Transparent fuel hose and in-line filters

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Anyone know anything about using transparent fuel hose i.e. what it's made of, what grade to use etc? I've been toying with the idea of using it on my Bonneville if I can find any. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of it and/ or inline fuel filters, and whether you could recommend some.

All the best.

normandy

Street Tracker
Most inline fuel filters are made to have a fuel pump pressure the gas through and won't allow enough fuel to pass at WOT with a gravity feed system like the bonnie. The clear line is all we used in the day and is still used on small engines but it does yellow and gets brittle when old.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Most inline fuel filters are made to have a fuel pump pressure the gas through and won't allow enough fuel to pass at WOT with a gravity feed system like the bonnie. The clear line is all we used in the day and is still used on small engines but it does yellow and gets brittle when old.

Thanks for that normandy. I wondered how an inline filter would work without a fuel pump. As for the hose, I understand there are PVC and silicone hoses around. Any ideas what can and can't be used? I take it the old clear hose was PVC?

Cheers

DavidC

Rocker
I know I have seen inline filters for sale for new Triumphs - at one of the main vendors, maybe Hermy's Triumph? Met a guy who owned a new Scram and he said he put one on right behind where the hose leaves the petcock - didn't mention any problem with it.
Yeah, I had clear gas line on an old bike and it did get brittle. Was there when I bought it. Hell, for all I know, the guy may have taken it off a model airplane and stuck it on his bike! LOL

MOSES

750cc
I've always used PVC on my 4wheelers and mowers, they use silicone on RC cars and planes. Ive never used the silicone, it might work ?

REVOLT

Street Tracker
I'm not using a in-line filter...

but I am using Mooneyes 5/16" Ruby Red fuel line...
DSC05258.jpg

Added approximately 2-3rwhp...I have a Dyno as proof! :pick:

Stuff looks great once you do the AirBox removal and get rid of all the hoses and wires and crap...to carbs, two filters, and a ruby red fuel line!

Cheers!
MONDO

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
but I am using Mooneyes 5/16" Ruby Red fuel line...
DSC05258.jpg

Added approximately 2-3rwhp...I have a Dyno as proof! :pick:

Stuff looks great once you do the AirBox removal and get rid of all the hoses and wires and crap...to carbs, two filters, and a ruby red fuel line!

Cheers!
MONDO

I've seen your bike elsewhere Mondo - very nice. Love the flat paint also. So what's the theory behind increased horsepower with different fuel line? I'm intrigued...

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
I know I have seen inline filters for sale for new Triumphs - at one of the main vendors, maybe Hermy's Triumph? Met a guy who owned a new Scram and he said he put one on right behind where the hose leaves the petcock - didn't mention any problem with it.
Yeah, I had clear gas line on an old bike and it did get brittle. Was there when I bought it. Hell, for all I know, the guy may have taken it off a model airplane and stuck it on his bike! LOL

Thanks David. I'll have a look round. If you remember which site please let me know.

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Glad you asked...

I've seen your bike elsewhere Mondo - very nice. Love the flat paint also. So what's the theory behind increased horsepower with different fuel line? I'm intrigued...

Thank You for the compliment on my Bonnie...The RWHP gain goes back to the days of "Light Reaction Molecule Activation Enhancement Studies"< When allowing light (*Sunlight-Vitamin D, UV-A & B) to access the fuel from it's storage tank (In this case a Motorcycle Gas Tank), the suns light and all rays/colors of the spectrum work in a positive ion charge to activate hidden sources of energy (Known as SuperSolarFuel- increased combustion) stored in unburned fuel. Therefore, when introduced into the carbs and with air (also naturally exposed to the suns rays) it creates a higher burn rate (1,000 Kelvin), creating a bigger explosion in the combustion chambers (= 17,000 M80s) and therefore giving the Bonnie more Hp output. To minimize fuel consumption on long travels...I simply wrap the red fuel line with a used taco wrapper and a piece of bubble gum...:fight:

Cheers!
Mondo

koifarm

Hooligan
ditto on the yellowing of clear vynil lines...the red lines looked pretty nice, I have a similar piece in the barn but it's blue, I'll have to look next time i'm in the auto store to see if I can score some green to match the goodwood on mine.
I do like the stainless mesh covered lines or wrapped lines I see, that may be a possibility for you.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke

Great, thanks David!

Thank You for the compliment on my Bonnie...The RWHP gain goes back to the days of "Light Reaction Molecule Activation Enhancement Studies"< When allowing light (*Sunlight-Vitamin D, UV-A & B) to access the fuel from it's storage tank (In this case a Motorcycle Gas Tank), the suns light and all rays/colors of the spectrum work in a positive ion charge to activate hidden sources of energy (Known as SuperSolarFuel- increased combustion) stored in unburned fuel. Therefore, when introduced into the carbs and with air (also naturally exposed to the suns rays) it creates a higher burn rate (1,000 Kelvin), creating a bigger explosion in the combustion chambers (= 17,000 M80s) and therefore giving the Bonnie more Hp output. To minimize fuel consumption on long travels...I simply wrap the red fuel line with a used taco wrapper and a piece of bubble gum...:fight:

Cheers!
Mondo

I guess I asked for that one! Very creative though, especially the Vitamin D from sunlight hitting the gas.:snack:

drlapo

Hooligan
common vinyl tube will work but that blue stuff holds up realy well; it does discolor but does not harden, all the bike shops have it by the foot: less than $1
don't use vinyl hose from the brake reservoir as the glycol based brake fluid will "sweat" throught the line
small engine shops (garden tractor) have the small plastic in line fuel filters for $2 that will work on a non injected bike

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Clear Lines

Seems there is a lot of BS &comic shit here? I have used clear tubing in the past & it will deriorate (depending on composition) to yellow. The 1 thing to be considered NOW is that Ethanol MIGHT make it go south faster?
I will never forget an Austin 59 Mini I bought that had been sitting in a barn for? yrs. Had 19000 mi on the clock. Replaced all under the hood. Used clear fuel hose. Got the car to run but would die every so often. Gave me a real pain and I couldnt find out WHY? Was looking under the hood one night w/ a friend- mechanic & the engine was running. HAd a flashlight on the motor & lo& behold while watching a wasp came flowing up the CLEAR fuel line to the carb & dead! As the engine sat the wasp flowed back down. End of problem!
No moral to this - cept you can see what in in your hose, but be care ful of ethanol!! There are older cars on the road that will be self destructing due to it!! Remember the old "Gas-a -hol days?

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Here's the link to buy the hose...
https://www.mooneyesusa.com/Store/product_info.php?products_id=879
(I not sure where he got the taco wrapper and gum!)

af422.jpg

Sorry about that...I didn't see the question? Thanks ggRAT for posting that...That is the exact hose I bought. The taco wrapper and gum are usually on hand when I'm out riding...stopping by a local taco joint while I'm out is common practice, that's how I keep my girl-ish figure...and then gum is on hand to kill the funk from the 2 Carne Asada and 2 Carnitas tacos with extra chilis, onion and a heap of cheese:up:!!

Ole'!
MONDO