T100 or not T100?

This will be my first season of riding and I will be riding an old Honda Nighthawk 550. I really want to purchase a Triumph Bonneville next winter after I have a riding season under my belt.

My big question is should I go with the T100 or not? It looks like aesthics are the only difference. Thoughts?

extras

I went with 2002 model, only because I wanted the model that was 100 yrs to first motorised Triumph bike. I actually prefer the fact that covers are not chrome but would have liked a Tacho. But basically if you are talking base model over T100 then it really is just extra's only.

Carnation

Street Tracker
Some of the colour schemes are good, some not so. Some of the Bonnies are a bit plain. Lots more chrome on the T100, so you'd better like polishing.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
T100 compared to the standard or SE (assuming we're talking '09's); the T100 has a larger diameter bar, 1 inch compared to 7/8. The switchgear is all different, right down to the brake resevoir. Basically, the SE or standard are made for smaller size riders, with smaller hands, shorter legs. The grips are smaller around, the seat is lower, and the whole bike is lower because of the 2" smaller front wheel. If you don't have a strong opinon on the 70's vs. 60's look, go sit on both. Chances are one will just feel "right" and the other one just won't. My personal opinion, I'd never change my T100 for a SE, mainly because I feel like I sit "in" rather that on the SE. Also I hate the look of the handlebar and switchgear. The T100 switches are much bigger and look more quality IMO.
Try 'em both and see which one scratches the itch.

DandyDoug

750cc
Every time I read about this so called dilema , I think about all the people who buy the basic bike and then pay to add a Tachometer and farkles to make it look like a T100. Why not just buy one and be happy, you won't be dissapointed.

First, why pay money for a tach that you will end up paying interest on if you are financing any of the new bike. And second, you should just buy the bike this year.

jeddy-3

Two Stroke
I'm not trying to be an ass.....but who cares. I'm with Dandy Doug on this one...Get what you like, I promise you will like whatever you get. Don't ask the opinion of others.....go with your opinion. All my friend's were screaming "bonne black" and I went with my gut....the white and orange T100 that is the furthest from black you'll find. Almost 5 years later and I still stare at it when given the chance. If you like the colors, the tachometer, the spokes, and you like the chrome bits then that's reason alone to get the T100, if you ask me. I have a feeling that you won't even notice the extra $20/month (or whatever) on your note either.

Go ride that Nighthawk and have fun on two wheels....its a great bike.

AceT100

Rocker
T100 compared to the standard or SE (assuming we're talking '09's); the T100 has a larger diameter bar, 1 inch compared to 7/8. The switchgear is all different, right down to the brake resevoir. Basically, the SE or standard are made for smaller size riders, with smaller hands, shorter legs. The grips are smaller around, the seat is lower, and the whole bike is lower because of the 2" smaller front wheel. If you don't have a strong opinon on the 70's vs. 60's look, go sit on both. Chances are one will just feel "right" and the other one just won't. My personal opinion, I'd never change my T100 for a SE, mainly because I feel like I sit "in" rather that on the SE. Also I hate the look of the handlebar and switchgear. The T100 switches are much bigger and look more quality IMO.
Try 'em both and see which one scratches the itch.

Never knew there was that much difference between them!

I love my T100, and the color is wonderful....

3148849229_60827eff3c.jpg

paulSF

Scooter
I'm not trying to be an ass.....but who cares. I'm with Dandy Doug on this one...Get what you like, I promise you will like whatever you get. Don't ask the opinion of others.....go with your opinion. All my friend's were screaming "bonne black" and I went with my gut....the white and orange T100 that is the furthest from black you'll find. Almost 5 years later and I still stare at it when given the chance. If you like the colors, the tachometer, the spokes, and you like the chrome bits then that's reason alone to get the T100, if you ask me. I have a feeling that you won't even notice the extra $20/month (or whatever) on your note either.

Couldn't agree more ...

Carnation

Street Tracker

yup..

I rode a Bonneville 40 years ago, you know with wire wheels,dual gauges,lots of shiny pieces. So when I saw the "06" Black and Red T100 I had to have one. My wife asked me why I wonted it so mad. I told her if I did nothing more than kept in the garage and got to polish on it I would be a happy man. I do much more than that and love my T100. That's me you have to get what fits.

aquinas

Scooter
I took the advice of many here and sat on a lot of bikes. In the end I ignored many of my buddies and settled on the bonnie black. I learned a lot by looking at some of the bikes that were brought in for repair at the local triumph dealer. I had no idea that kind of custom stuff could be done. Once my mind was made up I patiently checked craigs list every day looking for one. Luckily with this economy I was able to take an 08 off a guy's hands because he could no longer afford payments. This saved me at least $2500 from the dealer. He already did first oil change and broke it in. I've never looked back since and even though I can't keep up in the canyons Ive even converted a couple of my friends on r6's to these modern classics.

This site is a wealth of information with very nice people contributing- but rely on it and use it after you make up your own mind. I'm totally with jeddy on this one.

Craigore

TT Racer
Black/Red looks great. I have a Bonnie green. I don't care too much for the color but at $4k with only 300 miles, I couldn't complain. I know a guy who powder coats. The Thruxton is nice, looks awesome.