Tires

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
What controversy? You found tires you like that last you long time!! Nice! Which ones did you get?

tv guy

Scooter
I have not tried them on the Bonnie yet, how do they do in the rain? Can you compare them to the stock Metzlers? Pirellis?

(I do use them on my DR cheapest tires I've bought in years, I paid $32 for a front 244!)

Kiwi

Two Stroke
I don't think anyone's mentioned BT45's yet ...

I got 12839km from the stock Metzelers that came with the bike, but I never liked them. I had grip issues with them in the dry and worse in the wet. I replaced them with Bridgestone BT45's which I've found to have much better grip in the dry and wet, although they wear faster which I expected. I got 8700km from the rear before I replaced it, and I still have the same front on with 9200km currently on it, and looking like it has plenty of life left in it yet.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I have Shinko 705's and like them alright for the price. They have traction and they wear, like a tire does.

LoVel

Two Stroke
Good friend of mine had his Shinko blow out the sidewall when he hit a small bump exiting the interstate. He ordered new Bridgestones that day.

Eggman66

Scooter
I'm a bit confused as most here are stating the original stockers were Metzelers. I have a 2003 T100 & it came with the BT45's I replaced them at 8,500 miles. The rear was worn fairly smooth. The front had some miles left on it but I decided to replace the set. I've been happy with their performance & cost was not outrageous.

I may give the Dunlop Arrowmax 501s a try since I like the thread pattern on them (I know...I'm vain). I only found out about them when I bought a spare set of wheels for my Ninja 250 race bike and it came with them.

Anways, after the stock Metzelers were done I have been using the Avon Roadrider AM26s and love them. I definately noticed the "thread squirm" that many people felt and talked about but now it doesnt bother me since I have been riding track and racing since 2008 and feeling wiggles is common.

I did install a TEC steering damper a year ago and it has pretty much removed any thread squirm .

normandy

Street Tracker
I have always been happy with the stock Metzlers, on my 3rd set at 47,000 K's.

I probably should have stated that I have an 05 speedmaster, the metzlers are ME880 rear and a lasertech front. The bonny tires are likely a different size and may not offer the same results ?

LoVel

Two Stroke
I'm a bit confused as most here are stating the original stockers were Metzelers. I have a 2003 T100 & it came with the BT45's I replaced them at 8,500 miles. The rear was worn fairly smooth. The front had some miles left on it but I decided to replace the set. I've been happy with their performance & cost was not outrageous.

BT 45s are stock on a lot of Bonnevilles.

Budd

moped
So I plan on buying some Avon AM26 Roadriders. Thank you all for your posts. Many people commented on the Avons, one person mentioned riding style. The reality is that I have no riding style as yet, imagine I will be "dogging" it for some time. Not a risk taker at my age. In my younger days I backcountry skied, looked for steep and deep, it bit me spent months recovering from injuries from an avalanche.
So the next question is, tubes and strips? any ideas on tubes.