Tire Replacement on 06 Scrambler

OK, I'm 1st month into 2006 Scrambler ownership, 300 miles on stock tires (3,300 miles on tires total) and they suck. A couple questions for some direction -

1. Metzler Tourances seem to be favored replacement - Are these the "radials" using Metzler tubes?

2. Anybody tried the Dunlop Dual Sport D607? If so, what's the verdict? (REASON I ASK ABOUT DUNLOPS IS THAT MY LOCAL BIKE SHOP HAS "SPECIAL" ON DUNLOPS and I'm curious on input.

3. What if I just end the pretense of any real off-road use and switch to a regular street tire - what are the brand/model suggestions for a bike that will be used on pavement 99% of the time/1% on the gravel road that leads to my house a mile off the pavement?

Any help/suggestions appreciated. Love the scrambler, hate the noisy vibrating tires.

Bought a 1995 Trident in May 1995 (still have it). Bought a 2001 Sprint ST and sold it to get the scrambler (Sprint was just too big/heavy, never felt comfortable on it). Scrambler is what a motorcycle should be, very nimble compared to the Sprint.

Bill
Lexington, Mich

Last edited:

tribear

Street Tracker
+1 on the Conti's. I've heard the Dunlop 607's are good, sticky tires but won't last nearly as long as others. I have both the tourances and trail attacks on two different bikes. Pretty comparable but if I HAD to choose I'd put the money into the tourances.

the Deathwings howled too loudly and felt squiggly in the rain from day one.... i switched to Michelin Anakees and it was a huge improvement, but Metzler Tourances are the best by far and are the only shoes she'll ever wear.... they perform great and keep the cool enduro look....

Deano

Two Stroke
OK, I'm 1st month into 2006 Scrambler ownership, 300 miles on stock tires (3,300 miles on tires total) and they suck. A couple questions for some direction -

1. Metzler Tourances seem to be favored replacement - Are these the "radials" using Metzler tubes?

2. Anybody tried the Dunlop Dual Sport D607? If so, what's the verdict? (REASON I ASK ABOUT DUNLOPS IS THAT MY LOCAL BIKE SHOP HAS "SPECIAL" ON DUNLOPS and I'm curious on input.

3. What if I just end the pretense of any real off-road use and switch to a regular street tire - what are the brand/model suggestions for a bike that will be used on pavement 99% of the time/1% on the gravel road that leads to my house a mile off the pavement?

Any help/suggestions appreciated. Love the scrambler, hate the noisy vibrating tires.

Bought a 1995 Trident in May 1995 (still have it). Bought a 2001 Sprint ST and sold it to get the scrambler (Sprint was just too big/heavy, never felt comfortable on it). Scrambler is what a motorcycle should be, very nimble compared to the Sprint.

Bill
Lexington, Mich

I just love it when someone says something like, 'sold it to buy a scrambler' especially when bikes like 'sprints' get the shove in favour of.
I absolutely hated those 'trailwings' and it almost had me selling my bike, because I just couldnt get rid of the vibrations and quirks and thought it was the bike. Well it made me update the suspension anyway. I put some Avons on it and couldnt be more pleased, the bike fells exactly like it should now. I love it. Anyone else like the Avons?

GuyM

Street Tracker
I put up with the stock Trailwings for about 4,000 miles, then replaced them with Metzler Tourances. Better on and off pavement, particularly on pavement, and on wet pavement. The Tourances are still going strong with 7,000 miles on them:

Graded dirt road, soaked by melting snow:
005.jpg

Fly fishing trip not far from the Canadian border:
IMG_1290.jpg

Dirt road up a local hill I like to climb now and again:
IMG_1137.jpg

The Tourances handle it all with relative ease. They're not knobbies by any means, just good tires for pavement with some dirt thrown in. I'm impressed with the way they're wearing, won't be surprised to get 10,000 miles out of them.

Regards, Guy

airspro

Scooter
I put some Avons on it and couldnt be more pleased, the bike fells exactly like it should now. I love it. Anyone else like the Avons?

I had Avon street tires put on mine . I ride 1/2 mile of gravel to get to the main road . No problems and I like how they handle the rain groves on the highway here in Michigan .

ERDok

moped
Avon Distanzias. I have about 2500 miles on mine so far and love em'. They're night an' day compared to the stock stones. I ride 99% street.

GuyM

Street Tracker
Mike or anyone - how do the TKC's do on-pavement and how many miles can be expected from a set?

Look like they'd make the Scrambler far better in dirt...

So far the performance on the road is great, but I just mounted them a few weeks ago, so no idea what the life expectancy is yet. But am leaving for a long trip in 2 weeks. 1/2 blacktop, 1/2 gravel. Will let you know how they hold up. No where near as long as the tourances, but WAY better in the dirt. I'm riding from Anchorage, AK up to Dawson City in the Yukon. Hundreds of miles in the gravel. Pictures will soon follow.