The Red Tavern Road

Nick Morey

Rocker
The Red Tavern Road has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. It runs between St. Regis Falls, NY and Rt. 30 south of the town of Lake Titus. There are 2 rivers (Deer River & the east branch of the St. Regis River), 2 ponds (Deer River Flow & Horseshoe Pond), numerous hills and small mountains, and 3 townships own parts of this road that is only about 15 miles long. It's an older road that hasn't had many changes to it since I've been alive and doesn't get too much use. Any time is a good time to take this road off the beaten path but, when the leaves start to change, that is when this road is at its best.

100_0170.jpg

100_0179.jpg

100_0181.jpg

100_0192.jpg

This is Everton Falls. In the 1800's there was a logging camp here and the place was really busy believe it or not. One of my great great grandfathers came here from Vermont to work as a cook. Some building foundations can still be seen if you tramp around a bit.

100_0174.jpg

This is the Red Tavern the road is named after. I spent a few Sunday's here playing keyboards with local musicians for free beer. :beer:

100_0191.jpg

Here is a view of Debar Mountain. It is one of the tallest mountains this far north. I climbed it back in my hiking days with my dog, Sporty, and some other friends. Rest in peace Sporty!

100_0195.jpg

A view of Horseshoe Pond.

100_0196.jpg

The end of the road.

100_0201.jpg

GuyM

Street Tracker
Those are some excellent photos of the countryside and of your Triumph as well. Nicely done!

The river looks perfect for fly fishing...

BonnFire63

Scooter
Great photos. Looks like you used a green filter or something.
I might be heading up by Rt. 30(Tupper Lake) myself soon for some Ruffed Grouse hunting.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Nice country out towards Tupper Lake, Bonnfire63, I was out there at a family reunion a few years ago.

I have a Kodak Z980. The Easyshare software that comes with it has a "scenic effect" it will add to pictures to saturate color. I think it gives photos kind of an old postcard kind of look.

Nick, you definately have an eye for photoghraphy, and your bike looks great.. I have an idea.. Since your a good photogragher and I ride way too many miles, lets go on a ride across the country, and and you take all the pictures, we sell the story to a magazine,and pay for our adventure:chin:.. Since your bike is red and mine is green, and the fall season is almost here. We can call the ride, "changing of the colors across the country" Triumph style ! :ride: :ride:

I rode last year up to Lubec Maine to see the farthest north eastern city in the US and to see if Maine Lobster is better than Florida.. I did not know there were so many nice roads up in that area of Vermont, New Hampshire, and New York..

Allen........... Will ride for food

PS.. Where did you get the chrome front fender? Do they make a chrome rear also?

Last edited:

Nick Morey

Rocker
Nick, you definately have an eye for photoghraphy, and your bike looks great.. I have an idea.. Since your a good photogragher and I ride way too many miles, lets go on a ride across the country, and and you take all the pictures, we sell the story to a magazine,and pay for our adventure:chin:.. Since your bike is red and mine is green, and the fall season is almost here. We can call the ride, "changing of the colors across the country" Triumph style ! ...

Sounds like a plan! Wait, let me go ask my wife ...

... OK, so do you think the leaves will still be changing when hell freezes over?

Seriously though, thanks for the compliments, they're sincerely appreciated!

The front fender was a "genuine" Triumph accessory. Don't know if they still sell them, do know it took about 2 or 3 months to get (backordered). Either newbonneville.com or bellacorse.com sell front & back chrome fenders, if I remember right.

So which was better? Maine or Florida lobster?

Last edited:
Thanks Nick, I looked at the fenders they have, but they do not look like the stock replacement like yours is..
And no, your wife is probably right... The leaves will not be changing when *ell freezes over... Sounded like a good idea on paper though..:)

Also I could not tell if the Maine lobster is better than Florida.. I guess I better try again...

Allen....... out wasting tires

wobblygong

Street Tracker
G'day Nick
I'm blown away by your photos. Your forests are so different to our "bush". We don't get the reds and yellows in the leaves in the autumn unless one lives in Canberra where the trees have been introduced.
Every Aussie looking at your photos would be drooling over the quality of your roads as well.
You've got the Bonneville looking pretty schmic. Some nice subtle touches of chrome. Like that!
Congratulations, well done.
Cheers,
Rod

Nick Morey

Rocker
Thanks for the compliments Rod. I wish I could trade places with you right about now. The weather here has turned cold & rainy and once the leaves fall and winter sets in tha'll be it for riding until April or May. This year has been especially rainy with a few sunny periods scattered in. Hopefully next year will be better!

wobblygong

Street Tracker
We've just experienced the hottest and driest August/September for 50 years with a first in my 62 years on this earth- a red dust storm which enveloped the entire east coast of Australia. Strange times and even stranger weather!!
It is so dry in outback western NSW and South Aust., last week strong westerly winds picked up millions of tons of red top soil and blew it across to us on the coast and then onto New Zealand. The Kiwis were a bit p...ed off with us but they like to rip us off whenever they get the chance. They can't say we never give them anything for nothing.
During the height of the duststorm, visibility was down to 50 metres. NOT the time to be riding. Not to mention the air filter on your bike working overtime to keep the fine red dust out of your motor.
Luckily this are not a common occurrence and we can ride all year round here in NSW.
I've posted a new thread on a recent ride of mine. Regretably, my photos are nowhere as good as yours. Give you some idea of what our bush looks like though.

Last edited: