Supply vs Demand at the Local Gun Shop

Kframe

Street Tracker
A month ago my favorite gun shop was selling DPMS Oracle AR-15 variants for about $700-900. Not the most excellent AR around, but not trash. Just needs a better trigger, mostly.
Of all types/brands, they had about 60 AR style rifles/carbines - a month ago.

Yesterday I stopped in and they were down to 6, when I left an hour later they were down to two. And those aren't of the original 40 either, they've moved about 160 in the past month.
Yesterday morning at 9am they started with 18, when I got there at noon they had the six.
Also, those $750 Oracle's are now $1899 and they're still moving fast.
A Colt HBAR II was priced at $2199, and a CAR-9 was on consignment for $3350.

Last month when I stopped in they had about 3000 rounds of .223/5.56 of various brands/weights/profiles on the shelves with another 7500 rounds in 500 rd boxes on the floor nearby.
Yesterday there were 8 (eight) boxes left in the store, each were 40 round boxes of Ultramax 62 gr. BTHP for $35 a box.

Glocks and other popular pistols are also moving, but not at the rate of the EBR's, but they're just about out of all the full-capacity magazines they've stocked.

This particular shop has a long-standing good relationship with their distributors and historically have been able to get guns that other dealers haven't (like the Ruger SR9 and the Ruger 1911, most recently) and the owner told me yesterday that his distributors can't promise him when ANY further AR's will be delivered; just that they'll come when they come, if they do at all.

Wow. Just, wow.

loxpump

Rocker
Looks like my purchase of an AR15A1 this past summer was good timing.
It's actually a hybred. Colt upper and Armalite lower. Just wanted one for nostalgia. The bayonet and mags I already had, forgot to turn them in. Have you tried gunbroker dot com?
Photo0735.jpg

Photo0734_001.jpg

Bonafide

NBR founder
I wanted a Kel Tec Sub 2000 (Glock 22 mag) 40 cal for Christmas. Had it on my list for 6 months .. put off buying it in the Fall, but did buy a Bushmaster Carbon-15 on sale for $640 OTD. The Kel Tec MSRP is $400, local shop sells them for $335 but told me it would be a year before delivery if I pre-paid-ordered it today. Found them online (gunbroker) being sold for $1000-1500 ..

I'm starting to figure I have plenty, find another hobby, and just shoot when given ammo through the my Agency. Who, btw, is upgrading to Gen4 Glocks and gave us the ability to buy-back our primary and back up pistols. I can probably triple my money if I re-sale them. HA!

Kframe

Street Tracker
I wanted a Kel Tec Sub 2000 (Glock 22 mag) 40 cal for Christmas. Had it on my list for 6 months .. put off buying it in the Fall, but did buy a Bushmaster Carbon-15 on sale for $640 OTD. The Kel Tec MSRP is $400, local shop sells them for $335 but told me it would be a year before delivery if I pre-paid-ordered it today. Found them online (gunbroker) being sold for $1000-1500 ..

I'm starting to figure I have plenty, find another hobby, and just shoot when given ammo through the my Agency. Who, btw, is upgrading to Gen4 Glocks and gave us the ability to buy-back our primary and back up pistols. I can probably triple my money if I re-sale them. HA!

You probably could! Especially on that Carbon-15, pretty much every AR from the Olympic Arms on up are being sold for a MINIMUM of $1500.
Anything considered 'high-quality' or with nice accessories (free-float handguard, fluted barrel, varmint length, two-stage triggers, etc) are going for north of $2k.
Definitely a seller's market right now!

henrys

Street Tracker
I have 2 hand guns and a hunting rifle. I don't quite understand how crazed people are over these AR style rifles. I've shot em and still don't get it. My hunting rifle is more powerful and accurate. The pistols and shotgun are better for self defense. What's the big deal? :shrug:

koifarm

Hooligan
Push comes to shove I'll haul out my AK-47....wtf.....if it comes to that....well, it won't be a lot of fun.....
On the other hand....the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.......I paid more than you did sounds like a fun argument....

