T100 Tires

mtnbandit

Scooter
Hi All;
I have a 2012 Bonneville T100 with spoke wheels. What tires are you running on these wheels ?
I would like to run Michelin PR-3's but they are listed for tubeless wheels. Will they work with tubes in them on my wheels ?
Thanks for the replies.
Brent

Roger

Street Tracker
I have a set of Metzeler ME880 tires that I will mount and balance hopefully in the next week or two. I have Michelin tubes for them as well. No off-shore crap for me. There is no problem with mounting tubes in a tubeless tire. Make sure to talc the inside of the tire and the tube when mounting. You want to reduce the friction between the tube and the tire carcass. Talc is also needed to allow the tube to slip when being inflated the first time. Inflate once to seat the beads then let all the air bleed off and let the tube settle. Reinflate to proper pressure.

Google tire talc or look on Amazon. 'Rema' is one brand that comes to mind. There are probably others too.

Motley

750cc
I just bought a set of Michelin Piolt Activ. I haven't put them on yet.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6158/i/michelin-pilot-activ-rear-tire

I've just bought a set of those for my Thruxton, after using the Pirelli Sport Demons (tubeless tires with inner tubes) for years. I'm having a 150 put on the rear. I'm keen to see how these tires behave as I've read good things about them.

Brent (mtnbandit), tubes in tubeless tires is a non-issue, don't worry about it.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Hi All;
I would like to run Michelin PR-3's but they are listed for tubeless wheels. Will they work with tubes in them on my wheels ?

Yes. Any tubeless tire will work with a tube. It's the reverse that doesn't work...i.e. you can't run a tube tire as tubeless.

Cheers,

--Rich

dr_cerebro

Two Stroke
I'd like to know, why do you want to put a tube into tubless tires?
Are they easier to repair, are they safer?

Roger

Street Tracker
Hi Doc. mtnbandit's bike is a T100. It doesn't have mag wheels but uses spoked wheels.

I know that some people have used silicon or some sort of rubber compound to seal the spokes so that they can mount tubeless tires and not need to use a tube. For myself, I don't think that is a very good solution but it does work. There are a few benefits to doing this. You have a lot more tires to choose from and you get to keep the look of spoked rims. You also lose some weight from the wheels which improves your suspension.

I really like the Dunlop GT501, unfortunately now discontinued.

I'm hoping the new Metzeler Sportec Klassik will become available in the US this year.

bonZa

Street Tracker
Yes. Any tubeless tire will work with a tube. It's the reverse that doesn't work...i.e. you can't run a tube tire as tubeless.

Cheers,

--Rich

ditto

I have been running Avon Roadriders on my T100 for the past 50,000 miles, which are marked as "tubeless"

just make sure you get quality tubes. a couple of the cheap Taiwanese tubes I have used have cracked or perished around near the valve stem and the rubber is paper thin. have now manged to obtain good German quality Heidenau tubes

Demar

Two Stroke
Demar, I'm going with the same tires you bought. I've been using Michelins on my Concours and they give good mileage and handle well.
I'll post when I get some miles on them.
Thanks for all the replies.
Brent

I hope you like them. I hope I like them; I haven't installed them yet.

mtnbandit

Scooter
Michelin Activ

Demar, I've got the tires and like you haven't installed them just yet.
When I do and get some miles on them I'll post my opinion.
Brent

mtnbandit

Scooter
Michelin Activ Tires

Demar;
I installed the Michelins today but haven't had a chance to ride the bike.
I'll keep you posted.
Brent[/COLOR][/COLOR]

mtnbandit

Scooter
Michelin Activ Tires

I've been able to put several hundred miles on these tires and they handle and feel better then the original Metzlers.
I'll post more info when I get some serious miles on them
Brent