Swept Back headers

Skidmark

Scooter
I am planning to have made a set of swept back headers made in stainless for my Thruxton, primary motivation is looks, that Goldstar, triton look. I will reuse the staintune cans I have, as I think they look good and I like the sound.

The question is should I go for a balance pipe under the engine, further back than the current location or will no balance pipe effect the performance too much?

Skiddy
Brisbane

PS the balance pipe will be about an additional A$100

drlapo

Hooligan
my T140 runs better with a balance pipe
my BMW R80s has two balbance pipes and you know how well those twins pull
I don't know the science but it seems to work
come to think of it my 83 Motor Guzzi LeMans has a balance pipe too
it will make the bike a bit quieter as the gases will exhauset from both mufflers

Thruxtonboy

Scooter
I would say: Don't forget the balancepipe!
Wenn you take a good look at the original Thruxton's from the sixties, you can see that these factoryracers had their balancepipes directly after the first bend of the headers, just after leaving the cilindershead.

rodburner

Rocker
I have no problems with a balance pipe,but he is talking about adding one to a swept back set of pipes.The first place available for the pipe would be about at the centerstand bosses. Why bother?

Sito

Scooter
I had the cross pipe taken off my thrux headers and with no airbox and dominator sports cans, I pulled an amazing 54bhp. Crappy. I'll find out how the dd 2/1s work this weekend on the dyno.

So no, don't lose it.

Skidmark

Scooter
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, I will go with the balance pipe.

Rod burner you are right the balance pipe will be about at the centre stand bosses but this is a similar distance from ther head as the route of the pipes is shorter with the swept back's. It is therefore closer to the silencers and the total pipelength is shorter.

Skiddy

Skidmark

Scooter
Jenks pipes

Thanks for the info on Jenks.
They do not have a balance pipe as :-
"No the pipes do not have a balancer pipe they are performance down pipes."

in addition the cost including shipping to Oz is GBP 417 or A$920.
the local manufacture will do it for $500 with a balance pipe, so it looks like I have a plan.

Skiddy

$500 bucks! - you gotta love the lower labour cost in Oz. When I came out to the US for work, I was keen to get my hands on the performance parts over here in the US as they are a lot cheaper than shipping to Oz and the exchange rate. Now that I am over here (SF) I was shocked at the high cost of US labour - can't have it both ways...Brisbane - what a great town - although some time away has allowed the points on my driving licence to recover. That cop on Mt Glorious used to stalk me every Sunday...

bdavanza

Street Tracker
Man. I went to look at the pipes on Jenks.
They needs some photography help. How can you sell a set of pipes with one yellow picture of just one side of the bike? Also in all their shots they have the image compressed laterally which squishes (distorts) the picture. That's not good. If there's one thing a website should do, it's show off your merchandise.
-Ben

rodburner

Rocker
Man. I went to look at the pipes on Jenks.
They needs some photography help. How can you sell a set of pipes with one yellow picture of just one side of the bike? Also in all their shots they have the image compressed laterally which squishes (distorts) the picture. That's not good. If there's one thing a website should do, it's show off your merchandise.
-Ben
I think they use those odd looking pics,so that you can`t see how far out the pipes stick from the bike. IMO,the SLIGHTEST laydown or mishap will destroy the pipe on that side or worse.

5bassman

Two Stroke
To each his own but I like the looks of my Rassk.
IMG_8703.jpg

Last edited: