tires

rmiles

Scooter
Need some feed back on Avon RoadRiders as replacments for the Metzelers. More sport than tour? How do they wear?

IMO they wear about the same, but offer much better grip than the OEMs. Ive pushed my limits of the bike before even hitting the limits on the streets. My next test eventually will be on the track with these things.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I am not a fan of my roadriders. They feel good at lower speeds in the twisties but the bike gets squirrely on the highway when I hit 80+ mph. Seems to be a trade off that I don't care for. I am going back to Metzelers once I run through my Avons.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Another tire that suits the Bonnie well and offers good grip is the Dunlop GT501

I'm a die hard fan of GT501s - been riding on them since '02. They stick like glue, the aggressive tread patern 'looks' good, and the 150 in the back really fills out the area under the fender. I have found that I don't get a tremendous amount of mileage out of a GT501, but for me, the tradeoff in the way they stick in the corners is worth the cost of admission.

Bonnie15070-17DunlopGT5013-1.jpg

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I am not a fan of my roadriders. They feel good at lower speeds in the twisties but the bike gets squirrely on the highway when I hit 80+ mph. Seems to be a trade off that I don't care for. I am going back to Metzelers once I run through my Avons.

+1 , its a trade off. Really nice feel but they lighten up the steering A LOT. In my case I had the rear end raised to quicken the steering and the bike didn't have enough stability.Started with a high speed wobble.. I had to go back to the stock shocks. Now I have had them for 6 months, and I really like the low to mid speed feel but the top end is just a little too light for me.

loxpump

Rocker
I've had Roadriders for over a year now and for the price I think they're hard to beat. Also have done 6 track days running them up to the side wall with no problems, once they were warmed up, even on the straight stretch where I'm pushing the ton.

tire1.jpg

bonZa

Street Tracker
I have done over 22,000 kilometers on my Avon roadriders

the front still has about 50% tread. the rear is almost bald

depends what type of Metzlers you are comparing them to, but my bike came with a mez2 on the rear that was as squirrily as hell especially when crossing road lines running in the same direction as your travel and a lazertek up front. they were both worn out at 18,000 kilometers
I think the lasertek is a good handling tyre but wears out quick

I reckon the Avons are much better with wear and handling. I dont ride like a maniac, but do poke it along with a fair bit of spirit along country roads

will be replacing the rear next week with an Avon

rmiles

Scooter
I have done over 22,000 kilometers on my Avon roadriders

the front still has about 50% tread. the rear is almost bald

depends what type of Metzlers you are comparing them to, but my bike came with a mez2 on the rear that was as squirrily as hell especially when crossing road lines running in the same direction as your travel and a lazertek up front. they were both worn out at 18,000 kilometers
I think the lasertek is a good handling tyre but wears out quick

I reckon the Avons are much better with wear and handling. I dont ride like a maniac, but do poke it along with a fair bit of spirit along country roads

will be replacing the rear next week with an Avon

My bike has Lasertec,front and back,with on 8500 miles back tire is about gone. Any votes on Bridgstone Battlax?

rdt303

Scooter
I have a 2010 T100 with 2500 miles on the original Metzlers and I had to replace the tires a couple of weeks ago because of severe sidewall cracking in the Metzlers. Apparently a real problem for Metzler tires made in Brazil in 2008.

Anyway, after some thread exchanges and research, I went with the Avon Roadriders. The much improved positive change in road feel and stickiness over the Metzlers was immediately noticeable. In fact, I am significantly happier with the overall ride and handling. I have not had them on the highway yet, so can't speak to the comments about >75mph. However, slow and medium ride is a huge improvement.:cheer:

Here is the link to the Metzler defect thread: http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7411

Last edited:
Pirelli Scorpion Trails for me. I went to 110 front and 140 rear to get the radials. Love 'em and so far have 10,000 miles and reckon to get another 1500 before they're shot.

Cheers,

Pikey.

tribear

Street Tracker
Wow Pikey!
That's a bunch of miles out of a pair. I'll seriously consider those next time!
Thanks.

ivar

TT Racer
I'm a die hard fan of GT501s - been riding on them since '02. They stick like glue, the aggressive tread patern 'looks' good, and the 150 in the back really fills out the area under the fender. I have found that I don't get a tremendous amount of mileage out of a GT501, but for me, the tradeoff in the way they stick in the corners is worth the cost of admission.

Bonnie15070-17DunlopGT5013-1.jpg

Not sure of the exact mileage I got out of mine, 5-6K on the rear tire I think. The front maybe 8-9k. I also think they retained most of their good properties after getting well worn, front tire cupping and rear tire worn square.
But then, we got some pretty abrasive asphalt here in Norway.

Before them I had BT45's. Never tested them to their limits, but especially the front felt very squirrely. Not going to use BT45's again.

Now running Metz Tourances - they stick pretty good too but lack the surefootedness I felt with the GT501's. They also seem to hold up well, not much cupping and the rear is still round :)

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
I must have got a bad front with the Avon, out of round and horrible at all speeds, put my old lasertec on, (that had been sitting in the back yard for a year) the other day just for a comparison, way better. The Avon is awful crossing centre lines and is flighty as hell at 75 plus. Mileage is pretty good, actually too good, I can't wait to get rid of em but they just won't wear out :chair: Considering the Dunlops or Pirellis next up. Also will be going back to the stock 130 rear, the 150 out back hasn't helped I'm sure

Pirelli Scorpion Trails for me. I went to 110 front and 140 rear to get the radials. Love 'em and so far have 10,000 miles and reckon to get another 1500 before they're shot.

Cheers,
Pikey.
bikey:
Are you running radials on a spoked wheel and using a radial tire tube? I have spoke wheels, have been considering going that route, and was wondering if that was the setup you have. Thanks.

MattyMo

moped
didn't see any mention of Continentals. I recently replaced the Metz on the Bonneville with ContiGo multi-compounds front and rear. don't have anything else to compare them to but they do feel better than OEM. Not a world better, but better.

bikey:
Are you running radials on a spoked wheel and using a radial tire tube? I have spoke wheels, have been considering going that route, and was wondering if that was the setup you have. Thanks.

I'm using whatever the stock tubes are and TBH, I didn't know that there were such a thing as "radial" tubes. The tyres are tubeless but no worries with running them on the spoked wheels with tubes and I've just ordered another set of Scorpion Trails as I think they are awesome.

Tribear - yep, hard to believe 10k miles but they come with a really deep tread to start with. I'm over to the edges on front & rear but am not a really aggressive rider with tyre-spinning takeoffs e.t.c which may be why I got great mileage from the set. I also run a 19T front sprocket which takes the edge of acceleration in lower gears.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I'm using whatever the stock tubes are and TBH, I didn't know that there were such a thing as "radial" tubes. The tyres are tubeless but no worries with running them on the spoked wheels with tubes and I've just ordered another set of Scorpion Trails as I think they are awesome.

Pikey.
Yep. There is a radial tube for motorcycles having spoked wheels and using a tube. One example below. Not sure if one is needed or not.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/77/30711/ITEM/Bridgestone-Radial-Tire-Tube.aspx?WT.MC_ID=54006&SiteId=10557879-1609763-tfc_-_15_27_101218_387c3c6028478aebd8dbcd8b91df6507%3A0000