TOR pipes popping

nzkiwi

Scooter
I'm interested n what other people's have experienced. I have a 2011 Bonneville SE. Several weeks ago I had TOR's fitted and remapped by the local Triumph dealer. A week later I resealed the exhaust to the muffler in case that was causing the popping with no change. The sound of the TOR's is great, but on the de-acceleration between 3,000 and 2,700 rpm I get a lot of popping. Virtually none above and none below that rev range. Can you tell me if this is normal for TOR's?

KingBear

Hooligan
I had the exact same experience with my '06 carb model, installed TORs last year and had a lot of popping. So last week as the weather improved and I started prepping my bike for the season I went ahead and removed the AI system. I would have done it long ago but my bike has been so efficient and reliable I was reluctant to make any changes. Anyway, lost the AI and popping is immediately and completely gone. Don't know if it would be any different for an FI model, but in this case it is probably the right answer.

LoVel

Two Stroke
My Scrambler is a 2010 with the TORs installed, remapped and AI still on bike. The popping is normal. Learn to love it or remove the AI. I am learning to love it while the bike is under warranty.

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
It just means you're running a little lean. That can be corrected by adjusting the mapping, or by removing the AI. Someone here will eventually chime in about how too lean means too hot and you could melt your piston face, but the general consensus seems to be that a "little" lean isn't going to hurt much.

That said, don't be surprised if you notice your headers glowing after a few minutes idling on a warm bike.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Had my TORs for a while and there's poppong and I have the AI removed. I live at altitude so it's lean up here all the time.

whyme

TT Racer
I have TORS, No AI, K&Ns and re-jetted and mine always pops. I also think mine runs rich. I get that fuel smell at stop lights.

Demar

Two Stroke
I bought my 2010 T100 in June of 2011. I had Predators installed at the dealer before I took it home. By October I had removed the AI to resolve the popping on decel. The only difference I noticed is on restarting after the bike has been run and off for about 30 minutes. I need to start it with the choke out at that point. Upon first start it's fine with no choke. If I restart within 10 minutes, as in after a fuel stop, it starts without choke, but, if it sits more than 10 minutes it reacts like it's flooded unless the choke is out. As soon as it starts I can close the choke and it's fine.

I like the bike much better without the AI. My throttle response is much smoother after removing the AI.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Whyme- Your lean at low throttle openings. If there's an EFI equivalent of backing off slightly on the screws, that's what you need to do.

Demar- Your rough start with no choke is also compatible with lean.

Maybe you both need better maps.

I'm glad I have carbs!!!

Demar

Two Stroke
Demar- Your rough start with no choke is also compatible with lean.

Maybe you both need better maps.

I'm glad I have carbs!!!

Maybe.... it seems like it may be a vacuum thing as it's only a problem after it cools from warm. If it cools long enough it's ok. I didn't change my map after removing the AI other than disabling the AI sensor.

KingBear

Hooligan
Okay, paying closer attention I do still have a little popping, nothing like what I had with the AI in place and barely noticable. But I also haven't done a bit of tuning, I switched out the jets when I installed the TORs and I made a effort to balance my carbs, but I have never turned a screw on the carbs themselves, don't even know where to start. I need to read up on it and just do it.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Barry- This is super easy. As soon as this dumb muscle spasm in my neck calms down, I could ride over (with D tool in hand) and show you. Maybe Friday?

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
I like the bike much better without the AI. My throttle response is much smoother after removing the AI.

'AI' stands for air injection, and that air is injected into the exhaust port to burn excess fuel IN THE EXHAUST HEADER. AI has nothing whatsoever to do with how the bike runs, the throttle response, or anything else relevant to performance. It is strictly an emission control system. Removing it should eliminate 'popping' on decel, and certainly did that for me.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
...I live at altitude so it's lean up here all the time...

For the same amount of fuel, being at altitude makes you rich, not lean - lean is excess air for the fuel. Doesn't mean you aren't running lean, but you can fix that with the carb mixture screws and stay in CO. :)

MikeJackmin

Scooter
I have not done it myself, but I have read that it is easy to put a marble in the AI air tube to effectively disable it. The mod is just as easy to reverse, so you can experiment first and see if it fixes your problem.

If the marble fixes your problem, you can just leave it there. Actually removing the AI system will make the bike look nicer, but it won't perform any differently than a disabled system that is left in place.