The dreaded tire question!

I know it has probably been beaten to death over on the other site, but I would like to get some feedback from my esteemed brethren/sisteren on dual sport tires on Bonnies from this new kick ass site. I like the looks of them on Bonnies and am looking into putting a set on mine. DrewDesign is using the Michelin Anakees and he says he loves them. I'm looking at the Tourances and Anankees, but was wondering if anybody else has had experience with any of these. I'm told the Anakees are a 7k tire and the Tourances are 10k. Is this true or is my dealer blowing smoke to sell me a more expensive tire? I want something that will last a little longer than my current Lasertechs. I'm sure handling will suffer a bit as a result, but I'm not taking turns at 100mph.

UraniumC

Banned
would be interesting to know who runs what tires and why.

Bridgestones came on mine and Friday I'm having the rear replaced with the same. Mainly cause I've got to get an inpsection sticker on this bike this month and I'll be out of town quite a bit.

The front still has 2-3000 miles left. My plan had been to squeeze a few more miles out of the back and then replace them with something else.

Would be nice to have a thread on this site with everybody's choices and reports.

I like the look of the Avon distanzia, but I have no experience with them. Brent from Newbonneville.com ran them on his bonnie and liked them.

am44_distanzia.jpg

am43_distanzia.jpg

JEnfield

Street Tracker
I like the look of the Avons someone at the bash had them on a bonnie but not sure who it was they looked tough . I want something softer then the Metzler lazertechs that came stock. New shocks and tires coming in the next two weeks.

Jimmy

Those Avons look cool Sweat. I was thinking about getting my tires online and then having them mounted, but by the time I get that done, it will probably cost as much as actually buying from the dealer and having it done. My dealer right now has the Michelins and the Metzler. My rear tire right now is about shot. The front doesn't look too bad, but I might as well have them both replaced. Damn, motorcycles do cost a bit to maintain!

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I'm using the Anakees - Love 'em! - took them 1100 miles to Bennington and back, and I have to say they light years better than stock. I never tried the much-ballyhooed Sport Demons, but if you were leaning dual-sport, then go for it. I got mine one size bigger all around, and if anything, they drop into turns *easier* than the stockers - they certainly feel more planted there.

Hedge

American Infidel
Metzler lazertechs came stock on my bike and the only time I off-roaded them was when I missed the turn into the parking lot for the Friday Night BTB get-together. I simply mounted the sidewalk and proceeded over the "Grassy Knoll" while standing on my pegs and it felt rather secure! I brought her back down over the curb and into the parking lot wit all the others. I think there were a lot of eyes on me for that split second thinking that this maniac is going down!

Shorty

Two Stroke
I like the new Avon Roadriders which replaced a couple other models of theirs which are now out of production. I opted for a 140 in the rear in place of the stock 130 and haven't noticed any difference. These have the same tread pattern on front and rear. Nice and sticky in my opinion. I replaced the original Bridgstones (which I liked) after I noticed cracks in the side walls of my rear tire. Got both for about $200 including 3-day shipping.

Shorty

Two Stroke
I ran Avon Venoms on my last bike and the difference was night and day, very very grippy.
If Avon makes a Venom that will fit our Bonnies than it will be my next set of tires.

When it comes to tires, its the one area I don't skimp.
G_19972G_CL_1.jpg

Oxblood

750cc
I like the look of the Avon distanzia, but I have no experience with them. Brent from Newbonneville.com ran them on his bonnie and liked them.

Those looks sweet, thanks for bringing them up. I was in the market for a new set of shoes and just pulled the trigger on them. I'll let you guys know how I like 'em.

--Oxblood

Skinthead

Two Stroke
My T100 still had the stock bridgestones on it when I got it. I replaced the rear one with a metzler ME880 one size larger than stock. So far I find it to be a much better tire than the Bridgestone, and am about to order the front replacement....if I can ever get this thing reliable again...

I love Avons! I have run roadrunners and venoms on several bikes, and never been disappointed. I'd much prefer to run them all the time......

Skint

Oxblood

750cc
I'm replacing the metzlers that came on my bike. I used to be a huge metzler fan but my front is severly cracked and it is still a fairly new tire. I'll give these avons a try and see how I like em. I was going to go classic firestone but they don't make any to fit a 17" rim so I got to wait until I get the scratch for my 18 rim to go that route.

--Oxblood

MattRat

TT Racer
I need tires - Skint, what size on the new rear ("one size larger")
did you have any problem with installation?
I assume larger = wider?

oh, what's the stock front size?

Skinthead

Two Stroke
Stock rear is a 130, and I put a 140 on mine with room to spare for a 150.

if you have never wrestled a football you might want to take the wheels somewhere to have the tires put on. Dealing with tubes makes it a pain inthe ass with these stiff sidewall tires. I do my own, and they are generally not a problem fo rme, but i have done many a bike tire, and thousands of car, light truck, tractor/trailer, and heavy equipment tires over the years (uncle in the business).

if you have a cycle gear local they will mount them for you for about 25 a tire i think, and they balance for free regardless of where the tire came from

Skint

Two Stroke
I'm replacing the metzlers that came on my bike. I used to be a huge metzler fan but my front is severly cracked and it is still a fairly new tire. I'll give these avons a try and see how I like em. I was going to go classic firestone but they don't make any to fit a 17" rim so I got to wait until I get the scratch for my 18 rim to go that route.

--Oxblood

After reading this thread I am guessing you are after a OLD-OLD school look.
If so you may see what the Coker Tire Co. has to offer.

Link...http://store.coker.com/home.php

Is it ok to post links like this on this site?

Those Coker tires are cool. I'd love to give my bike that old school look, but I don't really want old school handling! Maybe I'll get another Bonnie.

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
I use pirelli scorpion syncs. They are designed after the MT90 tire, but with a slightly less aggressive tread. They are sticky on the street. Here's a vid that shows them:

Greg

L Train

Scooter
I love the look of those Avons. When I first discovered the newbonneville site I saw Brent's Hooligan Bonnie pics I knew those were gonna be the next tires I get. I need to squeeze some more miles out of the stock Metzlers before I drop the coin on new ones, but when I do, them be the ones.

Oxblood do keep us posted, Im interested in the report.

Thanks,

L Train