Thunderbird $$ Revealed

KingBear

Hooligan
The Thunderbird comes in at a price comparable to the HD Dyna. How much market share will it claim?

Triumph Sets Thunderbird Pricing
April 16, 2009

Triumph has set the price for its new Thunderbird big twin cruiser at $12,499 USD. Dealers throughout North America are accepting deposits for the first wave of Thunderbirds, which are scheduled to arrive on North American shores this summer.

“We have received a lot of fantastic feedback from motorcyclists who have seen the new Thunderbird online and at Daytona Bike Week,” said Jim Callahan, North American Marketing Manager for Triumph Motorcycles.

“Triumph is dedicated to providing an outstanding motorcycling experience, so we are thrilled to make this amazing new motorcycle available at a very competitive price point.”

The Triumph Thunderbird has been designed from the ground up to feature an innovative 1,600cc parallel twin engine, six-speed transmission and 200mm rear tire. An anti-lock braking system (ABS) is available for an additional $800 USD.

The Thunderbird will be easily customized to meet each rider’s own styling tastes and riding preferences with a long list of Genuine Triumph Accessories that include a long haul touring seat, windshield, passenger back rest, luggage rack and leather saddle bags.

The new bike’s namesake landed on North American shores in 1950 and received rave reviews from motorcyclists for its styling, agility and speed and later appeared alongside Marlon Brando in the blockbuster movie “The Wild One”.

The new Thunderbird is a radical departure from its ancestor, but promises to live up to its legacy.

To reserve a new Thunderbird, customers should visit their local Triumph dealer to place a deposit and complete a Reservation Form. Once Triumph North America receives the Reservation Form, a conformational email will be sent to the dealer and customer with the expected month of delivery.

As shipments are received from the factory, motorcycles will be sent to the dealers for customers in the order that the reservations were received. The special order program will run until July 1, 2009.

T

tattooedcouple

The Thunderbird comes in at a price comparable to the HD Dyna. How much market share will it claim?

12,500 that price was released 4 months ago...old news..and if it takes just one hd rider away....worth every penny..

SLEDHEAD

Two Stroke
Basic H.D. softtail is $500.00 less....But...the new XR-1200 is 1700.00 less than this new Thunderbird...Would'nt be surprised if the XR outsells this T-Bird....Time will tell....

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
I don't see the T-bird doing well. The cruiser market is pretty conservative, and they generally don't stray far from the v-twin theme. They tend to like the feel and cadence of a v-twin, which I can understand. If I were buying that type of bike, I'd probably go with a lazy v-twin myself. I see the t-bird as being a niche bike, much like the rocket 3 or the older Honda Valkerie. Never gonna sell in big numbers like HD, V-star, or VIctory, but there will be a select few who will appreciate something different.

Local dealer has advertised the ThunderBird at $21,500 plus on road for the basic model

Can someone say greed? or maybeee price gouging?

Not my style of bike and may be as heavy as a HD. Now if they would put that engine in a Bonneville configuration at the right weight it would be very inticing to me.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
$12,500 US dollars approximately equals $17,250 AUS dollars
$21,500 AUS dollars approximately equals $15,500 US dollars

Caveman

Scooter
Can someone say greed? or maybeee price gouging?

Price gouging for sure. Dealers must think all punters are thick!!

Reckon at that rate it would be better to buy the bike in the US for US12,500 which is roughly AUD$17k & pay the freight to Oz!! Gotta be less than AUD$4.5KAUD!!

Maybe I could pay excess luggage fee or take it on as cabin luggage when I am coming back from overseas later in the year.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I gotta confess... I really would like to swing a leg over the Tbird. Pretty sure I would not like like it, but would love to see what a big motor like that could do.:popcorn:

cafecruzin

Two Stroke
Reckon at that rate it would be better to buy the bike in the US for US12,500 which is roughly AUD$17k & pay the freight to Oz!! Gotta be less than AUD$4.5KAUD!!
plus import should end up costing you about double

ivar

TT Racer
I see the t-bird as being a niche bike, much like the rocket 3 or the older Honda Valkerie. Never gonna sell in big numbers like HD, V-star, or VIctory, but there will be a select few who will appreciate something different.

I'd think most t-bird buyers will be ppl upgrading from a Speedy/America - or ppl lusting for a triumph in cruiser form, but finding the Speedy/America to small and the RIII too big and radical.

Maybe not the biggest of niche's..? I guess time will show how good it sells

(Myself, I'd prefer it as a 12-1300cc, lighter, nimbler bike..)

T

tattooedcouple

Basic H.D. softtail is $500.00 less....But...the new XR-1200 is 1700.00 less than this new Thunderbird...Would'nt be surprised if the XR outsells this T-Bird....Time will tell....

comparing it to a xr...hahahahhahah ... the xr is not a two up cruiser.........anyways the "black" dyna is the only cheeper model.
and the TB will be faster