SV Springs on the Bon

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
Without a shop manual I don't know what the T100 fork internals look like. I just replaced the springs on my SV 650 track bike and got a wild idea to try fitting the stock SV springs in the Bonnie. Any thoughts or ideas. The forks themselves are the same length ( give or take a mm) And diameter.

ricky

Street Tracker
I think they fit but you'd wind up with the same crap you already have.

Sonic springs seem the way to go.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Just replaced stock springs in my T100 this week end. Stock spring was 12 7/8" long and the spacer above it was 7 7/8" for a total of 20 3/4". Spring outer diameter is about 1.350" and spacer outer diameter was 1.340". Spring inside diameter is 1". Any spacer you use should probably be hollow to allow oil to move through on compression. I put in Ikon's progressively wound springs which were quite a bit longer and call for a spacer of about 1/2". This called for physically pushing spring and spacer down about 3/8" to get cap back on fork. Stock springs had no preloaded compression (of course forks were fully extended when removing and refitting cap). So new spring and spacer must have been just over 21" long.

Hope this helps some.

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
:worthy: Excellent, thanks bro. The SV springs are jus starin at me on the bench. It's a 17" spring and the right diameter , and progressive. Gonna give em a shot with maybe a heavier oil. The SV is soft, but not Bonnie soft. For free I gotta try it. :D

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
For the record, the springs went in no problem. 30 mins , coupla spacers and bang, she,s off the hoist. A definite improvement, doesn't bounce through corners half as much, still nice in a straight line and less dive while braking. If I was payin I would have gone with the aftermarket, but if you know anyone with a pair layin around I highly recommend em. :headbang2:

Gonna give em a couple of weeks and see how she goes and may be tempted to "spring" for a thicker oil

Last edited:

Nick Morey

Rocker
Glad that worked out for ya. Their's no better upgrade than one that doesn't cost anything. You could also adjust the spring preload to a point by adding spacers (ie. washers). I suppose the trick would be getting the caps back on.

sv and bonnie fork springs are interchangeable. I forget which, but one aftermarket fork spring co has the same model #s for the sv and bonnie parts.

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
sv and bonnie fork springs are interchangeable. I forget which, but one aftermarket fork spring co has the same model #s for the sv and bonnie parts.

:chair: Where were ya when I needed ya :beer:

I should have checked while I had em off, but I also wonder if the SV preload adjusters would swap out. Or if not can they be bought for the Bonnie springs? When you realize what a simple device they are that they are not standard on all forks :wtf:

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
Just a little update after a week of riding and an extremely spirited, read fast, ride with a couple of buds on ZX 14, ZRX, FZ1, Busa an the wife on her Monster. :headbang2: Excellent mod. And I found there is a rev limit :eeek:

azgsa

Scooter
For the record, the springs went in no problem. 30 mins , coupla spacers and bang, she,s off the hoist. A definite improvement, doesn't bounce through corners half as much, still nice in a straight line and less dive while braking. If I was payin I would have gone with the aftermarket, but if you know anyone with a pair layin around I highly recommend em. :headbang2:

Gonna give em a couple of weeks and see how she goes and may be tempted to "spring" for a thicker oil

So you used the SV springs and the Bonne spacers?