Tire size and handling dynamics

Lucid

Scooter
Well after 11k on the stock Metzlers, I find myself in need of some new rubber. I'm not sure which tire I'm going to get yet, but, I have a question about sizing.

I'm thinking of going to a 140 on the rear, but, don't want to negatively affect handling. If fact, I'd like the bike to actually handle a tad quicker in the twisties. Therefore, would it make sense to go w/ a 140/80 and a 110/80 on the front to put more weight toward the front of the bike? Any thought or past experiences would be appreciated.

And not to turn this into a "what is the best tire" thread (beaten to death and highly subjective), but, I'm currently considering the Sport Demons (would be my first choice, but concerned about durability), Avon AM26 Roadriders, and have read some good reviews about the Conti Road Attacks (in my research it seems the narrowest rear is 150, which I think is wider than I'd like to go).

BTW- I was never in love w/ the Metz, which is why I'm considering a change.

Last edited:

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Tires

I put the 140 on my Bonne & never looked back!! The look & handling are greatly improved! I cant see the need to bigger? The 140 works rite on!!

140/90 ?

I have also thought about a 140/90 rear but I can't find one in 17 inch dia. Only in 16 inch dia.

Have you found a 140/90?? I am about ready for a new rear tire and will probably go with a 140/80

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
PS

Not to do a major tire thread- I did the 140 in the Battalax. When that one & the ft go south, I will probably go Pirrelli. The 140 made a positive affect!! Looks & handling! All I know have gone 140 on the RR w/ totally positive results! Cant figure WHY thet didnt go that route when new? O well??

Shorty

Two Stroke
I replaced both tires a few months back with Avon Roadriders. This fairly new model tire replaced the Supervenom and HKM AM series. I increased the rear to 140's and have noticed no issues with the ride. These tires handle and stick really well. They also didn't break the bank, under $200 for both. Here's and interesting read. http://www.partsmag.com/0610/avon-0610/Avon-0610.html

Shorty

Lucid

Scooter
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go through the Dennis Kirk site to purchase. Any experience w/ them? Or any positive experiences w/ other companies?

MES

750cc
I have Avon roadriders and I have to say that I will not get them agian.
They stick just fine and will go rail to rail well but they hiunt the gooves something fierce.
I picked up a nice little head shake when I swithed to them.
Nothing to worry about. 45-60mph hands off on the slabs and the bars go all twitchy. With my hands on and a little power then all is good. They stick well but they don't really inspire confidence. It's more like you ride through it and know they will stick.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
As per the original poster's request, I won't get started raving about how much I love my Michelin Anakees.

However, I went to 110/98 up front and 140/80 in back, and because I also switched brands (started with the stockers), it's hard to know how much of the difference is the tread and how much is the aspect. But I can tell ya that my Bonnie don't hunt no more in the grooves, feels more solidly planted all the time, and leans nice and easy.

uzidzit

Two Stroke
sport demons

in the stock size, will go as far as the rest of the bike can force it, even raised at the rear, at the track.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Does anyone have any pics of stock size tires against an upsized pair? I too am looking at some new treads, and am now wondering about the size, at least on the rear.

slowgator

750cc
Likewise

Does anyone have any pics of stock size tires against an upsized pair? I too am looking at some new treads, and am now wondering about the size, at least on the rear.

Just turned over 7K on the stock Metzelers, and while I see no wear bars showing, the tread is getting a bit thin in the middle on the rear. Front looks good to go for a few more miles. Also be interested in any pics comparing stock to 140 in the rear.

Also, I could find no indication on the sidewall of the tread wear indicators. The Haynes manual says they are usually indicated on the sidewall by an arrow, triangle or letters "TWI". Any ideas?

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
140 Rear

I found it doesn t follow grooves. The look & handling are much improved!!
My garage mate just replaced his RR tire w/ the stock 130. I will tryto get some pics of mine & his SXS. I cant post them here- never could! But when I get them- I will give ya my e mail & send if you want. Most Bonne owners I know have gone the 140 route & loved it!!

jb's Bonne

Two Stroke
what do you guy think about this tire Avon AV46 Azaro-ST. I am debating between that and the Metzeler ME880 both are 140/80

thanks

Lucid

Scooter
New tires installed

Well I got the Avon AM26 RoadRiders. 140/80 and 100/90. The 140 really looks great, as it fills the fender area nicely. I still have to scrub them in, but, if the ride home last night was any indication, I think I'm really going to like these. The handling over my well worn Metzlers was greatly improved. I didn't realize how bad the handling had gotten with the old tires. The turn-in difference was like night and day, and the bike felt much more intuitive.

I also had EBC brake pads installed front and back, and had the 12k service done. My mechanic mentioned how good everything looked. No wear issues, carbs close to dead-on synch, valves just very slightly tight. Had him put in Repsol 10-50 and K&N filter.

She ran beautifully on the way home, and should be good to go till this winter.

innominate

Street Tracker
i just had to replace my stock tires. if i didn't commute 40 miles i would've tried the sport demons. i went with the avon roadriders in stock size. i've put a little over 1k on them and i'm very happy with them. got caught in a downpour on the highway and they handled it well. and they performed well on our trip this past weekend where 15-30 mph curve signs were all along the route. encountered gravel in a couple curves and had a ~8 mile stretch on dirt and they never made me nervous.

i've been riding less than a year so i don't have the experience for a real review. and i'm not aggressive in the twisty stuff yet either. but to me they feel better than the metzelers and cost alot less.

i ordered from motorcycleproshop.com. their site says they'll beat anyone's price. and i ordered by phone on monday afternoon. they said the warehouse in tx had the tires in stock. i got the tires wed afternoon.

Lucid

Scooter
if i didn't commute 40 miles i would've tried the sport demons.

i ordered from motorcycleproshop.com. their site says they'll beat anyone's price. and i ordered by phone on monday afternoon. they said the warehouse in tx had the tires in stock. i got the tires wed afternoon.

Same here, my commute is 30 miles one way, or it would have been Sport Demons for me also. Had a set of Pirelli Scorpions on my KTM 950 Adv. and loved them.

I paid $114 for the "slightly oversized" rear and $78 for the front, from my local bike shop.

FYI- For you folks who care about such things....I asked my mech. about adjusting the forks about 10-15mm to offset the larger rear tire and he was against doing that. He said that changing the rake could cause "head-shake" and really the risk outweighted the benefit. This guy has a ton of experience both wrenching and riding (he has raced in the Baja 1000) and numerous other "off-road" racing, so I took his advice and kept the forks status quo.

Last edited:

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
140's

The only thing I noticed - besides the better looks & handling was it sits a little further to the left on the side stand. Almost had a mishap when I brought her home! I put the stand down & got off.I didnt feel the normal drag when setting the stand & assumed it was all the way down.It wasnt!! Thank god for plywood walls!! Got pinned but no damage cept a bent HL visor- which straitened out nicely. The 140 looks SO much better!! Dont know why they didnt do it STD?? Oh handling too.