This last summer and more.

Roger

Street Tracker
Back in 2010, I got bit by the motorbike bug. Having lived in Germany when I was younger, I was exposed to a bike culture that thrives in Europe. Not so much here in Canada or in the U.S.. At least that is how I perceive it. The riders over here are only a select few that just know. Then there are the poseurs of whom I could seriously give a rats ass.

After a couple years of just looking and wanting, I finally saw a 2003 T100 on a dealers web page that came up for sale. This showed up on a Saturday and come Monday morning, I was in their shop buying my first bike in many years. Bang! $5600 and couldn't wait to get a plate and insurance. Bought a brand new Shoei full face and some Ikon gloves to get me setup.

That Thursday after work, a buddy dropped me off at the dealership and I got on a bike for the first time. Started riding up and down the street to get a feel. Must have looked funny because I know I looked a bit awkward.

After getting a feel for the gears and brakes a little, headed out onto the streets with a lot of apprehension. I had been reading about all the dangers associated with bikes and car drivers. The bad roads in this city, the dirt and gravel that constantly litter our roads, the dealer telling me to be careful on cold pavement, on and on and on.

I chose lesser traveled roads to get home. There was a four lane artery that I should have taken to cut my trip short. Too much rush hour traffic so I chose a different route. Wasn't comfortable doing shoulder and mirror checks just yet. I'm thinking too much I tell myself. But I would rather be safe till I get to know the bike and regain my capabilities.

I got the bike home and the wife immediately liked it. Not that she would want to ever get on it with me. That's disappointing but she is too scared. She has been real supportive of me getting the bike and through the summer she would tell me to just go out and ride. Just tell me to 'ride safe'. Cool. Must be the life insurance I guess.

After a few weeks of going out on little road trips in and around the city, it all started flooding back. I was starting to weave my way through traffic, ripping and tearing around corners. I even got into the bad habit of having my front wheel coming off accelerating out of corners. I used to have a triple 2-stroke Wobblesaki. Those bikes were dangerous. 7000 RPM and they dance. I loved that Kawi but the seals went out of the crank and at the time, I ditched it for a Norton which was the last bike I owned until I bought my T100. I still wish I had kept the Norton but the economy went into the crapper, I lost my job, my house and I sold everything. It took 15 years to recover from that shit, a significant career change, a wife, a house, four cats and now a Triumph.

Looking back, I probably could have owned a bike a lot sooner. I guess I just forgot, fell out of love for riding, other priorities. Not only that, whenever I was out and about either driving or walking around, all I ever saw were dbags on Harleys. And whenever I heard about bikes, it seemed there was another fatality involving another biker.

I don't know what changed but I saw this little CB350 parked on a road I travel a lot, all cafe'd out. Then a 750R airhead done up as a cafe. I got the itch and started looking for another Norton. Well, forget that shit. Overpriced, bobbed, chopped or basketcase. Almost got a 1972 900R but the week I contacted the seller, he had sold it. Then I found the T100. Shit just got real after that.

I rode the Triumph all summer long, any time I could get out I was on the road. Weekends were the best. I would disappear all day Saturday or a Sunday. Just keep in touch with the wife with texts so she knew I was okay. I would hit back roads, gravel roads, highways and go places I would never even think of in a car. Everytime I was out on the bike, it was like riding years ago. Go anywhere, anytime and not give a crap about anything. Big fucking grin on my face anytime I think about it. It makes me think about all the other bikes I owned at one time and how much fun I had on all of them. There wasn't a single dog in the bunch. They were all a blast. Now I have this Triumph and she's a beaut!

To any of you that might be reading this and you don't have a bike yet, get one.

strokerlmt

Back in 2010, I got bit by the motorbike bug. Having lived in Germany when I was younger, I was exposed to a bike culture that thrives in Europe. Not so much here in Canada or in the U.S.. At least that is how I perceive it. The riders over here are only a select few that just know. Then there are the poseurs of whom I could seriously give a rats ass.

