Tapping coming from footpegs

chuckster

Scooter
I know this sounds crazy but here goes have a 2012 scrambler just about 500 miles and have noticed a tapping on the footpegs in all gears at about 2000-3000 RPM it's not vibration more kile someone was hitting the bottom of your boot lightly. Did not feel this on my 09 America or on my brothers 06 scrambler,at first thought i said it must be thie trials tires but don't think so,and it's not cycical just a random tapping,it"s going back to the dealer tomarrow but was wondering if anyone has had this happen? One othe thing all of a sudden been getting clatter from the engine when it's hot,mayby clutch,cam chain not sure

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I know this sounds crazy but here goes have a 2012 scrambler just about 500 miles and have noticed a tapping on the footpegs in all gears at about 2000-3000 RPM it's not vibration more kile someone was hitting the bottom of your boot lightly. Did not feel this on my 09 America or on my brothers 06 scrambler,at first thought i said it must be thie trials tires but don't think so,and it's not cycical just a random tapping,it"s going back to the dealer tomarrow but was wondering if anyone has had this happen? One othe thing all of a sudden been getting clatter from the engine when it's hot,mayby clutch,cam chain not sure

Check that your rear wheel is not sitting crooked, making sure that the marks for adjusting the chain are same both sides. If the wheel is crooked your chain would be running screw if with the rear sprocket and possibly sending a tapping sensation down to the primary sprocket and therefore giving you a tapping in the right hand side foot peg. The left side might be picking this up as well.

The cam chain tensioners have a tendency of not going the next click to maintain the best tension and therefore the chain can give a bit of a rattle until you give it a bit of a hand to actually go the next click.

chuckster

Scooter
Hay guys thanks from the bottom of michael flatly"s heart and mine and the dealer can"t find the problem,maybe it"s me

78gold

Two Stroke
Tapping

Do you have an Ipod on??

Dont laugh her indoors was worried about "a noise in the floor of our home office". I couldnt hear anything. About 10 minutes later she heard it again.
"It was loud, I could hear it over my Ipod".

Then it clicked, she was unconsciously tapping her foot on the floor to the music.

Laugh, I nearly wet myself.

Ride Safe
Nigel

chuckster

Scooter
When i picked it up they said they had rode the bike and felt nothing,so when i drove off and still felt it turned around and had the owner take it for a spin again,oh that tapping he said huh then vanished talked with another tech. at dealer said the clutch noise i was hearing was normal also you know love the scrambler but would like to talk with someone at Triumph that gives a crap. Remember reading about problems Peter Eagen had with his scrambler when he got it sprocket machined out of round among a couple fo other things but they fixed his pronto pay's to be a motocycle columnist

Craigore

TT Racer
This was happening to me for a while... I know it sounds ridiculous but make sure your chain is tensioned to spec. sometimes the extra strain on the tranny due to a slack chain can cause this feeling.

this same thing happened to me, and i adjusted the wheel in the swingarm and also made sure the lugs on the battery terminals were tight as well, it's worth trying both suggestions cause the problem for me went away afterword

LoVel

Two Stroke
I felt tapping in my foot pegs Friday. Seemed to be mostly on the right. I would have thought it was my centerstand but now I have to wonder. I will look at it some more if I feel it again.

tv guy

Scooter
I felt tapping in my foot pegs Friday. Seemed to be mostly on the right. I would have thought it was my centerstand but now I have to wonder. I will look at it some more if I feel it again.

Sounds like the chain might have a bad link or two. To check, put the bike on the center stand and rotate the wheel while watching the chain. The bad links will be obvious as they "clunk" past the sprockets.