Tach or No Tach?

Mojo146

Scooter
I'm "personalizing" a 2001 Bonneville that has only the stock speedometer. I'm considering going with only the speedo in a flash new D9 bracket that relocates the ignition key.

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/...assembly/?action=view&current=Cypher1_009.jpg

I know the tach is nice to have (had one all my other bikes) but it is it really necessary? D9 makes an equally tasty bracket for speedo and tach and the brachet/tach package would only be about $200 more.

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/...ets/?action=view&current=OEM_DG_IGN_relo1.jpg

Maybe I should go with just the tach! No, seriously, what do you guys think?

Kirkus51

Hooligan
First thing I got for my Black was a tach. Thought I was revving the shit out of it, until I installed the tach.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
First thing I got for my Black was a tach. Thought I was revving the shit out of it, until I installed the tach.

+1 to that. Chances are good that you're not close to redline on your shifts if you don't have a tach. IMHO, the only time it makes sense to not have a tach is if you have an automatic transmission. :)

koifarm

Hooligan
I've got one of the mini tachs in a D9 bracket, although I don't push the Bonnie much it does tell me how it's idling and where the red line is.....but I rarely go that far, especially with the sidecar on, it tends to skew a bit when you bump the throttle open.
Auto Trans BJ? what a concept....especially for us old farts who have trouble counting and continually look for that superfluous sixth gear....could you get it in overdrive?....

T100JIP

Scooter
Mojo,
I think it depends entirely on your riding style. If you are keeping the revs up, maximizing performance, of course, get one. But if you ride like I do, and I suspect many others also, the tach is many to satisfy curiosity. I never use it, though its there. I drive by feel and sound. I am not pushing the bike to the limits. I have never even begun to get close to the redline. Probably never will. Styling wise, a tach does look cool...
T100JIP

em_dot

Street Tracker
After doing the new bars and mirrors I added a tach, oil pressure gauge along with a D9 bracket and alloy cups for the speedo and tach. D9's stuff is like art and his customer service is top notch.

D9OPGBracket.jpg

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Growing up with dirtbikes, not having a tach is no big deal to me but I would love to know where I'm shifting, idling, etc. Been drooling over D9's stuff for a while now.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Hell, Who need a tach when there's the Rev Limiter! Haven't had one on this bike, Never used it on my other bikes anyway.
Seriously, I've really only bounced off the rev limiter twice in three years of ownership. I just kept on the gas as she was still pulling hard in 3rd and it's abrupt when it occurs.
What is the red line on '09 Bonnies? Where is the rev limit set? I always forget to look when at the dealership. Thx

mark66

TT Racer
First thing I did with both my '03 America and now my '07 Bonnie was add the tach. I just gotta have one. And my next thing will be to add that D9 bracket your looking at.

TXRider60

Scooter
I'm also not a hard-riding high-revver-- but I added a mini-tach in a D9 bracket, and haven't regretted it... As someone mentioned, I even like to know how it's idling-- and once in a while I'm in a situation which does call for more RPMs. ymmv.

cynr1023

TT Racer
I went with the cypher but a little different than most people. I put a tach in the big spot and the speedo in the little spot.

Travis_Cypher2.jpg

Mojo146

Scooter
The answer (for me, anyway) is . . . TACH

D9 oil pressure bracket in black powdercoat. An all-day ride today on a tachless bike with a ton of chrome helped me make the decision. The tach, although not necessary, is nice to have and the bike I rode today had enough chrome to blind a guy on a sunny central Texas day.

Thanks for all the input. Aren't these Bonnies spot on!

Attachments

• 2001 Bonneville BEFORE 3.jpg
    2001 Bonneville BEFORE 3.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D9 Dual OPG Black 2.jpg
    D9 Dual OPG Black 2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0