After a couple years of just looking and wanting, I finally saw a 2003 T100 on a dealers web page that came up for sale. This showed up on a Saturday and come Monday morning, I was in their shop buying my first bike in many years. Bang! $5600 and couldn't wait to get a plate and insurance. Bought a brand new Shoei full face and some Ikon gloves to get me setup.

That Thursday after work, a buddy dropped me off at the dealership and I got on a bike for the first time. Started riding up and down the street to get a feel. Must have looked funny because I know I looked a bit awkward.

After getting a feel for the gears and brakes a little, headed out onto the streets with a lot of apprehension. I had been reading about all the dangers associated with bikes and car drivers. The bad roads in this city, the dirt and gravel that constantly litter our roads, the dealer telling me to be careful on cold pavement, on and on and on.

I chose lesser traveled roads to get home. There was a four lane artery that I should have taken to cut my trip short. Too much rush hour traffic so I chose a different route. Wasn't comfortable doing shoulder and mirror checks just yet. I'm thinking too much I tell myself. But I would rather be safe till I get to know the bike and regain my capabilities.

I got the bike home and the wife immediately liked it. Not that she would want to ever get on it with me. That's disappointing but she is too scared. She has been real supportive of me getting the bike and through the summer she would tell me to just go out and ride. Just tell me to 'ride safe'. Cool. Must be the life insurance I guess.

After a few weeks of going out on little road trips in and around the city, it all started flooding back. I was starting to weave my way through traffic, ripping and tearing around corners. I even got into the bad habit of having my front wheel coming off accelerating out of corners. I used to have a triple 2-stroke Wobblesaki. Those bikes were dangerous. 7000 RPM and they dance. I loved that Kawi but the seals went out of the crank and at the time, I ditched it for a Norton which was the last bike I owned until I bought my T100. I still wish I had kept the Norton but the economy went into the crapper, I lost my job, my house and I sold everything. It took 15 years to recover from that shit, a significant career change, a wife, a house, four cats and now a Triumph.

Looking back, I probably could have owned a bike a lot sooner. I guess I just forgot, fell out of love for riding, other priorities. Not only that, whenever I was out and about either driving or walking around, all I ever saw were dbags on Harleys. And whenever I heard about bikes, it seemed there was another fatality involving another biker.

I don't know what changed but I saw this little CB350 parked on a road I travel a lot, all cafe'd out. Then a 750R airhead done up as a cafe. I got the itch and started looking for another Norton. Well, forget that shit. Overpriced, bobbed, chopped or basketcase. Almost got a 1972 900R but the week I contacted the seller, he had sold it. Then I found the T100. Shit just got real after that.

I rode the Triumph all summer long, any time I could get out I was on the road. Weekends were the best. I would disappear all day Saturday or a Sunday. Just keep in touch with the wife with texts so she knew I was okay. I would hit back roads, gravel roads, highways and go places I would never even think of in a car. Everytime I was out on the bike, it was like riding years ago. Go anywhere, anytime and not give a crap about anything. Big fucking grin on my face anytime I think about it. It makes me think about all the other bikes I owned at one time and how much fun I had on all of them. There wasn't a single dog in the bunch. They were all a blast. Now I have this Triumph and she's a beaut!

To any of you that might be reading this and you don't have a bike yet, get one.

Right on Roger......ride on.....
LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Welcome back :D I've been riding a bike pretty much all my life and I still look for the back roads when I head out and then I have that grin when I am on them. Good stuff.

Hughesy

Scooter
Welcome mate. Thanks for sharing a wonderful story.
I will deliberately take the secondary roads every time. It's not about the destination, but the journey, in a physical sense.
But it sounds like riding is going to be a great journey for you in the emotional sense too.

T-boy

Rocker
Great story, Roger. Congrats. Taking the road less traveled is one of the great joys of motorcycling.