Track Day advise

wolfie

Two Stroke
Anyone here ever done a track day?

Any advice?

I'm thinking of taking the Bonnie out for a go.

Tritech

Scooter
Hey Wolfie
Make sure you have good rubber and brakes. Remove rear fender assy. Four screws and unplug the wiring. Take off mirrors. Unplug headlamp and tape up the lens. Don't try to win anything. Ride your own pace. The first couple of sessions will be pretty nerve racking. Try to relax. As the day goes on and you have learned the track your pace will pickup. You will surprise yourself that you are using more tire than you ever have on the street. You will have a great time!
Where are you going to do the track day at?

wolfie

Two Stroke
Thanks for the advise. If I go, it will likely be at Heartland Park Topeka, as it is the nearest to me.

They offer a riding class for $250, or a track day for $165.

Rocker

Two Stroke
Thanks for the advise. If I go, it will likely be at Heartland Park Topeka, as it is the nearest to me.

They offer a riding class for $250, or a track day for $165.

Having been involved with race schools and track days for a fair number of years I'd offer the following advise.
It would make more sense if it's your first time at the venue to take the school. There will be instructors there that are familiar with the lines, braking points etc and you will get more out of your day with less chance of an "incident". Nobody will expect you to be Rossi and you can progress at your own pace.
Then, next time they have a track day you are all ready to go.
There will probably be pre-event literature to let you know what is expected in the way of bike prep, gear etc. Oh, and you will burn far more gas than you expect.
And have fun..

wolfie

Two Stroke
Having been involved with race schools and track days for a fair number of years I'd offer the following advise.
It would make more sense if it's your first time at the venue to take the school. There will be instructors there that are familiar with the lines, braking points etc and you will get more out of your day with less chance of an "incident". Nobody will expect you to be Rossi and you can progress at your own pace.
Then, next time they have a track day you are all ready to go.
There will probably be pre-event literature to let you know what is expected in the way of bike prep, gear etc. Oh, and you will burn far more gas than you expect.
And have fun..

Thanks. That's the kind of advise I'm seeking. I wasn't sure whether to do the class or not. Thanks for the nudge.

Any more?

mrt202

Street Tracker
Practical race advice i've overheard:
1: Go really fast.
2: If something gets in your way... turn.
3: Keep the rubber side down.
4: Wax on...wax off. Uh, I mean use the force. No, wait, maybe it was bob left, weave right...
Aww screw it! Just go out there and have fun!:ride:

JEnfield

Street Tracker
Here is what I got from my track day if you feel unsafe then your not ready to go that fast . Take your time follow instruction thats what your paying for and have a really good time. Everyone makes mistakes and if you dont think your a road racer they are just big enough for you to feel the seat foam sucking into the crack of your ass with out the slam bang of your bike hitting the tarmac. Your bike can be riden harder then you think but think before you ride it that hard . When you hear the voice in your head scream stick please stick you might want to invest in a race bike for track days. The dude you need to talk to is TonUp on hear he goes to every track day they have in the New England area and can ride the rubber off of the rims and yes wheelies like a pro but he is honest about riding and will steer you straight.

Jimmy

D9

Vendor
Wolfie,

Did my first track day last year after having observed several
MCRA events at Gateway international...

http://www.mcraracing.com/

There were several sessions of classroom instruction, and once on the track the guys running the show knew what they were doing and kept everything on pace, organized & under control. The day was a blast... truth is, if I could
do track days only I'd probably give up street riding - may just go that
route eventually. For me, it's a whole lot more fun, and the need not to have to worry about SUV's... deer... wooden pallets in the roadway, gravel, etc and to be able to just concentrate
on your lines, to enjoy and learn more and more about handling the bike - is pretty damn wonderful. When not riding, just watching what the fast guys are doing is educational, and getting out there and running some laps
yourself will not only improve your skills, it'll give you a whole new appreciation for the guys who go fast & make it look easy...

Here's some pics from last October...

I'm on the blue & white T100, Loxpump is on the burgundy & silver Bonneville, Tritech is on
the yellow thrux (& giving the sportbikes fits) a faster-than-fast guy on a 675 is leaned way over...and some guy on a cool little honda 50 road racer... a fun day, huge turnout... the only bummer was getting lapped by the guy on the little Honda 50, followed by a jogger pushing a stroller... but hey, I'll be faster next time! :D

next MCRA Track day May of '09, I'll be there!

Tritech1.jpg

LP6.jpg

seth2.jpg

Pete_Triumph675_1.jpg

Honda50racer1.jpg

300_195979.jpg

Last edited:

wolfie

Two Stroke
D9, those pics are great! Let me know if plan on going out there again. I might be interested in joining you. Is that out in St Louis? How much was the charge?

D9

Vendor
D9, those pics are great! Let me know if plan on going out there again. I might be interested in joining you. Is that out in St Louis? How much was the charge?

Wolfie -

Gateway Int'l is less than ten minutes from downtown St. Louis. Check out the MCRA website I linked earlier - I believe the 2009 schedule is up! In our beginner class, we got two 15 minute sessions for around $40.00 (cost included the classroom time & lunch as well).
In the more advanced classes, I believe the cost was around $120 for five
or six sessions, or however many they can fit in the day. The MCRA website probably has all the details... several of us plan on being on the track with MCRA in May and beyond... be great to see you there.

http://www.mcraracing.com/track.htm

2009 MCRA track day schedule http://www.mcraracing.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3946

MCRA Track day Rules http://www.mcraracing.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2642

Track Day Q and A http://www.mcraracing.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=850486bb5885955b6aeda0b81dacbf87

Last edited:

nwraindevil

Two Stroke
I went to track day here in Portland, OR last year and it was our local dealer that put it on. The cost was free! REVOLT, BBR, NSALMERON, OREGONTHRUXTON, RODBURNER and more where all there. We got to do 3 or 4 laps, I am not sure. Man what a blast! We had pace setters, one in the front and one in the middle of the pack. I was about 1/4 of the way back from the front. When we got the green light it took about 5 seconds and I could not see the front pace setter anymore. I came into the first corner way to fast and got the rear end wobbles as I was down shifting and braking. I leaned into the turn and my muscles felt tight. The second turn came quick, it felt like I was froze for a second, it felt like I was not going to be able to get the bike to lean the other way, I thought I was going to ride striaght out into the grass but I manged to get into the next turn. After that I felt myself relax. You go into a couple more pretty tight turns then it opens into a long snake like stretch that allows you to get it back up to about a TON, then back into a couple of medium turns that bring back to the front straightaway. I think alot of my problem going into the first set was my tires where not Hot yet so the sticky wasn't there. It was my first time ever on a track, the first time I had gone 110 mph and it was the funnest time I have had on my bike ever. I probably should have had a class first but no one went down and I will go back this year and take it easier going into the first couple of turns. Remember your bike is not a sport bike. Your bike and you will NOT be able to perform like the guys you see on TV. Work your way up from comfortable to comfortably excited! Have fun you will love it.