SW Motech Engine Guards

zmilin

Street Tracker
I ordered these for Karen's 2013 T100. She has never "crashed" but has, a time or two, set her bike down so some protection was in order. I really didn't want to bolt on those Triumph Triangles again. She had those on her America and they were ok but you couldn't really mount pegs to them, at least not easily.
I looked at all the options I could find and really liked how these Motech guards hugged the headers but not too close, they looked like pegs could be mounted easily and overall just looked better to me than any others.

They arrived yesterday and I unpacked them this morning. They came individually wrapped in three layers of bubble wrap (I don't know if this was from Motech of the vendor I purchased them from) but the packing was awesome.

First impression and pros:
- Upon unwrapping them - "DAMN!"... these are well made.
- Extremely nice finish (don't know if its paint of powder yet) and so far.
- Just by holding them up to the bike, they look like they align very well which should make for a nice and easy install.
- They have three mounting locations (top = frame bolt, middle = front engine bolt, bottom = front of frame).

My only cons so far are as follows:
- Some of the mounting hardware is aluminum and the bars are black. Ill be hitting the spacers and exposed aluminum parts with some flat black for a better blending in but this is a detail I would have liked to see the manufacturer address.
- They have a SW-Motech sticker on each one of them. Ill be removing those.
- I wish they were offered in chrome. This would go better with a T100 (chrome engine cases) vs. a Bonny Black (black engine cases).

So far heres just a stock photo. Ill update with some before and after, after I get them installed.

swmotec_bars2.jpg

zmilin

Street Tracker
The install

All in all it went smoothly. I can imagine it could be a an issue for some that don't have all the tools at hand.

The tools:
- I used pretty much everything between 12mm to 18mm sockets and a 5mm hex.
- It seems as though instead of providing bolts in the same size range Motech decided to go up one on everything. OK, now you know. Is it a deal barker, no!

The parts:
- Everythng provided except for some Locktite. Use it, you are removing bolts form frame areas and you don't want any of these bolts backing out.
- I was missing one washer and later found it under a piece of paper... DOH! Check your parts in, the instructions provide pictures of everything you should get.
- The actual engine guards are powder coated black with a slight wrinkle finish. Very nice and after installation they don't look bad at all. The wife even mentioned last night that if they were chrome it would make the bike look very chrome heavy. Good point!

The install:
- The instructions are well put together. They are in multiple languages and not very wordy at all. I like that. The pictures would have been enough alone.
- The last step in the instructions even has the torque values for all bolts.
- The bars align almost perfectly. As with anything like this and multiple mounting points you don't tighten anything fully. You get all the threads started and in but not tight. This will allow you to adjust for any distortion that probably happened during the baking process (baking of the powder coat) but hey, I do live in Wa :D
- I would suggest making sure the front engine bolt goes in. That was the one that wasn't 100% aligned but since everything was loose it was easy to get in there with only minimal force.
- Install time took about an hour because I had to keep swapping out sockets and was working in a small space.

The final impression:
Id recommend these. They are very well build, very nice finish and they look like they can take a spill and save the Bonny. Heck, might even be abel to mound some foot pegs on them or even some aux lights if thats your thing.

Here are some pics to show the clearance between headers and how far out they are from engine casings.

Head on
13905866992_7885903177_b.jpg

Right side from front
13905871536_9559a01b85_b.jpg

Left side from front
13928989115_72f662047e_b.jpg

Left side from top
13928973085_c47f2dce80_b.jpg

Right side from top
13905844736_5c8b46589a_b.jpg

Last edited:

Roger

Street Tracker
These look surprisingly good. And chrome, might be a bit much. But hitting the fasteners and spacers with black would be good. Thanks for the pics.

BTW, is your front wheel off? It sure doesn't look like it is centered.

zmilin

Street Tracker
These look surprisingly good. And chrome, might be a bit much. But hitting the fasteners and spacers with black would be good. Thanks for the pics.

BTW, is your front wheel off? It sure doesn't look like it is centered.

I saw that in the pic too. Ill need to check it out. I can't imagine the wheel is off but those fender supports may need to be tweaked. Ill have to take a closer look.

Roger

Street Tracker
Be nice to see the bike once you have all the bits put on. I'm sure the wife is going to like this bike. I don't know the specs on the BA but I'm thinking the T100 is a few pounds lighter than the BA. That would make it easier to handle, but nonetheless, those bars are a good safety measure.

Blkbny

Scooter
Pleased with mine as well, had the local bike shop put them on, they only charged 1/2 an hour for the installation - while I waited - good deal I thought.

IMG_0084_zps3b3542f9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]