made in its country of origin as such.

Enjoy the beast!

Casper :)

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Thanks Casper. I guess it is just the nostalga. Either way I love the bike and enjoy riding the heck out of it. Thai by birth but English by heritage.

Arjen

moped
Guys,

VOXAN ,a French manufacturer of V twin bikes (nice ones) has tried that,get ALL the parts from France.

VOXAN is dead now.......delivery and quality problems... shame.

My scrambler has japanese suspension,gearbox,clutch,carburettors,electrics and so on....

Who gives a damn,the thing rides fantastic!!

Greets from Holland

casper

Two Stroke
Guys,

VOXAN ,a French manufacturer of V twin bikes (nice ones) has tried that,get ALL the parts from France.

VOXAN is dead now.......delivery and quality problems... shame.

My scrambler has japanese suspension,gearbox,clutch,carburettors,electrics and so on....

Who gives a damn,the thing rides fantastic!!

Greets from Holland

Arjen,

you're right mate.

But its got a true British SOUL :sidecar: :):):)

Casper