Trading the Bonnie for a Tiger

Deek

Scooter
Loved my Bonneville, but started itching for something different after a whopping 18 months. The Memphis Triumph dealer satisfied that itch with an offer on a 2012 Tiger 800 I simply could not refuse!:C

I've enjoyed my time here, and hope that others may have learned as much as I have about the new Bonnevilles.

PS - There will be some 2009 Bonnie used gear showing up in the For Sale section in a few days: Custom seat, windshield, Givi luggage rack, tank bags, stock shocks, highway pegs, handlebar risers, etc.

Ciao

Last edited:

henrys

Street Tracker
I just bought a tiger 1050.. but I kept my bonnie. I've really enjoyed riding it for the last week. However, when I got back on my bonnie it was like riding it for the first time again. I'm really glad I kept both bikes as I get different enjoyment out of each of them.

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
Right. I learned the first time I sold a Bonnie for another bike. I bought another one and keep it no matter what else I have at the time. The Bonnie makes me smile all the time every second I'm on it.

slobinski

Scooter
Bought my T100 new in '07, then, looking for some variety, added a DL650 two years later. Traded the DL in on a new Tiger 800 Roadie, which I really enjoy. The Bonneville is a keeper, though. It will pull away from a stop at just above idle, while the Tiger with its more sport bike-inspired engine and tall first gear requires a handful of throttle. The dramatic differences between these two bikes is why I sometimes ride them back-to-back on the same local roads, grinning like an idiot. Fun! That's what it's about.

Sinkers

Scooter
I traded my Tiger 1050 for the 2012 Steve McQueen SE Bonneville. My son was born in February so you could say I was waiting for 2 babies to arrive. The Bonnie arrived in July. I put my son up on the saddle and said "some day this will be yours". He smiled from ear to ear then started licking the tank.

I would love to have been able to keep my Tiger 1050 as it is an awesome machine and a great mile muncher which frankly the bonnie isn't. The bonnie is in a different class and I can see why people love them so much. I just enjoy riding it around town while people crane their necks and walk into lamp posts trying to get a look at it.

The bonnie is a definate keeper.

Number 549.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I put my son up on the saddle and said "some day this will be yours".

Number 549.

I know exactly what you mean...:up:

IMG_0268_zps2fbc4e49.jpg

IMG_1042_zps303b3f21.jpg

KC1961

moped
Test rode an 800xc last week. Very impressed. Minor gripes, a bit slow steering & not particularly strong below 4k. However I now have a problem to which there doesn't seem to be an easy solution. i.e. I want one, I want to keep my existing bikes, I don't want to have any more bikes lying around. What to do? I'll keep thinking about it over the winter.

Why?

Why would anyone want to get rid of the most motorcycle looking, riding motorcycle in existance:confused:???? All the new bikes look like a mad alien bug from hell.:bug:. Sure they may be faster than a Bonnie, but they don't go fast enough to get away from the UGH factor:eeek:. Only Bonnevilles and the H-D sportsters look like motorcycles to this old fart:w. ALAS, TO EACH HIS OWN, I guess.

neuroboy

750cc
Never sell something you love. I still think about my 72' E-Type convertible.

Oh man, rough! An E-type might trump all others for wish I hadn't sold. The best i can muster is a 70's silver-face Fender Deluxe Reverb amp.

I just bought a tiger 1050.. but I kept my bonnie. I've really enjoyed riding it for the last week. However, when I got back on my bonnie it was like riding it for the first time again.

I switched Bonnie for a Street Triple for a year (until it was stolen). I went back to a Thruxton and it really *is* like having it for the first time. . . just with less fear because that Bonnie was my first bike.

Last edited:

j.mac

Scooter
tiger 800 for scrambler

Hi there I sold my scrambler for a 800 tiger 4 months ago. I think the tiger is a good all round bike and very easy to ride, BUT I do miss my scrambler. I rode it all last winter, and after covering it in ACF 50 there was not a mark on it with all the salt. I will have to see how the tiger goes through the winter. I had the single seat on it thought it looked really good. :mad2:

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I traded my Tiger 1050 for the 2012 Steve McQueen SE Bonneville. My son was born in February so you could say I was waiting for 2 babies to arrive. The Bonnie arrived in July. I put my son up on the saddle and said "some day this will be yours". He smiled from ear to ear then started licking the tank.

I would love to have been able to keep my Tiger 1050 as it is an awesome machine and a great mile muncher which frankly the bonnie isn't. The bonnie is in a different class and I can see why people love them so much. I just enjoy riding it around town while people crane their necks and walk into lamp posts trying to get a look at it.

The kid must be a definite Bonnie rider because I know after a big ride i have always got a smile from ear to ear and I just cannot help myself from licking the tank..........that's normal isn't it???????