summer screen sure helps at high speed

mikenva

Rocker
I have had a summer screen on my bike for 2 years now ,today i took it off to clean the bike up.I took the bike out for a test ride and man I can tell you its no where near as easy on you over 100 mph with out it.If you like to ride fast try one you will like it.

GuyM

Street Tracker
I was very impressed at the difference the little Triumph "fly screen" made on my Scrambler at highway speeds. Amazed me that a postage-stamp size screen like that can actually make such a difference. The little screens are where it's at for me!

D9

Vendor
I have had a summer screen on my bike for 2 years now ,today i took it off to clean the bike up.I took the bike out for a test ride and man I can tell you its no where near as easy on you over 100 mph with out it.If you like to ride fast try one you will like it.

mike do you have a picture of your bike you can post? I'd like
to see it... I know it's the same color scheme as mine, but I'm interested
in how the summer screen looks on it...

TeeBee

scooter
I was very impressed at the difference the little Triumph "fly screen" made on my Scrambler at highway speeds. Amazed me that a postage-stamp size screen like that can actually make such a difference. The little screens are where it's at for me!

Ditto. I find that it raises comfortable cruising speed with 20-30 km/h.

RonD

Scooter
The trouble with the flyscreen, well what i found with mine was it did a great job, but because of its size it has its limitations.
and they were a hell of a lot of wind on the helmet and the noise that came with it. and because of its width the wind used to catch the edge of the jacket and annoy the crap out of me, maybe i should lose some weight..

jackblack

Scooter
Ive have just fitted a Dart Flyscreen seems to make a difference on my chest -didnt notice any wind noise change----Have yet to ride in the rain with it but going on a 800km ride next week with spring weather we are having most likely we will get a wet butt

mikenva

Rocker
I think how tall you are and i guess how wide you are maters as to what screen you need.I all so the bigger the screen the more it could slow you down cause it pulls more air. I think they look better with out a screen but hell i am getting old and it sure helps me now. Here the bike with and without

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1bike6-23-07.jpg
    1bike6-23-07.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0
I have been riding over 30 years and I never had nor would I ever put a shield on my bike.
I always thought they were for pussies. I would bust balls on any one that had one on there bike.

Well about 3 maybe 4 years ago I figured I would try one just for the winter months because it was to damn cold.

I got a good deal on the Triumph roadster shield so I bought it thinking I would hate the way it looked
and the way it felt blocking the wind.
I figured I would take the thing off faster then I could put it on.

One of the first things I noticed was I was going over 90 MPH and did not realize I was going that fast.
I also never realized how much I judged my speed by the wind I found myself constantly looking at the speedo to check my speed.

It turned out that I fuckin love having the shield. I still get plenty of wind to enjoy riding.
It is way more comfortable on the highway. I can hit a buck-ten with a good twist of the throttle and not feel like I'm going to get blown off the bike.
I can do long 200 + mile rides and not feel half as tired as I use to.
I absolutely love having the shield and I think it looks good on my bike.
I don't think I will ever ride with out one now.
And I can take any ball bustin that comes my way for having one.
I just give them a big smile and say yup.. wind shields are for pussies.

Bill

Picture004.jpg

fromBrucescookout.jpg

Billy,I could almost quote you word for word.Always looked down my nose at riders with windshields. I actually put my little hommade flyscreen on my Scram because I wanted to see what it would look like with a number plate(which is kinda cool,in my opinion).

Then I took it out for a ride,and found that it takes all the wind pressure off my torso,and redirects it at about collarbone level.It makes the ride more pleasant at anything above 60,or so.At speeds above 80, I'm just riding,rather than hanging on for dear life. At 90 and above,I can tuck down behind it,and instantly my speed pops up about 10 mph.

I didn't notice any difference in wind noise,but I find wind noise intolerable anyway,so whenever out of town I wear earplugs,or earbuds,so it's not a real issue with me.

Another unexpected benefit is that it makes the front end feel more planted at speed.Without it,the front end feels light over 85,or so.I didn't even notice it until I took it off.

Now I just gotta figure out a more permanent mount than zip ties!

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Screen

Just got a scooter w/ a screen. I was gonna leave it off as I didnt think I would like it? I wouldnt take that thing off no way!! God it keeps ya so much warmer, dryer, & overall comfortable!! Not sure I will get one for the Bonne?
Thats kinda my hot rod. The screen I have noticed (on the scoot) light, in strong wind can act like a sail a bit? Getting used to it tho & lovin it!! It rained on the wqay home from the Bonne & I didnt even notice it!! DONT use amonia (windex) cleaner on them tho!!!!! It will craze the hell outa it! A nice coat of wax or rain-X maybe? Not that sporty- but sure is fuckin comfortable!!!

D9

Vendor
mike thanks for posting pics... easy to imagine that screen and
the K&Q seat is the ticket for a long ride... your's & bills bikes
looks like they were separated at birth :D

mikenva

Rocker
yea we both are old pussy that ride our bikes to work lol.Idont like the looks of the K&Q seat much but my ass sure loves it.

schnabba

Two Stroke
form and function don't always intersect.... so if it works, hey - use it!

Windjammers and milk crates are where it's at!

Last edited:
I've seen that one before Seth. That guy posts on the NTBF forum.

I dig his bags, but not the fender...

looks like a bonnie crossbred with a 80s kz, with a little V'strom thrown in. Cool!