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
The pistols and shotgun are better for self defense. What's the big deal? :shrug:

Not really, but I'm not getting into an argument about .. I'll state my educated opinion and leave it at that. I've spent 25 yrs (damn I'm the old guy now) on SRT, HRE, and CQB teams. Every tool has it's purpose, but the best all around would be what everyone is calling an "Assault Rifle" - in a short/condensed version. I would give a M4 or MP5 as examples. The pistol is a secondary weapon. I like a shotgun but it's a secondary choice for a primary .. breech some door hardware, less-lethal bean-bag .. or just plain ol psychological effect. Racking a shotgun is definitely a non-verbal clue it's fixing to get ugly.

koifarm

Hooligan
Was it not Audie Murphy who always said his pistol was just a way to allow him to get to his rifle ?

mikenva

Rocker
I have 2 hand guns and a hunting rifle. I don't quite understand how crazed people are over these AR style rifles. I've shot em and still don't get it. My hunting rifle is more powerful and accurate. The pistols and shotgun are better for self defense. What's the big deal? :shrug:
Its all a mater of what one likes just like what kind of car you drive or bike you ride.All of them can be fun and one can kill you as fast as the other.I find it funny how the news reports bad things.A few nuts use ar style rifles and to hear them talk they are evil.What if they had used a shot gun those poor kids would be just as dead.Hell at close range like the nut cases was at a sawed off shot gun might have hit 5 at one shot.Wonder what will happen when a nut comes along with a single shot bolt rifle and starts shooting people at 300 yrds .Then i guess all hunting rifles will be bad to.
Like the dude says theres a tool for every job it should be everyone chose to deside what they like.The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy thats better with a gun.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Guns as tools, guns for sport and guns that produce a powerful feeling in the owners.

Face it, the guys here who shoot do it because there's two reasons, one is for work like Bonafide the other is for sport. Either one give the shooter a feeling of power because, let's face it, guns are powerful. It's controlling that feeling of power that is problematic.

There's been two instances of cops shooting/killing family dogs here in the Mile Hi which has outraged the pet owners.... especially since one of the dogs was restrained.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Uh ... I shoot for self preservation, not for a feeling of power. Having good marksmanship is a perishable skill-set - so I practice to keep that skill-set sharp and in tune. I carry a gun off duty for self preservation .. not the feeling of power.

I do not know the circumstances in Mile High - NOR DO I CARE - as that has absolutely nothing to do with the current thread topic ... but I bet it had something to do with the Officers perceived threat to their self preservation.

mikenva

Rocker
I would not want go shooting with anyone that does because it gives them power .I shoot because i like it.Same reason I ride bikes.
back on the subject I wonder how reload suff is now?Are people buying them up to?

KingBear

Hooligan
Last Saturday I took delivery of two new HK rifles, an MR556 and an MR762, with a combined MSRP of $7,300.00. I got great prices on them (much less than MSRP) and I'd like to keep them both, but when I see the MR556 going for $6,000+ on GunBroker.com and the MR762 going for over $9,000, I'm thinking I might have to move one or both of them. I could easily clear $10,000,00 on the two of them. I love my guns (duh!) and i only buy the best, but I could buy another bike with that kind of money.

HKMR556-A1_1.jpg

Bonafide

NBR founder
Barry ... I'm right there with you. Those HKs are the shizzle .. but 3X the folding money is twice as nice.

KingBear

Hooligan
Not really, but I'm not getting into an argument about .. I'll state my educated opinion and leave it at that. I've spent 25 yrs (damn I'm the old guy now) on SRT, HRE, and CQB teams. Every tool has it's purpose, but the best all around would be what everyone is calling an "Assault Rifle" - in a short/condensed version. I would give a M4 or MP5 as examples. The pistol is a secondary weapon. I like a shotgun but it's a secondary choice for a primary .. breech some door hardware, less-lethal bean-bag .. or just plain ol psychological effect. Racking a shotgun is definitely a non-verbal clue it's fixing to get ugly.

What he said. The primary benefit of a handgun is size, portability and concealability. It is inferior in every other way to shoulder-fired small arms.