tires

Shorty

Two Stroke
drlapo...you might want to check availability. The AM20/21 series has been discontinued except for a few sizes. I purchased a set of Avon AM26 roadriders (which replaced the AM20/21) for under $200 for my Bonnie and upped the rear tire to a 140 in the process. I don't know what your T140 requires.
Bought them through www.shadetreepowersports.com and had them in my hand in 3-days from order via UPS.
For a read on the AM26's check http://partsmag.com/0610/avon-0610/Avon-0610.html

Shorty

drlapo

Hooligan
its hard to find the AM20/21 in my sizes so I just bought the AM26
90/90 19 + 100/90 18 + new tubes + freight= $170

drlapo

Hooligan
I bought them from American Motorcycle Tire
each tire was $10-$12 less than everyone else and they charged me $20 for shipping so it all works out and they had the sizes I needed for my T140

drlapo

Hooligan
got the Avons in and they look good
I checked their website and they recommend the Roadriders, AM26 for the Bonne and Thruxton too
i'm going to put them on the t140 this weekend and will consider them for my Thruxton in another couple of thousand miles
hell at $75 a tire they're a bargain who needs the latest supersports tire on a 60 hp retro bike?

drlapo

Hooligan
put them on Friday night
rode it all day Saturday
much better than the old Continentals I had on it
the old front tire was ribbed and the AM26 pattern seems to have calmed the front end down a bit much, more steady yet a bit lighter steering in the turns: less turn in
rear end stable, not sure of traction on turns yet as I need to wear off the chicken strips slowly
the T140 has a rim lock on the rear wheel and 50hp; neither my Thruxton nor Speed Triple have rims locks???

DavidC

Rocker
put them on Friday night
rode it all day Saturday
much better than the old Continentals I had on it
the old front tire was ribbed and the AM26 pattern seems to have calmed the front end down a bit much, more steady yet a bit lighter steering in the turns: less turn in
rear end stable, not sure of traction on turns yet as I need to wear off the chicken strips slowly
the T140 has a rim lock on the rear wheel and 50hp; neither my Thruxton nor Speed Triple have rims locks???

Had rim locks on my '72 and '77 Triumph. PITA! [ugly too]

jb's Bonne

Two Stroke
so my back tire is completely bald, I guess I need a new tire. Do I want Avon AV45/AV46 AZARO-ST 140/80($124.10) or Pirelli SPORT DEMON ($117.47) or the Metzeler ME880 ($140.58 )? the pirelli is the cheapest, but won't last as long, the Avon is a great looking tire, and the Metzeler cost more but get great mileage. What do you guys think?

DavidC

Rocker
so my back tire is completely bald, I guess I need a new tire. Do I want Avon AV45/AV46 AZARO-ST 140/80($124.10) or Pirelli SPORT DEMON ($117.47) or the Metzeler ME880 ($140.58 )? the pirelli is the cheapest, but won't last as long, the Avon is a great looking tire, and the Metzeler cost more but get great mileage. What do you guys think?

I'd go for the tire that will give the most miles.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Pirelli Scorpion Sync

Another option, IF you want a wider rear tire, are the Pirelli Scorpion Syncs.
This tire is available in the combination I like, 110/80R-19 and 180/55ZR-17
I'm on my second rear tire and love 'em.

Here's the Pirelli Scorpion Sync link

Attached is the Pirelli tire usage chart. The 180 rear weighs 12.25 lbs., 110 front weighs 11.32 lbs.

Attachments

• Pirelli Usage Chart.jpg
    Pirelli Usage Chart.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
I am very impressed with the AVON AM26 but i would not go bigger than the std tire
but I like "flickable" bikes and you may like the heavier handling the bigger rear tire will give you, it will make the bike understeer and more effort will be needed to make it turn

ggRAT

Street Tracker
I am very impressed with the AVON AM26 but i would not go bigger than the std tire, but I like "flickable" bikes and you may like the heavier handling the bigger rear tire will give you, it will make the bike understeer and more effort will be needed to make it turn

"Dr," you may be right, but I suspect that the overall affect on handling is minimal. Applying a good stiff punch of countersteering is fun! Now a 240 rear, that IS purely for show. Someday I'll ride my bike, back-to-back with two different rear tires and then I might buy into this "ongoing" debate. :)

Switching to a wider tire will not increase the area of the contact patch, so there is no additional rubber on the road. The wider tire will, however, have a contact patch that is shorter front to rear and wider side to side, which increases cornering grip.

Attachments

• Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Shorty

Two Stroke
I went up one size to 140 in the rear on the Avon AM26's and I really can't tell the difference. I think the biggest change I got in the ride that made a difference was replacing the stock rear shocks with Progressive Suspension 412 series shocks.

Shorty

cynr1023

TT Racer
I've got the Metzler Lasertec in stock size an have never had issues with handling or mileage, shit i got close to 11,000 out of the last one