Superbrace - Worth the $$

boboso

Scooter
To those that have one...

Note - this is not a steering damper vs brace vs suspension set up post. thx

1) Does it aide the front end in a positive way?
2) Was it worth the $$?

I have had braces on older bikes back in the day, and they helped then. Not sure I should spend the duckets... (decent ROI)

This mod would be for my Thruxton which already has a steering damper, work performance DRS springs installed. I am looking at the F3 mod as well... maybe.

I tend to ride the Thruxton pretty hard on occasion and am actually looking at getting back into racing as well as another street bike (Street/Speed Triple, 848, etc - I cannot make up my mind) to satisfy my canyon carving cravings. I have decided to no longer mod the Thruxton too much, though I love it, I push it too hard (yes, it has seen track days as well - I am a firm believer on getting my ya-yas out on the track and not on the road).

Thanks!

PS - I posted here as more users, probably with more experience in the brace on the Triumphs.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I added one to my Thrux .. added it after the steering damper just as you're considering. I did not notice any 'feel-able' benefit from it. Looks cool .. and I know it's going to keep my forks from twistin out of shape in high speed cornering/bumps with the big meating design vs the factory fender brace ... but again, I felt no real gains from it on the street. My steering damper on the other hand .. I wont ride without it now-a-days and even switch it from one bike to another when I go for mountain run.

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
The new one for the gaiters I don't think it is worth that $... Geez!
I'm having some made, I'll post pics and sell them at a fair price

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I have a brace. I am not really sure if I can notice it or not. however, since there is no down side why be concerned about adding it.
I also have a dampner. No question about it... well worth the expense.

boboso

Scooter
Thanks, think I will skip it for now as the current price is equal to a set of tires, or an F3 conversion, or some emulators, a lot of ale, some good scotch and/or a weekend trip.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Hey Bob - I have the Hyde brace on both bikes - but that is because I lost the stock front fender mount on both bikes using custom fenders or forks or 17 inch wheels, whatever. But the stock fender mount on the thrux is quite stout and I don't think you'll see any difference. In fact the guys over at Traxxion Dynamics totally stay away from fender braces uless they are adjustable. They claim that a bad fitting brace will cause stiction and/or could lead to front end wobbles. Fred was at bonneville with Matts bikes and they had high speed wobbles until they removed the fork braces, which seemed the cure it.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
Hey Bob - I have the Hyde brace on both bikes - but that is because I lost the stock front fender mount on both bikes using custom fenders or forks or 17 inch wheels, whatever. But the stock fender mount on the thrux is quite stout and I don't think you'll see any difference. In fact the guys over at Traxxion Dynamics totally stay away from fender braces uless they are adjustable. They claim that a bad fitting brace will cause stiction and/or could lead to front end wobbles. Fred was at bonneville with Matts bikes and they had high speed wobbles until they removed the fork braces, which seemed the cure it.

John, who makes an adjustable brace? I don't think I have seen one.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
So if I were to put a set of Carrozzeria wheels, new tires, new brakes (the kit), etc. on my Bonneville, and didn't have a front fender or fender mount, should I put a brace on or leave it open?

This bike has the wheels I'm speaking of, w/ no fender or bracket and has the brace installed: http://www.britironrebels.com/botm6.shtml

Also (hate to derail but need help), what fender & bracket would be a bolt-on solution if I switched to a 17-18" front wheel?

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
John, who makes an adjustable brace? I don't think I have seen one.

Myke - no one I know of, it's what the Traxxion people recommended. A brace is good as long as it does not interfer with the action of the forks according to Traxxion. So if you had a brace that you clamped on each tube, with a "sliding" center section that you tightened after the whole front end was assembled and axel nuts torqued, that would be the ideal situation.

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
I remember on the ratsnest Jonah one of the Thruxton Cup Racers swearing by braces.
He was racing at the time without a steering dampner and had the Britishcustoms brace.