Thruxton Back on the Road

RGThruxon

Scooter
Well, it's been almost a year since I nearly totalled my bike. I was lucky that all the suspension and frame was not bent or twisted in anyway. All the damage was cosmetic. The side covers were gouged, exhaust pipes smashed in, headlight assembly broken in many peices, rear fender dented, foot pegs, and front and rear brake pedals and lever gone, just to mention a few.

Over the past year I have been working on each part either buying or fabricating new parts. I took the bike on the road for the first time and it rode as smooth as it did the day I bought it.

Here are a few of the things I did to the bike.... First I cut apart my airbox and bought some UNI pod filters, great mod and less than 200 dollars spent on the mod. It's too bad that it's a permanent thing and I can never take it back to stock but then again wh would I?

I then took off the rear fender and this was the second most labor intensive part of the whole rebuild. I bought some sheet metal from Home Depot and cut a rear fender from it. I went through three or four different designs before I found the right one (pictures to follow when I get a chance). I wanted to go with LEDs for the rear taillight and turns. I found a intigrated LED tail, brake, turn light bar from custom dynamics and decided to go with that. I had to then find another place to mount the license plate light. I decided to mount it under the tailsection. I couldn't find anything in the Ohio Revised code on where a plate can/cannot be mounted. All it said was it needs to be visible. I even had a cop look at it and he said it was ok.

For the Footpegs I went with the EMGO YZFR1 foot pegs. They are working ok but I found out after they were ordered the Older year R1s were the pegs people were using. I used the 2008 pegs and I need to make a spacer to keep the pegs at 90*.

Replacing the headlight was very difficult. I wanted to use the stock 7" assembly but I was against spending over $200.00 for it. I went back and forth on the 5.75" light sold by british customs or the 3.5" dominator light sold on various websites. I decided after much thought on the british customs light. Only problem is it's not a side mount light and thus a bracket either needed to be fabed up or bought. I bought a bracket but the same day I ordered it I found that a hole drilled in the center of the turnsignal bracket would work just fine and a relocation of the horn and rectifier would be needed and all the wires would also need to relocated.

The most labor intensive part of the whole rebuild wasn't routing the wires that were in the stock headlight, or the fabrication of a new rear fender, it was the removal and polishing of the deep gouges from the right and left engine cases. Once it was started it had to be fininshed and all the engine cases had to be finished. It took several days and weeks (only worked on them a few minutes at a time) to complete but in the end all the filing, sanding and polishing made for very neat and shiny cases.

Overall I am very happy with how the bike turned out. I have gained a greater confidence in my abilities if and when the time comes for another mod or two. When I get a chance I will take a few pics and post them.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
I had similar feelings with the headlight, weighing the costs and options. I finally (actually Jeramy "Savantjk") found one for sale off a salvaged bike in Florida. $70 for a complete is a lot better than what Triumph wanted.

Congrats. Looking forward to the pics!

mark66

TT Racer
You know the best part of something like this is doing so much of it yourself. Nice job......sounds like you put a lot of you into this rebuild. Great to hear and congrats on finishing it up. :cheers:

RGThruxon

Scooter
Thanks for all the compliments. I'll be sure to get a few pics when I get the chance. Do the pics need to loaded to a site liek photobucket or can I upload them from my comouter.

Thanks

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I started a photobucket just for this site pretty much.. just upload there, click on the image code which will copy it and paste here. The perk is you have all of your build progress pics somewhere if your comp or hard drive happen to crash!

RGThruxon

Scooter
Here are a couple of pics. I have to upload a few more. These are of the finished FEK with the plate mounted under the tailsection and yes, there are plate lights to illuminate the plate and a cop looked it over and said it was all ok. I also went through the Ohio Revised Code and couldn't find anything. The lights used are the Tail,Brake, Turn light bar from Custom Dynamics. It was an easy install and the light will mount virtually anywhere you can stick it. Hope you all like it.

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg