Talking my friend out of a HD nightster

Ninja K

Two Stroke
A good friend of mine is in the market for a new bike. He likes the HD nightster but has been curious about the Thruxton. Of course I say Thruxton all the way but what would be some good arguments against the HD? I mean, besides that fact that it's a Harley Davidson LOL.

AceT100

Rocker
I think all you need to do is have him test ride both & decide, they are totally different styles of bike. The Knightster is an upright cruiser type thing whereas the Thruxton is a cafe racer style bike.

A Bonnie would be a closer comparison to the HD

Heizer

Scooter
I've never ridden one, but if I were to buy a Harley, which I have no plans of doing, the Nightster would be one of the very few I'd consider. Agree with the other posters though. If it's between that and a Thruxton, sounds like he might not be set on what he wants--since the riding position is so much different.

Heizer

Scooter
Forgot to answer your question.

Aside from aesthetic and riding-position preferences, seeing any Triumph is sure to be more rare than seeing an HD, so in that respect the Thrux would grab more attention.

It was down to the Nightster and the Bonneville when I was going to buy my 2nd bike....and what drove me towards the Bonneville was the price.

If I was earning a lot more to afford the monthly payment, I probably would have done the Harley Nightster because I already own a Triumph (Daytona 675) and that would be a perfect example that you dont have to be on one side or the other. It would have been better to show proof that Im a motorcycle connoseur instead of looking like Im a brand whore

Ninja K

Two Stroke
Thanks for the comments guys. I was really expecting some anti HD comments like they "leak, are slow, etc.."

He just sold his Honda Shadow VLX but I think he wants to fit in with the rest of us haha. I personally like the Nightster but I don't know much about Harley's to say if they're good or bad.. I read a lot of bad things about them but have no personal experience. I told him that the Thrux is a very reliable bike and he'll stand out in the crowd.. there's a lot of HDs around here hahah

henrys

Street Tracker
My bro-in-law as a nightster. I think it's a pretty cool bike. Of course my bonnie is cooler though. :)

mark66

TT Racer
Yeah, my argument for the Thrux would be......do you want to be like a sheep in a herd of thousands (the nightster) or do you want to stand out and be a little different than the herd, like the sheep dog. Be the herder not the herd, get a Thrux. :)

Yeah, my argument for the Thrux would be......do you want to be like a sheep in a herd of thousands (the nightster) or do you want to stand out and be a little different than the herd, like the sheep dog. Be the herder not the herd, get a Thrux. :)

+1...that's what made it much easier when deciding between my Bonneville or a Nightster...and needless to say, I get TONs of attention to the point of ad nauseum at times with my Bonneville

MattRat

TT Racer
Nightster: 553lbs dry, 72bhp with aftermarket intake and exhaust, $10k + whatever the screaming eagle add ons cost

Thruxton: 452lbs dry, 68bhp without modifying the intake/exhaust, $8800 msrp

huge performance advantage to the thruxton, with $2-3000 left in your pocket.

Plus Thruxtons are way cooler

Nightster: 553lbs dry, 72bhp with aftermarket intake and exhaust, $10k + whatever the screaming eagle add ons cost

Thruxton: 452lbs dry, 68bhp without modifying the intake/exhaust, $8800 msrp

huge performance advantage to the thruxton, with $2-3000 left in your pocket.

That's not telling the whole story. That 1200 motor is a torquey sumbitch. It's power delivery is totally different than the Bonnie/Thrux.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
If your bud is just looking around and is looking at a nightster, why not have him look at a rocket3 too. Just saying. I Am now dodging virtual rocks.

You can't pry my Bonnie from me with a crowbar.

OK. I own a Bonnie/black. The wife owns a Harley xl883l. Having ridden them both here's the comparison.

The Bonnie is like an exquisitly refined lady. The Harley is like an uncouth harlot. In the end, they both satisfy completely.

Have your friend ride both and choose the one that "lights his fire" the hottest.

Craigore

TT Racer
That's not telling the whole story. That 1200 motor is a torquey sumbitch. It's power delivery is totally different than the Bonnie/Thrux.

Exactly. The Harley is like... "holyyyyyyyyyy shitttttttttt" off the line. The Thrux is a pretty good bike in that regard compared to a sport bike... but the harley has way more torque. The Nightster is the best looking sporty ever made (even though I have a few friends with the 48 which is pretty cool as well). Hardtailed, they look even better. In the end, I'd love to have Thruxton looks with Nightster performance. I live in the city, so this might not ring true for all riders out there. Fortunately, airbox removal and new pipes will boost performance relevant to real world riding. The few friends that I have with Busa's et al. are constantly talking about top speed and BHP but in the end ride just as slow around town as I do...

ivar

TT Racer
I think all you need to do is have him test ride both & decide, they are totally different styles of bike.

that would be my advice too
coming from a Honda shadow, he might not be quite ready to convert to a cafe-racer style bike yet

I'd say take a test on the H-D, the Thrux and a Bonnie. We can only advise on asthetic appeal as we don't know what type of riding he likes, how long, how fast e.t.c.

I've had everything from Ducati a 916 to an XLX61 Sportster and know now that at my age and the type of riding I do, the Ducati would cripple my back after a couple of hundred km and the Sporty would cripple my arse whereas the Bonnie I can get off of after 350 - 400km of twisties, have a shower and go out and drown myself from the inside out in beer until the small hours :D. That makes the Bonnie the perfect bike for me, but like they say, "horses for courses".

Cheers,

Pikey.

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
Ride the Nightster over anything other than a perfect road for 2 hours. Game over. No rear shocks at all and even with good aftermarket there is less than 3 inchs avail. Great bike for blasting around but not for riding around all day. 50 miles of WNY winter potholed roads was enough!