Tight T100 Fuel Tap

gregs57

Scooter
I'm having trouble turning the fuel tap on my 2002 T100,
When it first started to get tight you could turn it on with just a little extra effort but it's gotten gradually worse over the last few years, to a point now that I am worried about snapping something while trying to turn the fuel on.
When the bike is hot it operates with little or no resistance.
Has anyone heard of this happening? and if yes then what is the best fix.
I'm going to contact my dealer and see if Triumph do something like a service kit for fuel taps (don't like my chances)
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Greg

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Mine's an '07... so maybe it doesn't have what your're talking about? Unless maybe you mean the petcock at the bottom of the tank? I've only closed mine when removing the tank or pulling the carbs. Other than that, it stays open.

WD-40?

I know mine felt tight a while back and just worked it loose by moving the tap throughout its rotation range. Hasnt been a problem since

Boofhead

Banned
On my 05 America it was the same sometimes , lasted 4 1/2 years with not breaking , you could try pulling it apart and using WD 40 as suggested

gregs57

Scooter
WD-40?

I know mine felt tight a while back and just worked it loose by moving the tap throughout its rotation range. Hasnt been a problem since

Yep, thats how mine started out, you could turn it toward reserve and then through to full on, but it has gotten worse since.
I'm interested to read a comment that BlueJ doesn't close his fuel tap (petcock)
How long a period are we talking about?, is it OK to leave the fuel on indefinately?
Thanks for the feed back guys
Greg

strokerlmt

Yep, thats how mine started out, you could turn it toward reserve and then through to full on, but it has gotten worse since.
I'm interested to read a comment that BlueJ doesn't close his fuel tap (petcock)
How long a period are we talking about?, is it OK to leave the fuel on indefinately?
Thanks for the feed back guys
Greg

You should close the petcock/fuel off when not using the bike. Wrap a rag around the valve and spray the shit out of it with WD40 and work the valve back and forth to loosen it up. If it was me I would take the tank off, drain the fuel and take the valve off. Its not hard to do. Check the screen inside the tank on the valve for dirt and look in the tank. You might need to clean the inside of the tank out.
LMT

KingBear

Hooligan
The petcock (the part you turn) is held place with a single screw located at the bottom of the fuel tap (see exploded diagram). The end of this screw holds the petcock in place by riding in a groove in the barrel of the petcock. I have read elsewhere that over time this screw might start to bind in the groove, maybe because of dirt as strokerlmt pointed out.

Shut off the fuel supply and carefully remove the screw (you have to get down very low to see it), being mindful of the spring located behind the petcock. Remove the petcock and inspect both it and the screw for signs of burrs, dirt, etc. Clean thoroughly and lightly lubricate the barrel of the petcock with grease prior to reassembly. Reinstall the screw using Locktite, do not over-tighten or it will bind again.

You should be good to go.

Attachments

• Petcock.jpg
    Petcock.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
.. BlueJ doesn't close his fuel tap (petcock)
How long a period are we talking about?

The last time it was closed was more than a year ago. I've closed it like 4 times in 4 years: The first time I pulled the carbs I closed it when I took the tank off off for easier access while rejetting, but now that I know where everything is I rejet with the carbs on the bike. I closed it when I removed the tank while doing the ARK thing, again for easier access. Closed it when I removed the tank when I ran my extra wiring from my accessory block up to the front for my GPS and Chatterbox, and when I removed the tank for painting.

I guess the only time I close it is when I'm removing the tank, although of course you'd have to close it if you're removing the carbs altogether even if the tank stays on.

Is that bad? Will I get more HP if I close it? :)

Bonniebret

Rocker
The last time it was closed was more than a year ago. I've closed it like 4 times in 4 years: The first time I pulled the carbs I closed it when I took the tank off off for easier access while rejetting, but now that I know where everything is I rejet with the carbs on the bike. I closed it when I removed the tank while doing the ARK thing, again for easier access. Closed it when I removed the tank when I ran my extra wiring from my accessory block up to the front for my GPS and Chatterbox, and when I removed the tank for painting.

I guess the only time I close it is when I'm removing the tank, although of course you'd have to close it if you're removing the carbs altogether even if the tank stays on.

Is that bad? Will I get more HP if I close it? :)

That's been the only time I've closed mine.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I only close mine for winter storage, or if I'm working on the bike and it needs to be closed.

What a nice succinct way to say what I used 547 words to say. :) Our 'winter storage' only lasts about 8 weeks at a time, and I'm a lazy SOB...

KingBear

Hooligan
I generally leave mine open as well, either in the ON or RES position. If I thought about it I might turn it off, but it's all I can do to remember to turn off the key and put the kickstand down. Yeah, A.D.D. is a bitch. :D

gregs57

Scooter
Just came up from the shed and after taking all advice into account, I've soaked the fuel tap with WD40.
After a few repeated sprays and working the tap back and forth I've now got a working fuel tap.
Thanks guys
The reason I've always closed the tap is that over many years I've ridden a lot of older bikes, a lot of it British and it becomes second nature to close the fuel tap every time you leave the bike

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
Mine has been difficult to turn once or twice. I developed a habit of turning it off ever since I found a puddle of gas under my bike on the floor of my garage - stunk up the whole house.

Trinorman

Scooter
You really ought to get in the habit of turning off your petcock or you are tempting fate and hydrolock. Could cost you an engine. Here are a couple links you might want to read that might encourage to turn your fuel off all the time you are not riding it. To paraphrase Dirty Harry, "Or are you feeling lucky?" Just because it has not happened to you, do you really want to take the chance over such a simple turn of a lever?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

http://ridingoutloud.com/what-is-hydrolock-and-how-do-i-avoid-it/

Chris

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
... tempting fate and hydrolock....

Hey good info, thanks!! I'd never heard of such a thing. I wonder if the design of the Bonnies would keep that from happening because the float bowls are so far below the intake manifolds. I also wonder - is it possible that the inevitable mechanical failure of the petcock under repeated operation more, or less, probable than the hydrolock condition?

... tempting fate and hydrolock.... To paraphrase Dirty Harry, "Or are you feeling lucky?"

Every day of my life. :)